IGNORED

My Swing (Jtjohns)

Jtjohns
Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ever throw a frisbee underhand (where instead of your thumb being on top of the frisbee, it underneath the lip)? You want that feeling on your downswing (at least thats what works for me). It gets me on plane with an in-to-out swing. When I catch myself coming over the top (like you are) this helps me right away. And Shanks is right, your hands go way to vertical. You want to think of swinging around your body, with your hands moving back, up and IN on the backswing.

Thanks for all the help!! I'm working hard on it. I spent 3 hours just practicing today. I recorded some of my attempts at trying to hit the ball 50yds right of my aim point, as Shanks suggested. I thought I was keeping my hands lower as well, but after watching the video, that was a failed attempt.

LIVING A DREAM
BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY #56

Thanks for all the help!! I'm working hard on it. I spent 3 hours just practicing today. I recorded some of my attempts at trying to hit the ball 50yds right of my aim point, as Shanks suggested. I thought I was keeping my hands lower as well, but after watching the video, that was a failed attempt.

Dude, you're a pretty big boy!! With you're strength you'll be just murdering the ball in no time!!

I'm a rookie too, but have managed to break several milestones in a few months that I thought would take a year. It amazed me how I struggled for several weeks and then suddenly almost overnight things started to click. Like anything, just practice practice practice!!

No, that was

perfect . Keep doing it. Your body needs time to adjust. It will take a a few sessions to get used to it. You can't hit the ball 50 yards right, obviously, but if you look, several of your shots started right on line, or even right. You're already coming down right, your club shaft is actually below plane, where it was well above. All you're doing is flipping the club, which is why you may have trouble catching it, but you can get rid of that next. What's important, is your downswing plane: Before - WAY too steep: After - Almost flat: You've effectively given yourself an extra 10" to hit the ball along the ground. Under pressure, when you need it, you're going to be able to hit it much better. Keep working on it until it sinks in, then you can worry about flipping.

Geeze you're jacked
Getitng there
what's next shanks? 7 iron punch shots?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I think you need a week or two to let the muscles get grooved in
Progressing too fast will be counter productive

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I think you need a week or two to let the muscles get grooved in

Yes, he needs to spend a few weeks letting his muscles get used to the new plane before he even considers making a change. I've made that mistake more than once.

Maybe? This would be a drill to work on next:

What's the idea behind this drill? What's it trying to accomplish?

The ball flight during my practice session yesterday was much different than I'm acustom to. I even mangaged to hit a few draws.

LIVING A DREAM

What's the idea behind this drill? What's it trying to accomplish?

I know, it looked great, actually more improvement than I expected. You probably felt as if the ball took off way out to the right of where you were aiming. That's normal, because you're used to it starting left. Just keep at that trying to push the ball 50 yards right, keep at it until it feels natural.

The next drill to work on is just an anti-flip/forward press drill, which will help lengthen the hitting area more, and get some more power.

I know, it looked great, actually more improvement than I expected. You probably felt as if the ball took off way out to the right of where you were aiming. That's normal, because you're used to it starting left. Just keep at that trying to push the ball 50 yards right, keep at it until it feels natural.

Will do!!

LIVING A DREAM

Alright!!! Here was what I think to be a productive practice session. I feel like I've made a lot of progress in a short time. The swing is starting to feel comfortable and a little effortless. I'm still focusing on trying to hit the ball 50yds right of my target. Several times the ball started right and stayed right, but after looking at the video, I think I wasn't finishing the swing/ completing a full follow through. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks.

LIVING A DREAM

Also, anybody know any pros that I can model my swing after? I'm looking for someone with a similar build so I dont have to do a complete overhaul.

LIVING A DREAM

Any comments? Is the jerk right at contact a sign of me flipping?

LIVING A DREAM

Looks like yuo're breaking your wrists and coming in flat
When you hinge your wrist its not a dramatic thing at all, and when you hinge its mainly your left hand that does it, you're doing it with your right hand and its flaring open your wrists

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Looks like yuo're breaking your wrists and coming in flat

I've been working on trying to take a flatter swing plane. I think I'm kind of lost when it comes to the role my wrists should play.

LIVING A DREAM

I've been working on trying to take a flatter swing plane. I think I'm kind of lost when it comes to the role my wrists should play.

watch this.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Make sure you're swinging on the flatter plane automatically before you start another drill like the anti flip drill. Trying to fix too much too fast is a surefire way to screw a whole lot of things up.

Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!