IGNORED

getting an official handicap?

prutkows
Note: This thread is 6481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hmm.. im sure this was already discussed or explained somewhere, but how do i determine my exact handicap? if it has something to do with the course/slope rating, how do i calculate it if i dont always play the same course?

im asking because i just picked up my clubs again maybe 2 months ago and the handicap i have listed here is just an approximation of how many shots over par i was on average before i stopped playing. since ive started playing again, ive played 17 rounds. my scores ranged from 75-79 (par 72)

so yeah, handicap calculator?

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

• Administrator
hmm.. im sure this was already discussed or explained somewhere, but how do i determine my exact handicap? if it has something to do with the course/slope rating, how do i calculate it if i dont always play the same course?

Two articles that may help:

http://thesandtrap.com/archives/rule...r_handicap.php http://thesandtrap.com/archives/the_...bet_or_two.php You shoot low enough that it would behoove you to get an official handicap. Your home course doesn't offer the service? Many of the handicap calculators online are unofficial.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you want to play in USGA sanctioned events, then you have to get an official USGA handicap. Before I belonged to a USGA sanctioned club, I used to keep an "unofficial" handicap online, but it was not valid for USGA events.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

If you're not a member of a club and don't have a regular course that offers handicaps, but both Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy (and I'm sure there are some others) offer "clubs w/o real estate" through which you can get an "official USGA handicap" for $25-30 a year. You can enter scores over the internet or at any course with NGN access. It also helps if you have a buddy or two join the same club so you can attest each other's scores. I will say thought that these "clubs" meet the USGA definition the same way that belly putters do ... kind of loosely.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks for all the help.
i dont really have a "home" course. im not sure exactly how you define "home" but i dont really play any 1 course regularly, and im not part of any golf clubs/teams.

i'll definitely look into getting an official one before i head off to college, i'll definitely get one by the end of christmas vacataion though.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Note: This thread is 6481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!