IGNORED

My swing (John)

john
Note: This thread is 4987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated! I have been playing much better ever since I stopped thinking about my swing and stopped changing it. The only thing I work on currently is proper focus during the backswing and at impact.

This is my 4 hybrid rescue club, 22 degree.

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5
22 degree hybrid rescue Vokey 60 degree wedge 56 degree sand wedgeBalls are Penta's and some crappy old knockoff putter no one has heard of.

Here is a slowed down version -

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5
22 degree hybrid rescue Vokey 60 degree wedge 56 degree sand wedgeBalls are Penta's and some crappy old knockoff putter no one has heard of.

• 1 month later...

just adding a down the line. This is a pitching wedge.

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

Yep, thinking about your swing during a round is the worst thing you can do. Some rounds I drove them great, but could never hit the green. Some rounds I hit a lot of greens from the rough.

I just did the same thing as you (and many others) did. Just don't waste my time thinking about it when I play. I just learned to live with it. If I hooked the ball today, I'd weaken my grip a bit and aim a little more right. Minimizing mistakes is the big part of Golf, too, IMO.

As for your swing, I thought it's pretty great. The swing has a quick tempo but a nice transition. The only thing is, it seemed like you're swinging the club very casually. I thought the first video was a 'practice swing', lol.

Do you swing the club with this tempo when you are actually playing?

yeah, one of the biggest obstacles I overcame was only thinking about mechanics when I am practicing at home or the driving range. Once I get on the course I try to clear my mind and just let it go.

That is the tempo that I try to use on every swing but very often my brain gets in the way :) Like when I am on a par 5 and I instinctively feel like I have to drive the ball farther. While I know it is wrong that if I swing harder that the ball goes farther I have yet to train my brain not to do that. The same thing happens when I am trying to go for a green in 2. When I can keep that tempo throughout the round is when I have great rounds.

While it seems very casual, with that tempo I can carry that 4 hybrid about 230 yards if everything goes right, lol. Currently the only thing I am working on is keeping my hands looser during my swing. I have a tendency to white knuckle the grip sometimes which causes bad results. Thanks for the response!!! Golfers love to hear that someone likes their swing, it is great for confidence and for me confidence is a HUGE part of my game.

Thanks again!

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

You might want to try quiteing down your lower body you seem like a big strong guy you dont need the lower body for power it just provides inconsistency, and maybe finishing more round your body not high.

I think the things that you do very well are keeping that right elbow close to the body and the transition at the top coming into the downswing is very good concerning the pace. It looks like you have a very good smooth and controlled swing. The one thing I would try change that was mentioned above was lower body. Looks like there is a lot movement in the left leg especially making a very big hip turn on the backswing. Try to keep those hips a little quieter (you prolly hook a quite few from the looks) and worry more about the shoulder turn. but other than that it looked very good.

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

Thanks for the replies! I see what you guys are saying. I do notice that I have alot of lower body movement and you are correct, my main miss is a baby hook. I will definitely take this advice to the range. As I get better lately I have noticed that more shoulder turn is instinctively creeping into my swing and it has really made a difference. Friday I had my best round ever with 4 birdies and a 77 at my home course. I was going to take another vid today to actually look at my new shoulder turn. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!!! I am a self learner so I value other golfers opinions, especially when 2 people say the same thing :)

thanks again!!

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

Here is that new shoulder turn I was talking about. This has happened really only in the last 3 weeks but it has already improved my game. My driving distance and accuracy has increased considerably.

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

Slowed down version -

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

Not a bad swing.
You get a little wristy at the top and the club is going past parallel.

How are you hitting the ball? What is your average shot and what is your bad shot?
The only problem i can see in your swing is that if you don't time it right your'll get a slice.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I am hitting the ball better than ever. My average shot is completely straight, no draw or fade. When I hit a bad shot I will actually hit a small hook, but usually only about 30 yards off but it runs quite a bit which sometimes gets me into trouble (we had a hot summer and the ground is like cement lately). I usually tee off on the right side of the tee box just in case I hit the baby hook. Its funny because when people see that bad shot they say "nice draw" when I am thinking, "damn, it didn't go straight". :) I do not know how to shape a ball yet. The only time I get a slice is when I try to swing out of my shoes which I have almost trained my brain to never do. :)

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

Left side of tee box for hook/draw

???????

That makes no sense. His miss goes left, so he moves a bit more to the right to give him extra space. Your saying to go closer to the OB?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
???????

Yes, because then he'll be aiming farther away from the trouble. If you tee up on the right, you aim more at the trouble.

Makes sense to me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, because then he'll be aiming farther away from the trouble. If you tee up on the right, you aim more at the trouble.

I am confused now, lol. I tee off at the right and aim down the right side since I rarely have a slice. I find that easier than teeing up left and aiming right, at least for my minds eye.

Can you elaborate? Am I training myself incorrectly?

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

I am confused now, lol. I tee off at the right and aim down the right side since I rarely have a slice. I find that easier than teeing up left and aiming right, at least for my minds eye.

It changes the angle you address the ball to the fairway, you open up the fairway by doing this

It changes the angle you address the ball to the fairway, you open up the fairway by doing this

I think I understand what you are saying. Basically teeing left and aiming right gives my bad shot even more room to hook than teeing right and aiming straight. I really never thought of it that way but I do see the logic for sure.

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5

Note: This thread is 4987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!