IGNORED

washing grips...

Note: This thread is 6056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whats up everyone, I was just wondering if any of you wash your grips and if you do so, what is your method of washing them and how often do you wash them? I just got a new set of clubs and would like to make the grips last as long as I can so any info on if this practice is helpful or harmful to the grips would be greatly appreciated.

ZEBRA

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

Whats up everyone, I was just wondering if any of you wash your grips and if you do so, what is your method of washing them and how often do you wash them? I just got a new set of clubs and would like to make the grips last as long as I can so any info on if this practice is helpful or harmful to the grips would be greatly appreciated.

zebrasinamerica,

A touch of dishwashing soap in a bucket combined with a green scotchbrite scouring pad works wonders for cleaning grips. The scotchbrite is abrasive enough to get rid of dirt and rough up the grip a bit, but not so abrasive that it actually removes any of the rubber. This works wonders on cord grips especially, removing all the dirt, oils, and bringing some of the cord material back to the surface. Just remember to rinse them thoroughly with clean water when done. You don't want your clubs to start lathering when you're at the range.

G-C I tried the scotch brite pad on my wedge that the grip was awful on and it worked like a charm, it's got a cord grip on it and it feels like new again. One question though, will this method work on Tour Velvets also?

thanks

ZEBRA

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

G-C I tried the scotch brite pad on my wedge that the grip was awful on and it worked like a charm, it's got a cord grip on it and it feels like new again. One question though, will this method work on Tour Velvets also?

Zebra,

Glad to hear it worked. It will most definately work for standard rubber grips. However, you will likely need to repeat the process more often to restore the tack and remove dirt and oil. Also, don't forget that traditional rubber grips need to be replaced more frequently than cord grips, so keep that in mind. All grips have a lifespan, and once they reach their limit, no amount of washing will help.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I used very hot water to clean my fairly new Tour Velvet grips - no soap - and the tackiness is gone. I'll try your Scotchbrite solution, but any other suggestions (besided new grips)?

Rob

Why question the quality and cleanliness of your grips and gloves?

They're the connectors to those top quality clubs one has chosen to put in one's bag. If those connectors slip even as much as a micro-millimeter...

I regrip probably too much (yet clean them religiously). But I don't spend a lot on equipment changes either.

Note: This thread is 6056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!