IGNORED

what do you chip with from 10-20 yards out?

Note: This thread is 5126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use my 54* and 58* depending upon the shot. Most chips are a shot where I want to let it roll out a little and for that the 54* works best for me. I often get too much spin on the 58* and end up leaving it short. The 58* is used when I need to get it up and then stop it quick. I use it more for short pitches and to get out of the sand though, and probably use the 54* for about 80% of my chipping duty.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

it's because people boast about how far they hit their 7i.

Though thanks to technology, people can probably control that shot more like the old 7I than the old 5I. Technology has increased the distances available, but you've still got to be able to cover all the short distances, so I don't think it's so much of a conspiracy.

Really the silly thing is that we only identify the wedges by their lofts. Woods and hybrids are starting to work that way, but why are irons still numbered? Wouldn't we all feel better if we just called 'em by the lofts? To make this on topic, I took my recently acquired 52° and 60° wedges out for the second practice session today. On Friday had them regripped to match the rest of my set. Had sort of a mediocre day, but I think I'll probably be moving from my old 56° to my new 52° for standard wedge duty. It was just as good for short (10 yards and less) chips, but could more easily be extended out past 20 yards without feeling like I really had to whack it hard.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I will use any of my three wedges, depending on what the situation is calling for. If I am short sided, will use my 60 if I have some room to run it out I will use either my 56 or 52. Its obviously important to be able to play a number of different shots especially from those types of yardages. There are a number of hazards and things that you may have to go over, under or around.

I absolutely agree with this comment and would add a bit more. Sometimes I use a chipping swing, sometimes a pitching swing. And sometimes I do either with the club face open. The more options you have. the more conditions you can deal with optimally. Of course, it also means practicing more. The one club for everything approach just doesn't cut it at the higher levels of play.

On a tight lie, I like to nip a 52 degree, but we don't always have perfect lies do we lol. I don't use my 60 much outside of a bunker, but If the shot requires any type of miracle, I'll pull it out. I have completely fallen in love with my 52 though, I use it everywhere.

Diablo. 10 degree, neutral. (R-Flex)
F-Speed 15.5 degree 3 Wood (R)
A70s 19 degree hybrid (R)
2009 CG-7 Tour Irons (3-PW) (R)
CG-14 52, 56, 60 degree wedges. (R)SeeMore FGP Putter (The charm of my bag) Gamer V2

Note: This thread is 5126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!