IGNORED

Links Or Parkland?

Note: This thread is 4997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Links Or Parkland?

• Links
    • Parkland
    • Not Sure

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which do you prefer to play on?

More challenging? How do you mean? Parkland can be very hard depending on course design. Different challenges...yes. Harder....not necessarily.

Sorry for using a different adjective than you, but based off of your

Sand != links golf. At least not by literal definition. I'd happily equate an inland course made in the style of an old links on the same soil

as a links...but not everyone will .
As has been indicated by a few previous posters, unless they've been to the UK or Ireland, most Americans have never played a links course and many of them don't know what a links is....//.....ground like a pinball by the heaving land is the essence of links golf.

It was a VERY long post but much appreciated.

Links is essentially what the name implies. A piece of land (usually reclaimed from the sea) which "links" the coast to more cultivated/residential land.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted not sure. I have never played on a true links course so I don't know how I would like it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

More challenging? How do you mean? Parkland can be very hard depending on course design. Different challenges...yes. Harder....not necessarily.

A links course on a windy, wet day is more challenging than any parkland course.

Think about the Open. When it's windy the pro's are lucky to shoot under par.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

A links course on a windy, wet day is more challenging than any parkland course. Think about the Open. When it's windy the pro's are lucky to shoot under par.

Well, obviously we're moving far away from preference when we're now talking about difficulty.

That said, if we asked a pro golfer whether he would rather play the toughest British Open layout on the toughest of days or play the toughest of U.S. Open set up to be murderous but play it on a perfect day with no wind ... he'll take The British Open loop in a heartbeat. Don't think so? Winged Foot '74 Link-styled courses need to rely on the wind to put bite in the course. At parkland courses they need only put the tees at the tips, lengthen the rough and speed up the greens. Then, courses that are already tough just the way the members play it become a blood bath. There were plenty of pros that were 30 over after only two rounds at the '74 U.S. Open.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Well, obviously we're moving far away from preference when we're now talking about difficulty.

U.S open takes it to extremes though.

In general a links course is tougher. I see your point but I'd prefer to have a long tough set up than having to play in high winds on a links course.
Link-styled courses need to rely on the wind to put bite in the course.

Most of the time they are windy.

I'd choose the links course over a U.S open layout though If I had to pick the easier.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

A links course on a windy, wet day is more challenging than any parkland course.

It patently is not, at least not necessarily. There is much to do with the course set up so you cannot equate them in this way.

I doubt it. Can I hear you say Carnoustie '99 - winning score +6?

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

iacas has it right about the US courses not being "true" links courses for the most part. Since I've never played on a real links course, I voted for parkland, as - another poster noted - "its purrrdy". Love the walk in the country.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

I doubt it. Can I hear you say Carnoustie '99 - winning score +6?

I can but I prefer to say Winged Foot '74 - winning score +7.

They don't call it the 'Massacre at Winged Foot' for nothing. When they write a book about Carnoustie '99, let us know. ;) Keep in mind that you made the CUT at Winged Foot if you shot +35 over par the first two days ... 'nuff said? Here's an article about it with some great quotes from those that were there. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Two comments

1 - Your speculation as to what another player might choose is just that - speculation. 2 - Most of us play golf for fun so the opinion of someone who plays golf for a living really has no meaning. I don't care what kind of course a tour player might prefer. I believe that the links style of golf has the bigger potential for fun. IMHO

The Best links courses that i've ever player/seen are on Long Island, NY.

Shinnecock Hills, National Golf Links of America, Long Island National Golf Club, Cherry Creek Golf Links (home to Long Island's only par 6), to name a few.

Winged foot is close to LI too.

Plus there is Bethpage, though that is parkland

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I can but I prefer to say Winged Foot '74 - winning score +7.

Who cares? If you want a "my dick's bigger than yours" competition, go find someone else.

Who cares? If you want a "my dick's bigger than yours" competition, go find someone else.

No more like 'put up or shut up.' Apparently, you're doing neither.

When you have to trick up a super-long course with knee high rough and greens like a tabletop, it goes beyond tough and becomes unfair.

I've never heard a cavalcade of interviews after a tough day at the British Open where people "hint" at an unplayable course.

I suspect that on a tough links or parkland (or prairie or mountain) course, most golfers on this site would embarass themselves. They'd never admit that though - it's the interweb.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd have to go with the links style.

It is true. Faced with pros with modern equipment, links courses do rely on on a set of natural defences, the wind being one of them.

I think it was the green keeper at Turnerry who said something along the lines of:

"the prevailing wind is from the East, but it never blows from there"

The strength of the wind is only one part of the equation. The way the wind swirls around is another.

This is a really tuff question, I never played United Kingdom so I guess I never played a true links course. That said I've play many links style course from california to the OBX. I really enjoy Links style course and have scored good and bad on them, but I think I'm more comfortable on a Parkland course. I will say I love the look of desert courses but never seem to play them well, probably a lot closer to wind condition in theUnited Kingdom.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

Note: This thread is 4997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!