IGNORED

new guy needs some help

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

yeah i was going to buy used or last year closeouts, but after gofling for a second time with a friend that plays d1 at ohio state, he told me not to get either a 3wood or driver and get a wedge, he said that because right now im only play par three course cause im just starting out...that sound about right?

Thats a tough one. I was in the exact position you were. I had no clubs and hadn't played since I was 12. I found a used set on craigslist, Nike SDS irons and the guy through in a Nike SQ 460 driver and 3&5 wood all for $200. I think you can't go wrong with either. I hit my 3 wood 10-20 yards shorter than my driver off the tee but with better control, but my driver is coming around and thats because I have one and I practice with it. I told myself not to be afraid of it. I played 1 round at a par 3 course with no sand wedge and shot 9 over. Then my roommate finally made me go play my first full round ever with his dad, I shot a 95 with no sand wedge. Then I got my clubs regripped and got myself a used mizuno 54* wedge and shot a 94 at a much harder course than the course I play my first round. I was amazed at the difference a nice wedge made in my bag. Its so much easier to get up and down when you have a wedge to work with. I think a lot of times we're scared to do bad or want the perfect clubs, but the only way to get better is to start playing. I wouldn't limit myself to stricly par 3 courses.

Unless you only plan to play par three courses you'll eventually need to learn to hit a wood and driver. I found that swinging the wood and driver initially messed up my irons swing and I've had to make adjustments to hit both consistently. I don't know how long you would want to go without incorporating them into your swing.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well its not that i dont want to learn i just dont know what to get first? driver, 3w, wedge?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. If you're going to regularly play par three and you have to pick just one now, then I agree with your friend you'll get more use from the wedge.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In that case I would say 3 wood cause its versatile. The wedge is nice, but you can't hit the wedge off the tee and off the deck when your +200 yards out. With the 3 wood you get the best of both worlds plus you'll probably be more consistent off the tee.

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!