IGNORED

Walking For Exercise

ks8829
Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Brad_MB

Just to kinda give everyone a basic idea, running is a aerobic exercise, and walking is more along the lines of strength training.

In one hour:

You'll burn more calories running, but the calories being burned would be derived from sugars and carbohydrates.

You'll burn more fat walking because your body doesn't use as many carbohydrates for fuel, it has enough time to metabolize fat.

Walking and running are two different forms of exercise, which is something that is confused a lot. They both have their benefits. The biggest thing with walking is form. Form will dictate how efficiently calories are burned.

A person's weight also comes into play. A heavier individual will burn more calories walking than a lighter individual because he/she has more weight to carry around. I would recommend a heavier individual to walk rather than run for countless health related issues and risks.

Depends on the exercise you do, theres different theories on this. I remember reading its based on % VO2, or the amount of Oxygen you are taking in I believe the ideal is about 70% VO2, or might be pulse rate, cant remember. But from what i read is that there is a range were your burning both because both reactions happen. The key is that you get that 1.4 ratio on running to walking, so basically you are overtaking any short comings in burning sugars and carbs by increasing the calorie deficit. Its all complicated and hard to understand, to many diverging opinions on this subject. I forgot the key basis behind all this.

Then best thing i can say, just move, thats it. Eat healthy and get moving.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I commuted on foot when I was working, walking 2-1/4 miles each way. I always used stairs instead of the elevator at the office building. I found that as I got into my 50s, that wasn't enough exercise. I lost leg strength in spite of all this.

Now I do stadium stairs twice a week carrying 35 lbs. extra, and walk a 6-mile course once a week that has a 1,000' elevation gain, carrying 30 lbs.

Believe me, on the 18th hole, my legs are close to being as fresh as on the 1st.

• 6 months later...

I have been walking for about an hour daily. Today, Tuesday, 7/19/11 at 7:30 AM I walked the following:

1 hour and 2 seconds

3.45 miles

3.3 miles per hour

341 calories burned

I have been walking for the last three weeks and notice the benefit in my golf game in the last three holes, I use to get very tired and now after walking no longer feel tired.  I am also carrying 14 clubs vs 13 clubs so I am able to carry more weight because I feel stronger.  I did shot even par on Saturday but shot 12 over the next day.

I feel marvelous!  I track this on my Galaxy S with the "CardioTrainer" app, a free downloan with Android.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!