IGNORED

My Swing (bplewis24)

bplewis24
Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bunkerputt, since you are my main adviser, let me know what you think about this.

Today was a better day at the range.  I planned on doing a lot of impact position stuff, but instead I just did some half swings and slo-mo full swings until I warmed into the shot.  Anyway, specifically it appears that I have to focus on keeping my right arm bent and relaxed in order to get the ideal swing.  At least on the downswing, if I don't focus on keeping my right arm bent, I tend to hit it fat or flip at the ball.  Is that right?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Right elbow bent at impact is preferred.  Since the shoulders will be slightly open at impact, having the right elbow bent and in front of the right hip at impact keeps the path inside and the face slightly open.  Hogan had a bent right elbow, Trevino had a bent right elbow.

A more technical way to think about it is like this.  Our hands are connected in the golf swing.  Since they are connected, what is required for the right arm to straighten?  The arms have to be brought back in front of the torso.  Keep your hands connected, get into the top of your backswing position, and try to straighten your right arm without moving the club to prove it to yourself.  If you can do this, film it and put it on youtube because you will soon be the next internet meme.  An active straigtening of the right arm at the top of the backswing will move the arms in front of the torso and cause an immediate release of the club.  This is because the arms are extended away from the body, and any angular velocity they acquired from the body is immediately decreased, just as if you had been spinning in a chair like a figure skater and then stuck your arms out.  You would slow down.  Because this energy has to go somewhere, it goes to the easiest and lightest thing to move in the whole body/club system:  the club.  So the club immediately gains velocity and outraces the hands and arms.  The problem is, now the club is not only moving to quickly too early in the swing, it's moving over the line and approaching the ball from the outside.  A big ol' flip slice is going to be the result...assuming contact can actually be made.

I think if you work on getting a good turn to the top and then focus on getting your hips moving in the right way, you'll find that you can't help but keep the right elbow bent until well after impact.

• Upvote 1

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

*Just wanted to clarify something in case someone reads an error into the above post.  The energy isn't "lost" when you extend your arms, the body just slows down.  You still have the same net angular momentum, it's just that now you have a longer moment arm.  There are really two types of "slowing" that occur in the swing.  There is the obvious velocity decrease resulting from an increased moment arm (the figure skater analogy).  This isn't really a loss of energy.  Then there is your body working actively against you through muscle contraction to prevent you from blowing out your joints when you are moving quickly.  The latter is what we are generally concerned about in the golf swing and why torso and hip flexibility is so important to keeping the body from slowing prematurely and keeping the club from flipping.  Sorry if this is overly technical.

But yeah.  Right arm bent at impact is good.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Okay, so I think I learned another mistake I've been making over the past two weeks: getting my head too far forward.

Yes, I know, I've been warned against that, but like I said it wasn't a big concern at the time.   However, today when I started on the range, I had a case of the open-facies.  I finally thought, "hmmm, maybe my head is getting too far forward."  I focused on that the next two swings, and my hips slid forward and rotated, while my head stayed back and the contact was solid.

Taking things slow really has helped over the past two days.  Hopefully I've made some progress.

Brandon

• 2 weeks later...

None of my subscribed threads have any new posts, so I may as well give an update here.

The past two weeks had been pretty bad as I was leaving the face open at impact all the time.  I finally realized it was because I was immediately rotating my wrists upon takeaway and leaving the club "laid off" (I think) at the top, and working hard to square it back up by over-rotating my wrists.  That caused a hook whenever I actually got the face to close down by the time I made impact.

So 2-3 days ago I realize this, don't have time to warm up before 9 holes with co-workers, and immediately started hitting it straight with good contact.  It felt uncomfortable, but it worked.  I didn't have time for the range a couple days ago, but I played 9 holes at a par 72 course and shot my low 9 of the year (42).  I dropped 2-4 shots because of skulled chip shots, or that could have been much better.  On a par 5 I was 10 yards short of the green in two and was just trying a little chip and run to get it close, and shanked it further away from the hole and ended with bogey.  On a short (305 yard) par 4, I was 30 yards short of the green and tried a quarter-wedge shot and shanked it into the bunker and took a double-bogey.  If not for those two brain farts I would have probably beaten my previous 9 hole low of 40.

