IGNORED

Walking For Exercise

ks8829
Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many walk as a form of exercise? not just on the golf course but also after dinner and in the morning as a form of exercise.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Everybody over 40 that is thin, I ask how they stay in shape and the majority say that they walk at least 30 minutes a day. The last one I asked walked for an hour after dinner at least 3-5 times a week.

An associate who sits near me at work, ran for over 20 years but since his knees and back starting hurting him began only walking everyday for at least 30 minutes. its low impact and you can walk anytime if you are early for an appointment.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

I started doing this last month.

I still eat what I want (in general but try to make good decisions) just eat it in smaller portions, and walk at night and wak the course as my main excercise. Walking a full course can burn almost 1200 calories. I've lost six pounds in April so far, getting me back under 200

I walk pretty much everytime i play at my club, which is usually 36 holes per week. I figure why not get some cardio activity in while playing golf. My home course is somewhat hilly, so walking can be great exercise. Also my wife just had our first child a few weeks ago, so walking is a great way for her to start getting back into shape without too much vigorous activity. We usually walk at night 3-4 times a week with the baby and dog around our neighborhood. Once she fully recovers and gets the ok from her doc, we will resume hiking which is a form of walking and great exercise with perfect scenery.

4 steps to look younger

1) do not smoke
2) do not drink more than 2 drinks a day
3) eat fresh fruits and vegetables each day
4) exercise at least 2 hours a week

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

4 steps to look younger

1 out of 4 ain't bad. When you look 60 at 32, isn't that just a distinguished look?

This is actually the motivation I need to get back on the treadmill. With an extra piece of fruit and some walking I could be 4 for 4 and looking 45 in no time.
What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

I'm 43 and probably what your would call skinny (6' ~165lbs). I always walk when I play (usually twice a week), but that's all the walking I actively do. I weight train twice a week. Weight training is just as important as cardio, especially as you age. Running is great exercise, but it can be hard on your body, especially as you run long distances regularly. The good thing about walking is that you burn the same number of calories as you do running the same distance. The only difference is that when you run you finish sooner (5 miles running versus 5 miles walking), but the low impact aspect of walking goes a long way in justifing the additional time.

Just as important as being active though is making sure your diet is in line. I exercise so that I can be freer about what I eat, but even with that you have to be careful otherwise you'll undermine all the hard work spent being active. Put the two together, an active lifestyle and a sensible diet, and you'll go a long way in ensuring you maximize your quality of life at every age.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I don't walk for excercise anymore. I used to on a tread mill with heavy incline. I have been really consistant the last 5 months in exercise and here is what I do:

spinning 2-4 times a week
eat very healthy. Lots of protein shakes, lean meat, fruit, whole grain stuff, just good things in general.
Lift 3-4 days a week, heavy wieght lots of sets, low reps. I really focus on one excercise and do 3 warm up sets and 5-7 workout sets. I do (hamstrings) deadlifts and (quads) squats on different days. I also do my back, chest, and shoulders. I have found that instead of doing 7 or 8 chest excercises you can do just 3 really well and get a better workout.
I also do elipitical and run on non-spinning days if I am at the gym. I almost always do both if I am at the gym.
Getting a road bike in about a week so I might focus on that for the summer and not lift so much and heavy.

Golf is hard with really sore legs. It just doesn't help with tempo. I am trying to find the right times in the week to do my quad/calf and hamstring/back days so I'm not sore when I play. It is hard since I'm sore for probably 3-4 days and have to seperate the two by at least a day.

Couldn't be much happier with the results. Lost 60 pounds, feel really good, hit the ball at least 20 to 30 yards farther. Not sure if that is from better technique or strength, but definitely a reality.

Brian

I walk because I enjoy walking. I run and lift weights for exercise, but the additional calorie burn from walking is a definite plus. Staying in motion between shots seems to help keep the muscles loose too.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I walk every week day at work (on breaks) for 2 miles. I use dumbbells on M W F while walking, to add to the calorie burning process and to keep from getting too flabby in my old age.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Honestly, walking really isn't going to do much for you, even at a brisk pace. Jogging at a 10 min per mile pace burns about 100 calories per mile, walking probably burns about 40% of that, or only 40 calories per mile. So, if your average walk is say, 4 miles you're burning approx 160 calories, maybe 200 calories at best. That is very minimal. So, jogging at your slowest pace is much better than walking at your fastest pace.

