IGNORED

watching a spot on TGC yesterday... head movement?

Note: This thread is 6480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so i know a lot of people say to keep your head still and all that but i was watching TGC the other day.. i dont remember what show but they were doing something with driving tips and they mentioned about how its ok if your head moves a little between setup and the top of your backswing. i never really had a problem with head movement but i was curious just how much my head moved so i took a few swings in front of a mirror and noticed my head didnt move at all.

could this mean i'm not getting optimum hip/shoulder turn and possibly am selling my self short on power?

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

so i know a lot of people say to keep your head still and all that but i was watching TGC the other day.. i dont remember what show but they were doing something with driving tips and they mentioned about how its ok if your head moves a little between setup and the top of your backswing. i never really had a problem with head movement but i was curious just how much my head moved so i took a few swings in front of a mirror and noticed my head didnt move at all.

I think that head movement or the phrase 'keep your head down' is vastly overrated. Whenever I talk to someone, I try and tell them not to focus on their head, but their spine angle. You don't want it to move up or down through impact. That is where the fat and thin shots come from.

I don't think keeping your head still is robbing you of power. Most power is lost (in my opinioin) in the hands and wrists by casting, or releasing, the clubhead too early. Just make sure you maintain the wrist angle as long as possible in your downswing, snapping it off as your hands return to their position at address.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with the above, except you should

swivel? when you say swivel you know that means to actually turn your head right? anyway, the spot on TGC was talking about your head simply sliding or shifting towards your back leg.. nothing about swiveling.

200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW

swivel? when you say swivel you know that means to actually turn your head right? anyway, the spot on TGC was talking about your head simply sliding or shifting towards your back leg.. nothing about swiveling.

Didn't Linda Blair's head

swivel in "The Exorcist"? Didn't look like that would work well in a golf swing...

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I think that head movement or the phrase 'keep your head down' is vastly overrated....

do you know why PGA teaching instructors tell most of the people to keep their heads down during lessons ? So they can't see them LAUGHING behind their back

do you know why PGA teaching instructors tell most of the people to keep their heads down during lessons ? So they can't see them LAUGHING behind their back

ahahaha, i took you for the serious type :] i guess i was wrong. polish pride! hahaha. but yeah, head movement? bleh.

200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW

Often, on my backswing, my left shoulder hits my chin forcing my head to turn to the right. I think this is what is meant by swivel. Also, Jack Nicklaus' inital move before he took the club away was to turn his head to the right...another example of a swivel.

Hey, they don't get out that much during the day so they have to have some other form of entertainment other than watching TGC all day.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!