IGNORED

Practice Round Rules

dgny06
Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When tour players play their practice rounds a few days prior to an event, do they follow the normal rules of golf? For example, will a player hit a driver twice off a tee with two different shot shapes to see how it will play in competition? Will they hit an iron twice from the same spot to judge the distance?

----------------- IN MY BAG -----------------

Irons: Diable Edge
Gap Wedge: Jaws 52 Degree
Hybrids: 3 & 4 HybridDriver: Diable Edge 9 DegreePutter: White Hot #9 PutterBall: Big Bertha Diablo GPS: uPro

No they don't play normal rules.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

nope... they will also hit lots of puts on each green to see how it breaks to where they think or know the various pins will be,

hit different pitch shots to the green to get a feel for it... that kind of thing

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Other than some pace of play issues - I don't think they can occupy a hole for an hour on their own - they don't have any set rules. Some play practice rounds against other players, and use that to practice. Others play the hole once, then putt to where they expect the holes to be. Many play with more than 14 clubs, trying to figure out which one(s) they'll need for the tournament itself.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm more curious how they incorporate (or not incorporate) the rules when they gamble...I assume they have to play it straight if they are gambling (i.e., no second shots for practice)....I could be wrong.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

No rules at all. They just do what they want.

I remember back (not sure of the year, probably 10+ years ago), ABC did a behind-the-scenes thing with Jesper Parnevik at the British Open. He mentioned that for one of the practice rounds he crawled out of bed late, ran to the first tee to make his time and had no warm up. He teed up a ball and hooked it into the tall grass. In his words, we just went to the spot where we would like to play from and played from there.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I'm more curious how they incorporate (or not incorporate) the rules when they gamble...I assume they have to play it straight if they are gambling (i.e., no second shots for practice)....I could be wrong.

The gambling part is probably all over the place. As mentioned above some might prepare with an official type round. Then there is the Pro Am. Also there are lots of ways to gamble in golf. Drop 2 balls 200 yards out for closest to the pin, out of a bunker, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc..........

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!