IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Played 9 holes today. My swing thoughts was make a chest turn only backswing, feel the club pause at A3, swing down.

I was push cutting some drives early and pushing a few irons early. The last 5 holes the driver was better. The ball flight was really good. Not Super high. Mostly straight to slight pull draws.

I absolutely obliterated the ball with the 3 wood off the deck. To bad I hit a tree limb I was trying to keep it under. Probably the best I ever hit a 3 wood.

The irons were a tad heavy tonight, so just not getting forward enough. I still need to turn. When I did, they were pretty solid.

I need to get a short game practice in soon to sharpen that up. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I need to get out to the range this week to get some practice.  The swing on the course isn’t terrible. Not missing it horribly, just not sharp. Probably need to feel it a bit shorter and be more aggressive down. I am feeling the pause at the top and then I kind of lazy it. 

Distance wedge contact is really good. Need to practice distance control. Pitching good. Putting is good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Balls 1-30: 5-6 practice swings focusing on backswing length and right arm position. Then make a swing trying to pause the swing at the top and feel a good position.

I also intermixed in a few chippy shots to different flags to practicing backswing length control. 

Last 5, making a backswing focusing on it stopping at A3-A3.5. Then swinging down. When I turn through (right side forward) with this, very good shots. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes after brunch. Shot a 36, two birdie, two bogies, rest pars. 

Need to be better off the tee. Longer clubs will take time to learn to swing shorter. Hit some really good iron shots. 

4-iron from 210 to 15'
5-iron from 205 to 20'
52-deg from 105 to 3'

I found I was aiming a bit right with my clubs. Probably from protecting against hitting it left. I stripped an 8 iron on a par 3, and it felt like a straight cut. I put a club on the ground where I was aiming, and yep, straight cut. I was just aiming 10 yards right of where I wanted.

I just need to make sure I turn, get my right side through. When I do this, I don't really hit my tee shots off line that much. When I don't it can get a bit wild. If I do not do this with my irons, I just hit them slightly fat. 

Distance wedges are getting better. The training to control my backswing length is helping out there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driving Range with the Driver. This is going to take some work.

This one is me feeling like the hands slow down at A2.5 to A3. I like the feeling of the hands slowing down. I fling the club up to A3.5-ish, and feel the hands and turn slow down.

I could do it a bit sooner. This is probably as long as I want it ever to be.

Shot pattern right now is a slight pull cut to a bit of an over cut. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driving range session working on keeping the driver swing shorter. 

This swing, I would take the club back very short looking back as I did so I could tell how far the club went back. Then I would  try to feel my club stopping there for the actual swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, I’m having a strange ball flight. Supper high push slices. Maybe straight slices. I’m hitting it out of the center of the club face, flushing it. The ball flight is not matching  what my swing and contract feel like. Going to have to go to the range to figure out why. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I mean… Feel ain't real. You know that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

58 minutes ago, iacas said:

I mean… Feel ain't real. You know that.

True. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yea, backswing goes from shallow to steep to much. At A3, the club is noticeably shallower than at A5.  The club is being sent out and in a bit through impact.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Right elbow stays bent too long perhaps.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Right elbow stays bent too long perhaps.

Would you be able to explain this further? Not sure I understand when it should straighten. 

@saevel25 sorry didn’t mean to hijack your swing thread 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Would you be able to explain this further? Not sure I understand when it should straighten. 

It's too bent too long. It should begin widening more. The longer it stays bent, the more it is carried out.

Some work on losing the right elbow angle sooner. 

At any speed right now, this feels more like I am casting the club than losing the right elbow angle. So, more work on getting what the good feel of this is. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just to look at the good things. It's good to find the positives. 

1. Backswing length, much better. 
2. Overall how the body is turning is better. It's probably the best it looks right now. 

Thoughts on what I need to work on.

1) Keeping the right elbow from collapsing so much in the backswing. Might be time to invest in some swimming floatation devices 😉. It might be easier for me to get the angle out of my right elbow if I had less angle there to begin with. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some video of me practicing. 

The feels that seem to work is feeling the orientation of my right wrist at A3 to keep the club more vertical.  Trying to feel the right elbow stays soft from A1 to A3, but still maintaining flex at A3

Here is a slow motion swing at the end practice. 

I would say this swing looks better. 
1. At A3, I need to keep better width, with more wrist hinge and not let the right elbow collapse as much. I am trying to make it so my swing stops at A3.5. I rather have it stop there than continue onto A4. Just because that is where my turn is just past 90 degrees. I do not need to take it to A4, where I turn like 115+ degrees. 
2. Could shoulders be a bit steeper?
3. I like how the hips are turning here. My butt stays out at A5.5, and I transition to my left hip way better than before. Lots of room for the arms to swing down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
On 7/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, saevel25 said:

1) Keeping the right elbow from collapsing so much in the backswing. Might be time to invest in some swimming floatation devices 😉. It might be easier for me to get the angle out of my right elbow if I had less angle there to begin with. 

Yep.

Played 18 today at Brookledge Golf Club. One of the better municipal golf courses. 

Driver - I still struggle with my cut off the tee. I am not getting my arms down soon enough in the downswing and I am a bit stuck. Mostly because I don’t do the backswing good enough.

Irons - this was really good. Much easier to feel the right elbow stuff. The downswing feel is feeling the pressure of the grip in the palm of my right hand as I bring is down. Like I’m hitting with my right palm more. If I hit a good shot, I feel the grip pressure my right hand when the club is at A5.5. The pressure from the grip is felt from the part of the hand on top of the grip. 

pitching - good, just got to convince myself to pivot on certain shots. My routing now is to pick out a spot to land the ball and just focus on that spot. I got away from worrying about technique as much. 

Putting - really good. I am trying to putt more with feeling the pressure in my right palm. From base of index finger to the bottom of the hand at the center of the wrist. Just feeling the grip maintains pressure there and I and putting with the palm of my right hand more. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag