IGNORED

Rule Changes

Lefty2380
Note: This thread is 6468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I post this thread so as to see what people would like to change about the rules...It would be my hopes that people respond with ideas, however outragous they be, as to how things would change if you could change any aspect(s) of the game...from pointless rules to local rules to random game points, what would be different if you were the big guy? I'm going to throw out a few of my own, to get this started...

1) (this is just me being picky) did you know the maximum length of your Tee cannot exceed 4 inches?? Yes, i would probably never want anything more than that (i use a 3 1/4" most of the time) but i dont see how you can limit it...oh well, its just me being weird...i wouldn't have a limit on stuff like that...

2) I would like to extend the par for courses, meaning having longer pars, no limit to the size. maybe this could happen when we play on the moon and it takes our ball about 2 hours to land.

In My Bag:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Ti 454 9*
3 wood: Taylor Made 300 series
5 wood: Orlimar trimetal
Irons: Taylor Made 360 seriesWedges: Cleveland 56*, Tommy Armor 60*Putter: Carbite center shaft

• Administrator
1) (this is just me being picky) did you know the maximum length of your Tee cannot exceed 4 inches?? Yes, i would probably never want anything more than that (i use a 3 1/4" most of the time) but i dont see how you can limit it...oh well, its just me being weird...i wouldn't have a limit on stuff like that...

You've never heard of someone teeing a ball up on a scorecard pencil? It's a good way (if you have the coordination to find the center of the clubface) to add a good 10 to 15 yards. "Tee it high and let it fly" - a lower tee promotes accuracy, and a taller tee distance (and a draw, too, since the higher the tee the more around your body you tend to swing). If there was no limit, no doubt someone would come up with a 10" tee or something.

2) I would like to extend the par for courses, meaning having longer pars, no limit to the size. maybe this could happen when we play on the moon and it takes our ball about 2 hours to land.

As in par 6? Par 7? There is really no limit to "par" in the rules, IIRC. There are a few par 6s around the world.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lefty2380,

The longest golf hole in the world is a 908 yard par 7 hole at the Sano Course in Satsuki, Japan. I can think of a few others off the top of my head, one in China, one in South Carolina, and one in Michigan I believe, as par 7's as well.

As in par 6? Par 7? There is really no limit to "par" in the rules, IIRC. There are a few par 6s around the world.

You don't have links to these longer than average holes do you? Would be cool to see what they look like...

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Lefty2380,

There's an 841 yard par 6 right here in Virginia at Meadows Farms Golf Course. Held the record as the world's longest hole for a long time. Took a par last time I played it

The course itself is nothing special though. Here's a link on how to play it...

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Back to the subject, rules changes---I would change one rule, out of bounds. It should be 1 stroke, 2 club lengths from entry point. Stoke and distance is tough, especially at public courses where play is usually backed up with a group on the green, fairway and tee sometimes the entire round. This would speed up play and how many golfers are legit with this ruling?
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

• Administrator
Back to the subject, rules changes---I would change one rule, out of bounds. It should be 1 stroke, 2 club lengths from entry point. Stoke and distance is tough, especially at public courses where play is usually backed up with a group on the green, fairway and tee sometimes the entire round. This would speed up play and how many golfers are legit with this ruling?

I disagree. I like that OB is a "killer" penalty. I'm not sure a lost ball should be stroke and distance (especially when you play in the northern states with lots of leaves in the fall), but it's not like OB is often decided by luck. Aim away from it or take the tremendous risk of going out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I disagree. I like that OB is a "killer" penalty. I'm not sure a lost ball should be stroke and distance (especially when you play in the northern states with lots of leaves in the fall), but it's not like OB is often decided by luck. Aim away from it or take the tremendous risk of going out.

I agree with the OB penaly as does Erik, but disagree with the lost ball one.

How would you know where to drop for one thing? Especially on blind shots. Also, if you have leaves etc in the rough don't hit it there (I know easily said than done - especially for us mid-handicappers but still....) One thing I hate though, is smashing a great drive right done the middle of the fairway and having my ball end up in someones divot and having to play out of it. If it's in the orugh fine, I've hit a less than perfect shot, but down the middle....IMHO you should be able to drop out of it - luckily at my club we're playing clean and place on your own mown at the moment so it isn't an issue, but tomorrow is the first round of our match-play champs and it'll be play the lie. Apart from that I think the rules are pretty fair to everyone, and seeing as a rule book is free with membership no-one should be ignorant of them - and if they are look it up...!!!
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Note: This thread is 6468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!