IGNORED

I took the PW out ......

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last about ten rounds I didn't use my PW at all, so I took it out to make room for a my favourite 2i ....... don't think I will be missing the PW soon .......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Ben Hogan took out his 7 iron for the US Open at Merion for his 1 iron which he hit on the 72nd hole to force a playoff. He claimed that he removed the 7 because there were no 7 iron shots on the course. It worked out pretty good for him.

So that means that you go from 9 iron at 41 degrees to AW at 50 degrees. That's a pretty big gap.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

So that means that you go from 9 iron at 41 degrees to AW at 50 degrees. That's a pretty big gap.

41-50 seems a bit far, but if he wasn't using it anyway, why carry it. For example, I've been carrying a 15th club during practice rounds for a month (my MP-11 2-iron) to see if that is ever the club I reach for over a 3-iron or 19.5* Fybrid. So far it isn't.

I also replaced my MP-11 PW (bent 2 degrees weaker to 50), with a 52 degree MP wedge (bent 1.5 degrees stronger to 50.5) because I like the grind and subsequent turf interaction better (as if I know what that means - lol).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well according to your sig. your are going from a 735 pw at 47* to a 54* SM ..... also a big gap !!!

I am a "strange" guy ...... I feel the gaps-thing is a USA way of thinking golf. There are so many ways to approach a let's say a 60 yds shot to the green, full something wedge, 3/4 something wedge, a half something wedge, a chip with a ...% iron 8, a bump and run with a ...% iron 6, a punch ..... etc. and my personal preference goes towards the last three options. Off my 3 Vokeys I am using the 58* for most bunker shots and some trickshots like from the rough, over a bunker, needing to stop quickly on the green and the 50* for the longer sandshots around the green. The 54* I only use when the bunker sand is very loose (which is very rare overhere). The 7 iron I also don't use more than maybe once or twice a round, just actually only when I need to shoot about 150 yds, which somehow is very little at our course. Actually the clubs I use most are the driver, the adams hybrid, irons 4, 5, 6, 8 and the 58* and of course the putter ....... leaving all others at home, wouldn't suffer my score much...... although I go to another course !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Well according to your sig. your are going from a 735 pw at 47* to a 54* SM ..... also a big gap !!!

Your almost right...I had my 735s bent to start at 48 for a 6 degree gap, (but I used to play 48-56-60)...and my gaps feed into my OCD mind. I kind of like a person who can take a commonly used club out of their bag and have the confidence to hit the shots. Keep us posted.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

41-50-58 .... maybe should bend the 9i to 42, but in case I would trade the set in (hardly going to happen as I like the i15 much).

After reading Dave Pelz Short Game Bible I tried to add the 4x3 system into my arsenal of shot options, but from about 20-30 yds. off the green I prefer pitching with mostly an 8 iron (my favourite club, in some sets I played before it was mostly a 7i, but the i15 lofts are a bit stronger) ..... to make things predictable, landing zone just on the green, so sometimes also using the 9i or the BV 50 and from 30-100 yds I prefer a bump-and-run shot, mostly using the 6i and trying to land the ball at a flat grass zone to be sure the first bump is straight ahead (which is very important in the B&R; shot) ...... I've doing this about 20 yrs. and I can be very accurate with this .....

The 4x3 system .... with 4* gaps ..... it sure works, but it takes a lot of practice, and the 7:30 swings are very hard to become consistent with.

Still I personally feel it is important to have many options and there are of course many circumstances, that don't allow my "chicken-shots" having to use a halfswing lobwedge ..... and then I sure meet double bogey or worse having to play shots I am not familar with..... so I sure need to go practicing the trickshots with the BV 58 .... if I ever want to reach hc 5 or better.

If you know how to play 3/4 9 iron shots and such, you won't miss your PW.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are so many ways to approach a let's say a 60 yds shot to the green, full something wedge, 3/4 something wedge, a half something wedge, a chip with a ...% iron 8, a bump and run with a ...% iron 6, a punch ..... etc. and my personal preference goes towards the last three options.

That's fine, but what about a 125-yard approach? I hit a full pitching wedge. With your bag, I wouldn't be able to reach it with your 50°, and I'd fly right over it with your 9. I guess you hit a knock-down 9? Personal preference here, but I'd much rather carry a club for that distance.

-Andrew

125 yds .... about a 9 iron and if it goes 130 yds..... no problem, just a slightly longer putt .....

125 yds .... about a 9 iron and if it goes 130 yds..... no problem, just a slightly longer putt .....

I hit my 9 iron 160 to 115 in the same round last Sunday (and 15 yards if you count the flub on #6).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!