IGNORED

It's Too Bad; This Could've Been The Year

bogeyhitter25
Note: This thread is 5245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The fact of the matter is that so many other factors come into play, it was far from a guarantee that he would win the slam. I agree that he is "due" at Augusta, but since they have added a lot of trees, and put a greater premium on driving accuracy, Augusta is no longer Tiger's personal playground. However, even with all of this going on, he still may come back, play a tournament or two before Augusta, and win. That is just what he does.

As far as the U.S. Open as Pebble Beach, I think it would be asinine to say that he would not be a heavy favorite. I mean, he won by 15 last time! Now, do I think he would lap the field again? Not really, but he is a heavy favorite if he decides to play.

St. Andrews is Tiger's favorite golf course. I think that if he plays there, he will win. I think going over to St. Andrews allows Tiger to completely get away from all distractions, and just play golf. However, nothing is a sure thing, so we can't assume that he will automatically win there as well.

Tiger loves the PGA championship and has won it 4 times. I would say that if he plays, he has a good chance (As always).

If Tiger plays in all four majors this year, I do not think that recent problems will have a profound impact on his success. I was picking him to win 2 out of 4 before the problems, and I still think he will come back and win the U.S. Open and British Open.

That's the thing - we don't know what may or may not hang over his head. He might, as some said, feel a sense of relief, and a burden lifted. Who knows? We don't even know what will happen with his wife and kids, the rest of his sponsors, his schedule.

Very well stated!

If Tiger plays in all four majors this year, I do not think that recent problems will have a profound impact on his success. I was picking him to win 2 out of 4 before the problems, and I still think he will come back and win the U.S. Open and British Open.

I agree 100% with that. If he plays and wins in Augusta, and that's a huge if, I think we could very well have a Grand Slam this year.

"St. Andrews is Tiger's favorite golf course. I think that if he plays there, he will win. I think going over to St. Andrews allows Tiger to completely get away from all distractions, and just play golf. However, nothing is a sure thing, so we can't assume that he will automatically win there as well."

I feel that Tiger will more than likely have a very good year but I could not agree less with the above statement. I don't thing there are any worse tabloids in the world than in Great Britain so getting away fron the distractions at the British isn't going to happen. I think he would be the favorite but no way is it distraction free.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

To me there are 2 slams: Hogan's and Tiger's. Hogan won every major he could have won back in 1953, didn't he? So that should count as a slam (and if you think about it, the only Grand Slam really). I wouldn't consider ~Tiger's a grand slam, but rather just a tiger slam. And yes, he has a really good chance at the Grand Slam this year

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

To me there are 2 slams: Hogan's and Tiger's. Hogan won every major he could have won back in 1953, didn't he? So that should count as a slam (and if you think about it, the only Grand Slam really). I wouldn't consider ~Tiger's a grand slam, but rather just a tiger slam. And yes, he has a really good chance at the Grand Slam this year

Hogan didn't play in the PGA that year, so no, he didn't win the Slam.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Hogan didn't play in the PGA that year, so no, he didn't win the Slam.

I was going to say 'Hogan had no choice' but, of course, he did.

The PGA clashed with the British Open that year and he had to choose which one to play in; he chose The Open. The calendar clash was not of his making. Would he have won the PGA, having won three Majors and so much else besides? Impossible to say - but he was known for not liking matchplay format. However, he won all the Majors he could play in - maximum of three. Just a thought - had someone won all three US Majors during WW2, what would the reaction have been? (Also - Bobby Jones won a Grand Slam, in 1930)

Just a thought - had someone won all three US Majors during WW2, what would the reaction have been?

I'm guessing you knew this and are asking hypothetically, but JIC:

The US Open was not held 1942-1945. PGA was not held 1943. Masters was not held 1943-1945. So perhaps the question is reduced to - had same person won the PGA and Masters in 1942, wouild that have been a Slam?

I'm guessing you knew this and are asking hypothetically, but JIC:

I was actually thinking particularly of 1940-41 - we got the party started early, this side of the Atlantic!

. I don't thing there are any worse tabloids in the world than in Great Britain so getting away fron the distractions at the British isn't going to happen. I think he would be the favorite but no way is it distraction free.

Have to disagree with you there. The Brits have the BEST tabloids in the world, as tabloids go of course. Compared to them, our tabloids over here are pretty lame, although NE makes a strong showing. Of course, since I never, ever read them myself this remark is largely inferential ...

When it comes to tabloids, 'good' is bad. But I quibble and you're right of course. Just look at the treatment that Mac the Brat (John McEnroe) got in the press in the U.K. back in the day. OTOH don't forget that the British are true sports lovers, and in no sport more so than golf. This means that, while Tiger will be dissected and speculated upon as an individual, he will be given his due respect as a golfer. hmmm, what we need in this whole TW saga (for the British tabloids) is some link to Royalty. Anyone hear of anything in that line?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!