IGNORED

Question for those of you with back problems...

Note: This thread is 4308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have found that if I take a couple of Excedrin before the round, spend about 15-20 minutes stretching out the back and hamstring muscles, I can play pretty pain free. Then, if necessary (about half the time) a couple Advil at the turn.

That and I walk. When I try riding, I end up crippled and suffering for days afterward.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great thread! Wish I would have seen it sooner. I too have had a back issue since 1998. I finally had surgery for it back in 2009 (discectomy). The single greatest choice I've made in years! I still have back pain and some discomfort, but nowhere near as bad as before. The one piece of advice I have found to give the best results is to stretch and keep on stretching throughout the round. Most days I look like Ichiro out there during my rounds...always stretching trying to keep the back, hamstrings and shoulders loose (two shoulder surgeries as well). This has helped, but in the end, I'm only getting older and these nagging aches and pains are probably gonna be with me till the end. :-)

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Back and hip pain now for a couple of years.  Done the PT thing, been to Ortho Doctors, had MRI, X-Rays, etc. etc.  My life got to the point where any physical activity felt like I was run over by a truck the next day.

Finally went to an Arthritis Doctor and he recommended a book to read:  "Heal Your Back" By David Borenstein.  While it did not cure my back, it gave me a wealth of information on WHY I was having back issues and how to combat it.   This book reaffirmed what my doctor was saying - osteoarthritis and wear and tear.  Pain Drugs (I take Celebrex and 24 hr Muscle Relaxers - 24 hour version does not make me sleepy) along with DAILY exercises - stretching, riding stationary bike, and work with stretchy bands.  You have to start VERY LIGHT and do that for a few weeks, then move up slightly.

Another thing which helped confirm this program is something I saw on the Pain Channel (internet site - painchannel.tv ).  They were covering someone with Fibromyalgia and the best thing they did was starting an exercising routine.  First week(s) just walking to the end of their driveway and back was a chore and very painful, but over time they were able to walk GREAT distances.  Took many months, almost a year if I remember right, but the constant exercises was the key.

So like someone else mentioned in this thread - KEEP MOVING to KEEP MOVING.  Exercises and stretching is one of the best ways to combat back issues.  And if you need drugs for awhile to get by the pain in order to work out, so be it.  Over time (months, sometimes years) people have found a new life for themselves and not having your back dictate it.

• 10 months later...

I hope this thread gets [re]read.  My options were to start a new thread, or add to this one:

Real quick, my history:

I used to be an avid player.  Since I was about 9 yrs. old I've played golf, and then I started having major back problems.  I will fast forward through nearly all of the details, but will say that I've had just about everything the Dr's can throw at me.  ALL of the diagnostic work and PT, which eventually led-up to 3 surgeries….the last surgery, in '08, was the most major, being a laminectomy & fusion at L5-S1.  Since then, I've been faithful with all the PT, stretching, and conditioning.  I purchased a BowFlex Revolution, and concentrate on stretching & core exercises.  I watch what I eat, but I still have a lot of pain. (I have several other levels (of my back) that are not in good shape (ie: herniated)).  I feel that I 'hold up my end of the deal', when it comes to diet & exercise/stretching.   Even so, there is very much a limit as to what I can do…..and it so happens that golf seems to push that limit….

Following my 'big' surgery, in 2008, my golfing was nonexistent.  I hadn't even considered golf again, until just recently.  Not long ago, the golf bug bit me (again) big time, and I purchased some Razr x HL's.

(I'll cut to the chase):

I realize that my swing will not be completely what it was for me, pre-op.  The hardware in my back physically will not allow it.

I am struggling with my swing, due to range of motion in the shoulders/back/hips.  Of course, I only play because I love to golf.

To anyone that is familiar with my situation:  please suggest a swing (style), or suggest reading/viewing material that I can learn from.  I believe I am going to have to use more wrist action to try and 'compensate' for what's lost in my back immobility; but I'd rather learn this definitively from someone that knows, rather than start experimenting on my own.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chiropractor regularly. Arching my back. Like doing a push up but keeping your hips on the ground. Hopefully your using a bag cart and not carrying. Did I mention chiropractor. Strengthening your core back muscles will help a ton. I wound up giving in and having a microdiscectomy. Best thing I ever did. Felt better the minute I opened my eyes.

Originally Posted by Texas Tee

I hope this thread gets [re]read.  My options were to start a new thread, or add to this one:

... Following my 'big' surgery, in 2008, my golfing was nonexistent.  I hadn't even considered golf again, until just recently.  Not long ago, the golf bug bit me (again) big time, and I purchased some  Razr x HL's.

(I'll cut to the chase):

I realize that my swing will not be completely what it was for me, pre-op.  The hardware in my back physically will not allow it.

I am struggling with my swing, due to range of motion in the shoulders/back/hips.  Of course, I only play because I love to golf. ...

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

The U.S. military and U.S. golf community participate in the Wounded Warrior project. Many people who were badly wounded during the war are being taught how to play golf - even those with missing limbs.

So, there are teams of therapists and golf pros who work with golfers who have physical limitations. Wish I could give you more specifics. But, there's people out there who can develop a golf swing for what you can do. For starters, you should look into a Titleist Performance Institute swing analysis. TPI teams include a chiropractor or physical therapist and a PGA pro.

I'm lucky... An arthritic hip that is stabilizing with vitamins and a TPI workout plan. Hang tough, and keep us posted on what develops!

And the RazrX HL's are already a step in the right direction.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!