IGNORED

Driver vs 3-Wood

Ken1222
Note: This thread is 6427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 51.5 years old, 6'4" 215 lbs, in decent shape and a consistent 26handicapper, who hits drives about 250-260 yards (total carry) with 95 mph swing speed / 7 iron about 140 yards with 65-75 mph swing.

With my driver (Ping G5, R flex, Aldila NV shaft), 75% of the time I have the dreaded slice. With my 3-wood (Ping G5, R flex, 15 degrees, stock ping shaft) I hit straight down the middle, almost all the time, tho not as far.

Is the extra loft what makes the 3-wood go so straight? Does this indicate that I could benefit from a 12 degree driver loft? I demoed a 12 degree loft and seemed to be hitting the drives way too high.

Thanks

from what i know the 3-wood is more forgiving because of the loft. At least thats what people have told me.

Probably you'd benefit from lessons from a pro, seeing what is making your driver slice and not the 3-wood, more than buying a 12degree driver.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

with 95 mph swing speed with my driver (Ping G5, R flex, Aldila NV shaft), 75% of the time I have the dreaded slice. With my 3-wood (Ping G5, R flex, 15 degrees, stock ping shaft) I hit straight down the middle, almost all the time Thanks

Ken, just a couple thoughts here. 3 Woods are considered straighter because the increased loft adds backspin that mitigates the effect of unwanted side spin.

This is not a benefit found with lower lofted Drivers. BUT, if you truly swing at 95, and if your path is correct, (in to out, not out to in) it could be that the shaft flex "Regular" is not for you. You may have a better result with the NV Stiff flex. Head could be lagging behind depending on how you load the shaft. Go to a golf shop & get on a launch monitor to pinpoint the Driver problem. Is it out to in path? Is it open face at impact? Is it hitting off the heel? Once you know the real problem, you'll be better able to correct it!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I have the same problem!! I hit my 3 wood a mile... and my ping g5 driver keep slicing...

Maybe it is the ball position. Because your driver is longer and bigger, you have to really put the ball exactly in the middle of your left foot. I have a tendency to put the ball just beside my left toe. Also when on the tee box, I don't have a point to get my ball position aligned.
I am 51.5 years old, 6'4" 215 lbs, in decent shape and a consistent 26handicapper, who hits drives about 250-260 yards (total carry) with 95 mph swing speed / 7 iron about 140 yards with 65-75 mph swing.

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

I had the same problem until my playing partner pointed out the same thing you mentioned. I went from "power-fading" to hitting rockets dead center.

Sometimes it is really that simple.
I have the same problem!! I hit my 3 wood a mile... and my ping g5 driver keep slicing...

In my bag:

TaylorMade R7 Superquad - 11.5 deg - Diamana Whiteboard 63-S
Tour Edge Exotics - CB2 16 deg - Diamana Redboard 73-S
Taylormade V-Steel 24 deg - Diamana Redboard 83-STaylorMade R7 XD - 5i-AW Project X 6.552 deg Miura Forged Raw56 deg Fourteen MT-28/56V3 60 deg - Fourteen MT-28/60V2 P...

The extra 1 1/2 inches of shaft length can make a big differnce also. Sometimes just taking 1/2 inch off the driver shaft length can help your timing and not cost any distance.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 6427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!