Another positive is that I've been consistently driving it well and with confidence the last 3 weeks or so.  I've also been able to hit draws and fades as needed, which is an incredible asset.  Basically through all of the range work and realizing what I had been doing wrong all this time, I sort of understand how to swing inside-to-out for a draw and hold off my follow throw (and let my left arm lead) for a fade/cut.

There is this 390 yard par 4 that dog legs right at about 60 degrees and if you hit it through the fairway dead straight at about 260 yards it will end up in a huge fairway bunker.  I always hit three wood to put it out there around the 220-240 mark short of the bunker, but because I couldn't control a fade I've never had less than 150 yards into that hole.  Yesterday I took out the three wood but played for a fade, hoping to get around both bunkers.  I hit it perfectly and it turned down the fairway at about 268 yards (down wind) and ended up dead center of the fairway about 90 yards from the hole.  Having opportunities like that feel great.  I just barely missed the birdie putt.

Brandon

I'm curious to see your swing now...  Post some video if you have it.

[ Equipment ]

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I'm curious to see your swing now...  Post some video if you have it.

Great timing.  Things had been going well the past 7 days (although 2 of them were without golf because of car trouble), but then last night I tried to rush to the driving range before they closed for a quick half-bucket and it was embarrassing.

I have this problem where every once in a while (usually when I don't warm up properly), I cannot feel anything in my backswing and every movement feels awkward and uncomfortable.  Yesterday was one of those days.  I purchased 50 balls, hit 25 of them and left.  I could barely get the face of the club on the ball.

Other than that, as I said I had been feeling pretty good.  I played a 9-hole round and didn't drive it well and still shot a decent score (with a couple birdies, one on the par 5 finishing hole).  I'll try and take some video with my camera-phone if possible, but I haven't tried that before.  I should be playing a lot this extended weekend.

Brandon

90% of golf is mental.  The other 10% is in your head. Looking forward to the video.

[ Equipment ]

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Well, it's definitely not going to be easy

Went to the range and tried working on rotating my hips, sliding my weight forward and swinging from the inside. It will take more getting used to as I hit several complete shanks that slid off to the right about 50 yards away (5iron). But I did consistently take divots, which has been eluding me. Most of them were about even with the ball, though, and not in front. I'll keep working on it and see where it takes me, cause right now I have to consciously think about rotating my hips, which kind of has me taking my eye off the ball.

On the plus side, when I do it properly (as far as what I'm trying to accomplish), I hit a push-draw with my irons. Also, (hips rotate, weight shift forward, hands release inside) it seems to generate more power. I hit driver for the last 5-7 balls, and although most were slices, I hit a few straight that apparently went further than most drives I've hit before. One hit the back net on the 2nd bounce, which I've never done at this range before.

Can't wait to go back tomorrow.

Brandon

Brandon,

You have a nice, powerful motion and the only thing ruining it is your ball position at address. In the 3w video it is just too far back - about where a 6i or 7i should be played from. This alone is causing you to rise up on your left leg through impact in order to give you the room you need to get the club head down to the ball at impact. The flip of the club head into the ball is also an effect of having the ball too far back at address.

Try placing the ball in line with your left arm pit when practising your driver/3w and persevere with it - it is the low point of your swing. You will soon experience a whole new feeling of moving down, out and forwards through impact.

You might also like to lessen your exaggerated knee bend at address - that is over done also.

070211Wildhorse.png

So, while the score is just okay (albeit low round of the year for me so far), from holes 8 through 16 I hit it as well as I ever have.  7/7 fairways and 8 of 10 greens in that stretch.  I've never come close to numbers like that before.

This is the first round I've ever drove it straight and been good with my irons at the same time.  The last few weeks I've been driving it straight and shanking every other iron shot.  It was really an awesome feeling.  From 7i-GW I was very accurate.

