IGNORED

Is reshafting your driver a wise idea?

Note: This thread is 5086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

I took a lesson last Wednesday, and had my pro watch me hit some drives. They were straight at target with a little fade in the end. He put shafts on some driver heads and had me try out some other shafts. With one of those shafts my drives where all cannons and straight as a bullet.

My current shaft is the Aldila Proto VS 65 stiff, but the shaft I "fell in love with" was Proforce 66g regular. My irons are stiff, and my 3 wood, no problems there.

I have booked a time for a launch monitor session, I just wanted to ask if it is normal to have your driver shafted with a Reg shaft when everything else is stiff, and is it maybe more wise to just get a driver with the shaft you need instead of reshafting? Thanks in advance.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

I would say to try a bunch back to back and compare on the launch monitor. I went to the shop that had a Cleveland fitter there for free a couple nights ago and tried a few clubs and shafts. When I was hitting stiff shafts the ball flight was a little inconsistent. As soon as I switched to X flex, it was much better. My buddy, whose swing speed was a mile an hour or two faster than mine, was just the opposite. The stiff flex shafts were all that were working for him. Different swings, tempo, loading of the shaft, release, etc. all add different elements to how the shaft works. I think it all ends up being a bit of trial and error.

Shafts make a huge difference. I look at it like this: In a car you have the actual car (which you could say is the head of the driver) and you have the steering wheel which drives the car (aka the shaft). You need something that fits your game. Like klebs01 said go test on a launch monitor. I can tell you first hand though it does make a difference.

You might find that analogy a little weak but that's how I look at it. I swapped my driver with a Diamana Blue Board and never looked back!
Currently in my titleist.gif X86 stand bag:

taylormade.gif R7 Superquad 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board); taylormade.gif R7 15*; titleist.gif 585H 21*, adams.gif ---*; --- 4-9 (KBS); vokey.gif [48*], 56*, 60* (SM); cameron.gifStudio Select Newport 2 Midslant 34"

Ball - titleist.gif Pro V1X

Thanks guys, will take that Launch monitor appointment and try out some shafts. I am looking for more control with my driver like I get from my irons so I'll probably will try out a bunch. Will post results next week.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

If you do switch down to a regular shaft and if you have alot of club head speed make sure you pick a shaft with a low torque or you might have problems (but I am sure your fitter will figure that our).
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

If you're worried about it, consider finding a used version of your driver (loft must match; shaft unimportant for this) and swap out the shaft on that . It'll cost you a bit more, but you can revert if necessary.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just go my Launch Monitor results after an hours session. Tried out with my current shaft, as well as some regulars and some stiffer shafts. Results were very similar and the decision was that I keep my current shaft. Guess the warmer weather we are having now enabled me to swing more freely and therefore getting the most out of the shaft.

Got myself some nice statistics tough.

What were your spin numbers like? Is your current set up optimized? Whats your swing speed? You should definitely get your driver set up how you like, not just the draw-fade aspect, the launch(high) and spin(low).

Spin numbers were fine according to the specalist doing the analysis. My swing speed was 99-104, the only thing that was iffy in this session was my driver head, which is 9,5 degrees and at times I would not get the desired angle.

This was my first time with so much information on my swing, had a good day though made it even more rewarding.

Will take a look at different setups, try maybe a different head with more launch.

Note: This thread is 5086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!