IGNORED

Few Bits Of Help Needed

ben619
Note: This thread is 6423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Firstly, Draw. How to I make a shot have draw, there's a few holes at my club where I could really use some draw.

Secondly, spin. I'm really not sure on how to put spin on the ball, I've done it a few times, but sometimes I just keep finning it!

• Administrator
Firstly, Draw. How to I make a shot have draw, there's a few holes at my club where I could really use some draw.

Draw: swing inside-to-outside relative to the clubface.

Spin: solid contact while hitting down and through the ball. Both are helped with higher swing speeds, though the latter is helped much more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

that's the theory... in real life easier said than done. Draw shot is less controllable, more likely to get a big mishit if not timed correctly. You have to start simple. My instructor made me start with simply closing the stands, keeping the same line to the target (your right foot and right shoulder will end up a bit closer to the ball than with 'normal swing') and do NOT do anything unusual to the swing itself (grip, plane, etc.) You can experiment with it later, once you get hang of it.

That should start you on the right path to hit a draw. Spin... oh boy. that's a tough one for a amateur. When all pro players fight the spin we all try to increase it. Why? beacuse it looks cool. The only scenario when you really, really need it is when the pin is tucked in right behind a hazard bordering the green. You need to fly it in there and stop (or back up). That's about 10% of greens you'll hit into. Focus instead on hitting correct distance and direction with adjusting for few feet of roll. This will allow you to put yourself in potential birdie position on 90% of the greens... the other 10% - oh well, you'll have to settle for a par There was a story I once heard. Allegedly Arnold Palmer (back in the 60's) was teamed up with few amateurs in a ProAm tournament. At 175yds par 3, he hit a beautiful 7 iron, which landed 5 feet past the pin and spon back to about a foot. One of the amateurs said "Mr. Palmer, could you teach me to spin the ball back like this?" Arnie asked "how long do you hit your 7iron?" He answerd "140 yards" where Arnie replied "so why they heck do you want it to spin back for?!?!"

• 2 weeks later...
I have always thought that an excellent swing thought to produce a draw is thinking of "swinging towards first base' - if you are not used to hitting a draw it is a tough feeling to get used to as your mind/body assumes that kind of motion will produce a shot that goes straight right -- give it a shot, it may help. Also, to produce a draw, you need to have your body aligned (along with your shoulders and hips) slightly to the right of the target - combine that with the "swing towards first base" thought, and a few hours on the range and you should get the hang of it...

Spin on the ball is another story altogether -- it is very touch for most players to produce consistently -- the key is sharp contact with the ball, a higher swing speed and a steep angle of attack.... what adds to the difficulty is that many public courses just don't keep their fairways tight enough to produce much spin (even if you do all of the above) -- it is much easier to produce spon on high end courses with really tight fairways...

do u just copy this out a book cause its sounds 2 me like u dont know alot?

u can say all that but only a good player can use a draw when they want it, putting spin on the ball is alot harder than u seem 2 think if u do it u must be the best 4 Hcp i have ever met! i am 8 shots better than u and i find it hard!

What? Who are you?

I didn't hear Erik say, "I'm better than you." What I did hear him say was that an inside-to-out swing path imparts draw spin and hitting down on a golf ball with sufficient clubhead speed creates spin. Pretty basic stuff.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

well what you put for your handicap makes you allot better then me.. However I dont have a problem pulling a pitching wedge back a yard when I hit the green.. what I have a hard understanding is how did you get to where your at handicap wise without being able to work the ball? with your skill why arent you trying to make some money your +4 handicap?? sounds fishy to me

you shouldnt bash someone for trying to help you.. so what if sounds like he read it out of a book maybe he did.. and either way he knew it because he wrote it in the thread.. straight and to the point what more could you want??

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

well what you put for your handicap makes you allot better then me.. However I dont have a problem pulling a pitching wedge back a yard when I hit the green.. what I have a hard understanding is how did you get to where your at handicap wise without being able to work the ball? with your skill why arent you trying to make some money your +4 handicap?? sounds fishy to me

How i got 2 where i am...umm shall i tell u, i dont drink,dont smoke, i play golf twice day 36 holes! and i also hit over 500 balls a day, when i spin the ball i dont control it, i strike the ball clean and it zips back about 20 ft or i go down the shaft and punch it in and it stops dead so dont start with Fishy stuff alright and i was not bashing him ok

So i am very sorry 2 any1 that was hurt by what i said i was just making at point

there is no reason to flip out happy.. what do u do for a living that allows you to play twice a day?? (I want a job there myself) I play reg with someone that shoots +1.4 and he can work the ball any which way.. fade draw low high.. so for me to chat with someone that is over +4 and has a problem putting enough spin on the ball to pull it back is wierd for me.. sorry..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Ok Now who r u? bite ur lip i was talking 2 u,

I'm not going to bit my lip when someone gets bent out of shape for nothing. This is a public forum after all. What Erik said likely did not come from a book but from his brain as what he said is common knowledge. Who cares if it came out of a book if its true anyway!

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

there is no reason to flip out happy.. what do u do for a living that allows you to play twice a day?? (I want a job there myself) I play reg with someone that shoots +1.4 and he can work the ball any which way.. fade draw low high.. so for me to chat with someone that is over +4 and has a problem putting enough spin on the ball to pull it back is wierd for me.. sorry..

Its always been the 1 bit of my golf which i have had problems with, i hit fairways and greens and i am very hot with a putter, but working the ball is a bit of a bad 1, i can draw and fade, spin control is tough tho and round the greens i play anyway u either get 2 much spin or it runs off the back of the greens, but i keep working hard at it, i was a golf manager but gave that up, got funding 2 play golf!

I'm not going to bit my lip when someone gets bent out of shape for nothing. This is a public forum after all. What Erik said likely did not come from a book but from his brain as what he said is common knowledge. Who cares if it came out of a book if its true anyway!

yeah ok just tho u were his lover the way u got all puffed up like a Cobra!ha just chill man sorry

• Administrator
yeah ok just tho u were his lover the way u got all puffed up like a Cobra!ha just chill man sorry

Grow up, buddy. This is your first and only warning.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What Iacas said really helped me out! So don't flame/whatever him. After about a week of practise I got to spin the ball back about a foot, not much I don't think, but it's a lot better and it really helps, if I keep practising, then I'll be able to spin it back a hell of a lot better.
Thanks Iacas!
Ben

Note: This thread is 6423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!