Plus, walking really doesn't do anything for your cardiovascular system. The only way to improve that is to elevate your respiration and heartrate for extended periods of time. Again, a slow jogging pace is going to do much more for you in that dept. whereas walking only elevates your heartrate and respiration minimally.

Walk if you like it, and obviously, it's better for your health than sitting on your couch. But if your main concern is improving your overall physical condition I'd strongly recommend jogging, even at a slow pace. Even if you walk a 1/4 mile, run a 1/4 mile and so on, it's going to be a lot more for you. You can slowly build up and walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk another 1/4 run another 1/2... if you're hoping to use walking as a means to improve your health, the sad reality is that you'll be disappointed.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

Honestly, walking really isn't going to do much for you, even at a brisk pace. Jogging at a 10 min per mile pace burns about 100 calories per mile, walking probably burns about 40% of that, or only 40 calories per mile. So, if your average walk is say, 4 miles you're burning approx 160 calories, maybe 200 calories at best. That is very minimal. So, jogging at your slowest pace is much better than walking at your fastest pace.

I don't think this is accurate. You burn the same calories in a mile regardless if you walk or run it just takes less time to run a mile as opposed to walk.

Brian

I don't think this is accurate. You burn the same calories in a mile regardless if you walk or run it just takes less time to run a mile as opposed to walk.

Hahaha, are you being serious?

• Administrator
Hahaha, are you being serious?

He is.

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1...ieswalkrun.htm http://walking.about.com/od/beginner...lkingmyths.htm http://ask.yahoo.com/20050906.html Walking (particularly at a decent pace) burns the same number of calories as running.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was wrong. Here is a link. To say it is a "useless" form of excerise is a retard point of view. If you put a tread mill at top incline at 4.5 minutes per hour. I can get and sustain the appropriate fat burning heart rate.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...s-than-walking

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1...ieswalkrun.htm

Brian

I know an 80 yr old that walks 9 holes four or 5 times a week for this reason. He still plays pretty well too. Shoots in the mid 40's.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Who are you? Are you an expert? Please link something to prove me wrong.

I'm no expert, but I will by running my 6th marathon on Sunday. Obviously, just like with anything, there's various theories etc... I didn't want to get too technical, but here goes:

The arguement that walking at the same speed as opposed to running at the same speed burning the same calories is based on METS "metabolic equivalents" some made up unit of measurement that was developed recently. In my first post, I said running at your slowest pace burn more calories than walking at your fastest pace...assuming your running pace would be faster. I should clarify that because it's confusing...again, trying to keep in simple. A runner and a fast walker, both at a speed of 12 minutes per mile or 5 miles per hour, achieve the exact same 8 MET. Their calories per mile and calories per hour are identical. The difference is in how the energy is used. METs don't take that into consideratino. Running is more strenous an activity, so you body responds by converting the most easily converted energy source, which is glucose stores found in muscle tissue (sugars converted from consumed carbohydrates), once glucose stores are depleted, the body than turns to burning off lipids (fat stores) for energy. So, when running you'll use the glucose quickier, allowing you to begin to burn lipids more quickly. So, undoubtedly running 4 miles is a better physical exercise than walking. I pulled this from runningplanet, quoting a study done at Syracuse University: Researchers at Syracuse University conducted a study in December of 2004 for the purpose of comparing the energy expenditure of walking and running with equations that predict energy expenditure. As a part of that study the researchers needed to determine whether differences exist in energy expenditure of walking versus running. The researchers measured the calorie burn of 12 male and 12 female subjects as they both ran and walked for 1600 meters on a track and a treadmill. Each subject ran at one specific pace and walked at one specific pace. The scientists, headed by Jill A. Kanaley, PhD in the Department of Exercise Science, found that the women expended about 105 calories while running versus only 74 when walking. The men had similar results of 124 calories when running compared with just 88 calories burned while walking. (Med Sci Sports Exerc.2004 Dec;36(12):2128-34). That seems like a big difference, but it is actually even larger. To get the true number of calories burned from exercise, you must subtract the calories you would have consumed at rest. After taking away those “resting” calories, the net calorie burn for the women was 91 running versus 43 walking. For the men the net calories burned was 105 running versus 52 walking. So, in reality, the subjects were burning more than twice the calories when running versus walking. Again, this all doesn't even mention the cardiovascular benefits running has over walking. Again, walking is better for you than sitting on your couch, and can be enjoyable...so by all means, walk to your hearts content, but if you're thinking walking is going to make you fit, you'll be disappointed. It's physics really...energy expenditure is greater when physical activity is greater. Bottomline.

Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!