IGNORED

overpowering the course not the best way to go?

Note: This thread is 5108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My best scores have been posted when I pull a 3wd more often. Even though I do like to be close to the green, I'm erratic with the driver, so net result is usually lower going 3wd/7i versus driver/PW.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Naturally, i three-putted, but that's a different story...

I hear you - this year the focus is making more birdie (or eagle!) putts!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My best scores have been posted when I pull a 3wd more often. Even though I do like to be close to the green, I'm erratic with the driver, so net result is usually lower going 3wd/7i versus driver/PW.

It's not a bad way to play. I'll take a short iron on the short stuff than a wedge from the rough any day.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

KegObrew made a relevant post here. My personal view is that you should hit it as far as you can off the tee on short courses so long as your margin of error keeps you out of trouble. I don't agree with the cliche that yardages under 100 yards are harder shots. Being between clubs on a full swing is completely different from being 75 yards out vs. 60 yards out. Even there, the stats show that the dispersion is smaller than if you made your "dialed-in" full swing from 150 yards out. Plus, really good players have mapped out yardages for mini-swings with their wedges, which makes the point moot. Beyond that, golf is a lot more fun if you have some risk involved. And it's REALLY fun when you eagle a par-4 or thread a drive to a tucked pin from 270 yards.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I do try and play a hole be it a par 4 or 5 to allow me at least a full 58 wedge into the green. That way I avoid hitting half shots into greens and also when you play a long iron/hybrid/ fairway wood off the tee you maximise your chance of hitting fairways. 2 birds 1 stone.

Driver - Callaway FTI
3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha
Irons - Mizuno MX100
Putter - TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider
Ball - White round ones

i know standard length for a 3-wood is less than a driver, probably an inch less. I was wondering anyone who doesn't use there 3wood much off the deck, have you tried putting a driver length shaft in it just as a driving 3-wood, would that 1 inch make much of a difference, i know that there has been discrempencies if longer shafts truely help the average golf player get more distance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i know standard length for a 3-wood is less than a driver, probably an inch less. I was wondering anyone who doesn't use there 3wood much off the deck, have you tried putting a driver length shaft in it just as a driving 3-wood, would that 1 inch make much of a difference, i know that there has been discrempencies if longer shafts truely help the average golf player get more distance.

If you mean off the fairway, my 3-wood is fine. It's okay off the tee as well.

I choke down on all my woods - and over I'm > 6' 1" too, so I'm not sure how somebody < 5' 9" would use these stock clubs.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think you should play the hole backwards to hit your money shot into the green. If that's an 8-iron, then hit your tee shot to that distance. If it's a 75-yard pitch, and you can get it there off the tee, go ahead. I'm a big believer in planning your way around the course so you can hit the shots you're good at as often as possible.

Where i play the rough is hardly rough in most places (sometimes you can get better lies than in the fairway) which is why i always play driver off the tee (im pretty straight with the driver anyway) and pitch onto the short par-4's and have short irons/wedges into the longer ones, granted it doesnt always work out great but more times than not it is better for me to do it this way

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Note: This thread is 5108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!