IGNORED

Golf & Smoking

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 5163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back when golfers smoked, it was much easier to line up your shots from the fairway: Dozens of little white "aiming points" to use. Maybe that's why it's so rough to break 90 lately...

This is funny....I used to have golf partners all smokers. They claim that help them less tense and better swing.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

An addiction is what made Tiger meet up with over a dozen women who are worth nothing to him but it made him risk untold millions of dollars in income to be with them.

I have to adamantly disagree with this statement (unless you were joking). Multi-million dollar atheletes get poon tossed at them like frisbees every day - many of them are faithful to their wives and family. Those that bang chicks on the side are simply adulterers, not "addicts". He has money, hot women threw themselves at him, and he simply didn't respect his family enough to say no.

This sex addict claim is simply a his agents idea of a good cover story to save face - unfortunately, our society can take a sad, pathetic act, deem it an addiction, and then forgive it away. I mean no personal offense to you, but I find Tiger's claim to be rediculous and shameful.

The PC cops are out in force these days trying to correct what they deam as bad. I say we ban over weight people from eating fast food on TV. LOL

They have avoided as much as possible showing the players smoking on TV for at least 30 years. It's not like it's a new policy. It isn't just PC, it has to do with the image that the tour generally wants to portray.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see your point but it all boils down to whats politicaly correct.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I feel it has nothing to do with PC in general. I think it has to do with golf being taken seriously as a "televised" sport that athletic people play.

This goes to the casual viewer who probably does not even play the sport on a regular basis. (like more than once a year or even less) But still are courted as viewers for ratings. Like most major sports WAY more people watch them on TV than play them currently. So you show a top 100 player (less than make the Pro Bowl in football every year) and they are competing at the top level with a cig in their mouth? How does that betray the sport to the average viewer? Bad for image yes.....bad for the integrity of the athletism involved to be a top pro....even worse IMHO. After all perception is reality. Me I don't really care. I like to watch golf.....but love to play it even more.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Really? OMG, John Daly was smoking a cigarette on TV!

LOL. I have to agree--The nerve of John to smoke a cigarett and on TV at that!

I still disagree. They are trying to protect an image, legitimate or not, of a good clean, upstanding player roster. They are not taking a stand on the rightness or wrongness of smoking. The policy of not showing players smoking on camera was instituted long before the phrase "politically correct" was even coined.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I still disagree. They are trying to protect an image, legitimate or not, of a good clean, upstanding player roster. They are not taking a stand on the rightness or wrongness of smoking. The policy of not showing players smoking on camera was instituted long before the phrase "politically correct" was even coined.

After further though I have come around to your take on the issue. Not cool to show athletes puffing away on a smoke. I'm an old school kind of guy and I have to admit, I'm slow to take to the way things are today.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

• 3 weeks later...
kleraudio hit the nail on the head!

In my bag, I carry
Karsten 7* IST 3wood 1200LT 5wood
MP-14 3i-PW
MP-Tseries 56-10 RawHaze
Golfsmith Attack 60-10 DeepRed Fluid Feel putter w/fatshaft proV1's when I can afford 'emCourses I love to play: http://pebblecreekgolf.org/ http://www.byronhills.com/ http://www.golfmohr.com/http://ww.....

I think we should ban smoking in the united states. Its just not right for our kids to see that. But if they ever dare take off the re runs of the saw series on SciFi, then Im gonna have to take issues....

Smoking is not athletic? Cigars and......

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

The best squash player in my college (by far) was a major league smoker. That fellow was a brilliant player and very athletic (about 21 years old). He used to light up between games, which he almost invariably won handily.

'Course I don't know if he's alive today .....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

They have avoided as much as possible showing the players smoking on TV for at least 30 years. It's not like it's a new policy. It isn't just PC, it has to do with the image that the tour generally wants to portray.

Same for the POTUS I suspect.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!