With the longer irons I still struggle to get that feeling on the backswing.  I realized that I've been doing some sort of reverse pivot and changing my backswing up every other day.  So I started to get a more rigid upper body turn with less arm action and it's helped a lot.  But it still feels slightly uncomfortable when I have 3i-5i in hand.  With 3i-5i, it was a 50:50 proposition today: either I hit a decent strike, or I shorten up the backswing and come over the top and hook it, or reverse pivot and hook it.  I'm not too worried about it.  I was doing the same thing with my short irons last week, so I just have to work on that at the range this week.

Note I didn't make a putt all day.  I had four attempts at birdie within 15 feet and missed em all.  I also missed a 3 foot birdie putt yesterday. But if I get a few of those to drop I may break 80.  It would also help if I don't blow up on the last 1-2 holes of each 9.

Brandon

Question: how do you adjust your swing when hitting from an uphill stance?

With the hip movement I get, it's pretty reliant on a level stance.  When I'm uphill, I'm almost encouraged to do a reverse pivot move by leaning towards my left side at address in order to be able to transfer weight forward after the backswing.  What is the adjustment?

Brandon

• Administrator

Question: how do you adjust your swing when hitting from an uphill stance?

With the hip movement I get, it's pretty reliant on a level stance.  When I'm uphill, I'm almost encouraged to do a reverse pivot move by leaning towards my left side at address in order to be able to transfer weight forward after the backswing.  What is the adjustment?

I move the ball back a little. I'll move my weight very slightly to the right at setup. Normal swing.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Align your shoulders with the slope and take an extra club or two to account for the added loft.  You can't use your body quite as effectively going uphill, so you just need to swing in balance and don't overswing.  Your weight will naturally fall to your rear foot, but you need to make sure you get somewhat to your left side on your downswing.  Brush the grass to find the low point.  Mine is generally towards the foot that is higher in the air.

Also, if you struggle having a poor front 9 and decent back 9, do what it takes to get physically and mentally ready to be 100% on your first tee shot.  This means extra warm-up time, and especially time to focus and build confidence for the day.  On the first few holes, play conservatively, as in not like it's a PGA tour event on Sunday and you are trailing by 4.  Give your shots a wide berth, but put them in the right spot.  To the green, be fine with a 30 footer or so, but make sure it's pin high and away from trouble.  I find that I start off more holes under par going that route than trying to come out guns blazing.

[ Equipment ]

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Align your shoulders with the slope and take an extra club or two to account for the added loft.  You can't use your body quite as effectively going uphill, so you just need to swing in balance and don't overswing.  Your weight will naturally fall to your rear foot, but you need to make sure you get somewhat to your left side on your downswing.  Brush the grass to find the low point.  Mine is generally towards the foot that is higher in the air.

Thanks to both of you for the input.  On the par 5 17th, I was on an uphill stance/lie and going for the green in two.  I ended up swinging through and flipping the 3 wood completely with my hands with all of my weight on my right (rear) foot and hooking the ball from the right rough to the water hazard that lined the left rough.  That really hurt my round.  Dreaming of eagles and coming away with triple-bogey.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Also, if you struggle having a poor front 9 and decent back 9, do what it takes to get physically and mentally ready to be 100% on your first tee shot.  This means extra warm-up time, and especially time to focus and build confidence for the day.  On the first few holes, play conservatively, as in not like it's a PGA tour event on Sunday and you are trailing by 4.  Give your shots a wide berth, but put them in the right spot.  To the green, be fine with a 30 footer or so, but make sure it's pin high and away from trouble.  I find that I start off more holes under par going that route than trying to come out guns blazing.

I believe it's more physical than mental.  I am simply struggling with my takeaway right now.  I don't always get a full turn, and it takes some warming up before I feel flexible enough to get that full turn.  The first two shots of the day were so bad I almost went home :-).  Tee shot was a 3wood that barely got 10 yards off the ground and barely cleared the water hazard that only takes about 50 yards to clear.  2nd shot was still from only about 160 out and I hit a 7-iron so fat I was left with about 90 yards to the green.  I really started to get a good turn and tempo by the third hole.

