IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Time to simplify down my process.

1. Keep working on making the swing shorter - Primary feel is the right elbow depth and position. 
2. Keep working on the right shoulder feel - Right now it's 50/50 left arm down faster and right shoulder turn. 

Pitching - I just need to keep working on it. I feel like I am getting better results more often than bad results.  

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thinking back to my best round last year. I think I need to somehow channel the change from swing thoughts to shot shape. I am thinking I am stuck in technical mode on the course and it's not producing consistent results. Even if I am doing things decently. I think I am losing sight and intent of what shot I actually want to produce on the course.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Thinking back to my best round last year. I think I need to somehow channel the change from swing thoughts to shot shape. I am thinking I am stuck in technical mode on the course and it's not producing consistent results. Even if I am doing things decently. I think I am losing sight and intent of what shot I actually want to produce on the course.

When you're practicing, practice.

When you're playing, play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

When you're playing, play.

Yep..

I just got to figure out how to get a feel/thought/visualization that works on the course that doesn't make me feel too technical (replicating practice).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range.

Backswing, slower and keeping my right elbow closer to my left. 

Downswing - right hand down with shoulder turn. I feel like I need to start the downswing with my hands going down in front of me. 

These swings do not need to see the course. The driver is going to need work. Prepare to cringe. 

This one is feeling the backswing is at 10% speed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The one thing I might try is standing a bit further away from the ball. I think I look a bit close for a 7 iron. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

9 iron full speed

9 iron - 40-50% backswing and trying 40-50% downswing. 

9 iron FO full speed

9 iron FO slow

Driver - full speed

Driver at 25% backswing, and what ever I can take off on the downswing. If I try to 40-50% then everything stalls and I flip so much I almost top the ball. 

Iron Swing - The slow backswing produces my best backswing position.

9EA3E220-EB7B-47AF-AD51-43B40B74DE4E.png

The downswing feel is trying to get the chest facing the ball at impact more. Kinda a different take on a previous feel of the squish in my right hip going forward.

23B3B27F-08F8-497E-8FD5-4D8573FD32F9.png

The downswing right now feels the best when it’s 60% right palm down at the ball and 40% chest facing the target. 

Driver Swing - slow as F@&$ backswing! I need to continue to control the top of the backswing better. I think I’m loosing my wrist hinge at the top to feel a leverage. Stopping the swing at A3 always felt like a weak position that I could do nothing but swipe at the ball. I might try to flatten the swing slightly to gain the feel that my right hand is supporting the club more. I want to stop here!

993FE27D-5C21-4ACA-B4FF-8A7047043CCF.png

I need to work on staying in my axis tilt more. 658FF5FE-8A55-4A56-AF38-CADC12C776DB.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Backswing - slower and flatter feel at the top.

downswing - feel like chest/torso stays over the toes when turning. 

The swing from impact to finish felt way shorter and compact. The strikes were really solid. I felt less dippy at the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some pitching work

1. More fanning the club face open

2. More pivot while staying over the ball. Similar to my full swing feel. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The need for speed is not what I need 😉

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Tested the back out at the range today. Luckily things seem OK. It was hard to bend over on Wednesday and a bit spasm-y yesterday at work. I think my back issue is my hip flexors and tightness in middle to upper back that I had for most of the week. I had this spot in my middle back that was just spasming on and off from Sunday thru Wednesday. Then on Wednesday it decided to cause my lower back to tighten up at the range. Note to self, start working out more and stretching more. 

6 Iron -
Backswing Feel - Slower to control length... Could be slower still. 
Downswing - Start down with the hands, then turn over the ball (chest more over my feet)

6 Iron
Backswing feel - Same as above
Downswing feel - I was trying to feel a bit more left shoulder back and around the body. I was just seeing if this helped out. 

Overall, I think it's better. I need to keep the backswing shorter. I can feel when I swing too much. I actually feel a point were my body starts to fall towards the target a bit at A4. I think I over-turn my shoulders too much. The feeling is when I feel my upper body shift. It happens only when I let the club get close to parallel at A4. The image on the right is my shoulders at 90 degrees. The image on the left is my overturn. Still, the issue is that I feel like I have no leverage of the club when shortening my swing. From this shorten position I only feel like I will swipe at the ball. It's like the over-turn sets me up to feel like I can start my downswing turn. I know this is counter productive. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 5.44.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 5.44.23 PM.png

Driver
Backswing feel Same as above, slower. I could probably be way slower since I still struggle with overturning. 
Downswing feel - Same as above, more left shoulder back and around (flatter). I like the amount of turn I am able to get here. 

Driver - Backswing length work

Overall, again the feeling of the shorter swing feels very weak for me. I feel like I swipe at the ball. Maybe it's a timing issue I have to get use to. Still, I like this position at A4!!! 

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 5.54.12 PM.png

Going forward
1. Continue to work on shortening the backswing. 
2. Continue on getting less stuck on the downswing by working on my transition timing and my turn rates. I like the left side turning around me more. It's produce the best results yet. I do need to get the hands down sooner in transition. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Worked on some wedge game today. 

Full Swings 
Backswing - I focused on staying over the ball more and feeling the club a bit more flatter in the left wrist at A4

Downswing - The main feel I go with is staying over the ball more. The swing right now feels like A4-A5.5 is hands down the toe line. A5.5 thru impact is right side turning and left side going back behind me. 

Pitching
The primary feel is staying over the ball more through out the entire pitch. Specifically, the downswing pivot is staying over the ball more at the start of the downswing and then pivot towards target. I can also feel a bit more hit at the ball to clean up hitting the ball first. Contact is good. The ball is striking the center of the club face. Pretty happy with the progress. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 today. Just some notes on what worked. 

Set up- I got to stop setting up aiming 10-20 yards right of target

Backswing- Being more centered over the ball when turning, and feeling the club flat at A4. The feeling is the right forearm more upright and right hand facing the sky. 

Downswing- Just turn good, and be a tad hitting at the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Having a bit of trouble consistently hitting wedge shots. 

I’ll try to hit an 80 yard shot and all 5 of them will have different trajectories. Mostly it’s a struggle to control distance and height of the shot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range today to just work on hitting shapes and making good contact. 

Here is my swing thought(s)

Backswing - Keep right elbow closer and more in front of my body in the backswing in conjunction with making a good turn. When I do this the club naturally feels flatter. 

Downswing - Keep the shot shape in my head and make a good turn. 

When I did these two things I hit very solid accurate neutral flight shots. I can change my intent and hit cuts and draws. 

I've tried for the past 3 range sessions to get my trajectory down with my wedges. I can't. My 56 degree wedge is flying 15 yards shorter than it normally has been. I might be thinking of getting the shaft changed on it. It feels like when I struggled to hit good trajectory shots when I got fitted. I might need a bit less stout golf shaft in my wedges. I'm thinking I need to go back to the KBS golf shafts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Struggled off the tee with pull draws/hooks. I really didn’t have a normal approach shot all evening. Short game and putting were OK. 

My full swing thoughts were making body turn and keeping my right elbow in front of my chest more. I tried to not think about hand path or club head position much. 

2622441_Gk53HhiG.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I will note that my allergies were so bad yesterday. My head was in a fog/haze the entire round and everything just felt off. It felt like my balance was off a lot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag