IGNORED

Beginner Friendly in Palm Spring?

Note: This thread is 5137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im gonna head out there and I really want my wife to get into golf. It is amazing it has taken this long, I've played as long as I have known her and was a pro when we first got married. Well anyway...we go to the desert a lot and i think that would be a great opportunity to have her throw some balls down and play a little....I know how to herd a beginner around a course in a speedy manner so I am not worried about that. Any course that you would suggest out there?

I had been playing regulation courses for less than a year when I played Cimmarron. It didn't completely kick my butt. Shortly after I broke 100 for the first time (on an easy course), I went and played East Valley Golf Club (formerly PGA So Cal), and kept it under 110.

Both host professional events, too - Cimmarron hosts a Pepsi Tour stop and EVGC hosts one of the Q-School rounds. So you should have some fun at these, too. Cimmarron also has an executive course on premises, in case she decides she'd rather play that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently played Escena (Palm Springs) and it was a great experience. The course a lot to offer. It can be challenging from the back two tees and comfortable from the front. The fairways are generous but there is a good amount of sand. Wonderful staff and a nice restaurant and some of the better rates in the desert.

Srixon Z-RW 8.5* Matrix XCON 6
Callaway Steelhead Plus 15* Rifle 7.0
Cleveland Halo Hybrid 19*
MacGrecor Pro-C Forged 3-PW Rife 6.5
Cleveland Wedges 53* 58*YES! Tracy

Im gonna head out there and I really want my wife to get into golf. It is amazing it has taken this long, I've played as long as I have known her and was a pro when we first got married. Well anyway...we go to the desert a lot and i think that would be a great opportunity to have her throw some balls down and play a little....I know how to herd a beginner around a course in a speedy manner so I am not worried about that. Any course that you would suggest out there?

congrats i boguht my mom clubs since she complains we dont spend enough time toghether and how she needs to work out.

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

For a beginner I'd suggest Tommy Jacobs' Bel Air Greens. It's a 9 hole executive type course with short par 4s and small greens. Very relaxing. Low green fee and I was able to get the local rate from a kid in the pro shop. Nice low key driving range and lighted putting green including bunker practice. I've spent many an hour at that course preparing for rounds at the hot shot venues the next day. My dad likes it, whenever he's visited me in Las Vegas and we drive to Palm Springs. I like to skip the ball through the pond fronting #9. :)

I've played Tahquitz Creek a few times. They have two 18s there (Resort and Legend). I like the Legend course better, and it's cheaper! If you want to be blown away you need to play Desert Willow. That course is fantastic.

For the beginner I would check out Indian Palms. It's a little ways away in between indio and La quinta but if you golf in the morning, which I recommend, you can have a nice lunch in La quinta. I'd check their website out. It has 27 holes that aren't to difficult but the course is always in great shape. It's also good for a beginner I think because if you go early in the morning during the weekday you are pretty much alone. A lot of the residents are older and don't get out early in the morning and even just during the week.

I've played Tahquitz Creek a few times. They have two 18s there (Resort and Legend). I like the Legend course better, and it's cheaper! If you want to be blown away you need to play Desert Willow. That course is fantastic.

Liked Legend better? What about it? I played both last summer and thought the resort course was nicer (although I played 7 shots better on Legend).

But Legend is very beginner friendly without being a pushover for me ( ~16 hcp at the time).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Liked Legend better? What about it? I played both last summer and thought the resort course was nicer (although I played 7 shots better on Legend).

I haven't played either for while so they may have changed. I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the resort course when the legend when I played it was always well taken care of.

I haven't played either for while so they may have changed. I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the resort course when the legend when I played it was always well taken care of.

Fair enough. I have no complaints about the Legend course. I played last August, so they each were incredibly cheap.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 5137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!