The takeaway/backswing is what I'm working on this week at the range.  I haven't been yet because I need to take a couple days off for my body to rest.  Between football practice 5 days a week, golfing 4-6 days a week and working out 6 times a week I had been feeling pretty exhausted, especially in this 100 degree weather.  Tomorrow I will go back to the range.  I'm working on this really rigid takeaway (no arm bend at all, a bit more hip/shoulder rotation), but then it feels TOO rigid at the top, like I can't generate any lag.  Trying to find the right balance.  I'll try and get some video with my phone.

Brandon

Golfing 4-6 days a week?  Crap.  I get maybe once a week if I'm lucky.  It makes me practice smarter.  I'm in Austin, so it's also 100 degrees now.  It doesn't bother me as much as it did last year because my swing is better so I'm not swinging with a lot of effort.  Not hitting 50x100% driver swings in a row helps too.  I can hit 200 balls now and come away feeling like I just warmed up.

[ Equipment ]

The takeaway/backswing is what I'm working on this week at the range.  I haven't been yet because I need to take a couple days off for my body to rest.  Between football practice 5 days a week, golfing 4-6 days a week and working out 6 times a week I had been feeling pretty exhausted, especially in this 100 degree weather.  Tomorrow I will go back to the range.  I'm working on this really rigid takeaway (no arm bend at all, a bit more hip/shoulder rotation), but then it feels TOO rigid at the top, like I can't generate any lag.  Trying to find the right balance.  I'll try and get some video with my phone.

Brandon

Maybe all of the activity that you are involved in is the issue with consistency in your swing.  The body can only be pushed so far and tinkering with a fatigued body could cause bad habits....and you could also burn yourself out.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

You are probably right.  I actually went through this last season and promised myself this year that I would not play as much.  I actually haven't played as much this year, because when I say I'm "golfing" 4-6x a week that means usually 3-4 times at the range and 1-2 rounds of golf.  Still, I'm starting to feel burnt out so I need to keep my own promise to myself from last year.

Last year I would play anywhere between 36-72 holes in 3-4 days.  This year my typical day goes like this:

5am: workout (weights+abs+cardio)

7am-3:30pm: work (desk job)

4pm-4:30pm: driving range

5pm-8pm: football practice

10/11pm: sleep

In the 100 degree weather it can get exhausting, especially since I get 1-2 rounds on the weekend, so I don't have any days of pure rest.  This week I didn't golf on Tuesday or Wednesday, but i did work out.  No football practice this week.  I think I will go to the range today, though.

Brandon

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I've worked on my swing.  I haven't been playing much, but since football season has finally ended for me I've gone out and played once a week over the past 3 weekends.  Football season was great.  I coached DBs/WRs for a 12-1 high school team that unfortunately had their only loss in the Section Championship game.  But that basically consumed all of my time outside of work until 3-4 weeks ago.

I've started playing again without any range sessions or anything and I've been crushing the ball.  I've been averaging around 275 with the driver over the past 3 rounds.  In my round last week, I drove the green on a short par 4 that typically plays around 307.  This particular day I measured it at about 287 with a front pin location.  The drive itself was dead straight though, as this green is well protected.  I probably hit it to within a 2 foot variance of where I was aiming, and the opening to the green is only about 4 yards wide.

Yesterday, I hit my first legitimate 300 yard drive in about a year.  Legitimate meaning no wind, no downhill fairway and no cartpath bounces (although the fairway was probably firm from it being around 40-50 degrees here).  Actual drive distance was 298 yards, but I'm rounding up.  I also reached the 510 yard par 5 in 2 with a 3-iron approach, so I was happy.  I've recorded 2 birdies each of my last two 9-hole rounds.

Unfortunately this hasn't translated into better scores yet, although these scores are much better than what I was posting earlier this year.  But my scores are no better than last season, when I had a different swing.  Now that I hit a draw, I tend to hit a trap-hook with my medium-to-long irons.  It seems like the better turn I get on the backswing, the less severe it is.  However, at least twice a 9-hole round, I hit a hook that goes OB or into a lateral hazard, resulting in a big score.  Often times it's going for a par-5 in 2 from 180-215 yards out.  Next season this will be my focus...working on my long-irons.  Everything else seems pretty good.

Brandon

Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!