IGNORED

Distance Control

Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know your swing is the primary controller, but how much do your irons affect shots that are slightly higher and lower in trajectory...resulting in shots that can be 10 yards apart?

Basically I am wondering if a more forgiving iron (say slingshots vs my pro combos) will help to promote a more consistent ball flight in terms of trajectory?

I am starting to think I may benefit from something slightly more forgiving in terms of hitting that consistent yardage. 20+ foot birdie putts are much harder than 5 footers haha.

Slingshots will help with distance control on your mishits. Meaning that your mishits will be closer to your target than your mishits with the pro combos.

Slingshots will help with distance control on your mishits. Meaning that your mishits will be closer to your target than your mishits with the pro combos.

So it should help maintain the trajectory as well?

Yes but it would probably be a higher trajectory than your pro combos
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Yes but it would probably be a higher trajectory than your pro combos

Due to the additional sole weighting I would assume?

Due to the additional sole weighting I would assume?

Slingshots are designed to hit the ball up in the air due to the perimeter weighting which also increases forgiveness. Your shots, in particular your mishits, will be more consistent than with the Pro Combos.

Slingshots are designed to hit the ball up in the air due to the perimeter weighting which also increases forgiveness. Your shots, in particular your mishits, will be more consistent than with the Pro Combos.

Do you, or anyone else, think this would be a significant difference? I hit these well, and love the look of them, but hate to be hurting my game considerably by not looking into something more game improvement like the slingshots.

As people have said, on your miss hits slingshots will be much more forgiving.

But if your trying to hit a nice little bullet shot, It will be much much harder to to get the really flat flight. These irons really good fly high.

If you want, I can try my mates slingshots and get back to you about how hard they actully are to keep down. I do rember last time when I tried them though, the ball flight was sooooooo high!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Personally, the sling shots did not impress me at all. If you want new irons consider others too.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

My Slingshots do go higher than most sets, but not a lot.

My distances are average to long

8i - 160-165
9i 150-155

etc etc

They are forgiving as hell, but you can not work the ball as much as others.

I was playing around a 15 handicap in April, and these clubs really have helped me get it down to single digits.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I was merely using slingshots as a point of comparison but i appreciate all the thoughts on them. I have heard good things about them, but would certainly be considering others if I got something new.

I guess while we have wandered this direction...would any of the following would help me achieve that extra consistency while allowing me to play them for several years? (these are clubs I have demoed and liked)
-09 Burners
-Slingshots
-CCIs
-MP52s
-AP1 and AP2

AP2 and MP52s I doubt will give you much more "consistency" at all. If you want consistency across the clubface, I'd go with the Burners or Slingshots. TM advertises that there inverted cone thingy helps increase ball speed across the face. The higher trajectory of the Slingers will help hold the ball straighter but not too sure about yardage gaps.

This is a very interesting video i found when i was doing some research for new clubs

So it looks like the big oversized GI clubs with hot faces may hit the ball further (higher ball speed) but they are not very consistent distance wise... and if you want to knock it close to the pin thats pretty important. I actually lost a little distance changing to the MP 57 but the distance control far outweighs that...

This is a very interesting video i found when i was doing some research for new clubs

Interesting video. The more I am thinking about it though, I will likely just work with my local pro and see what he thinks. Funny how we always like to ask everyone on here though, thanks for the information everyone.

Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!