IGNORED

What's your putting grip?

Lionsloser07
Note: This thread is 4781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a righty that uses a standard, left-handed overlap grip. I had been playing around with the left hand low grip for a while. It helps me keep longer putts online. Then one round this year I hit a couple of bad putts and just made the switch mid round. I don't think I have made any more or less from switching, but if I miss, the putt coming back is much closer.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Reverse interlock, palms parallel. Seems to limit stray hand-action which pulls putts offline.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont think there is a better or worse way to grip your putter as long as it works for you. I use a standard reverse overlap. I also chip with this grip.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I use the standard grip. None of the other grips feel comfortable for me, and I don't have too much trouble with keeping putts in line. Now speed and reads are a whole other story.

i use a right over left two finger interlocked grip...

Carry Bag
G10 Driver
G10 3 Wood
MP 60 Irons (4 - PW)
Eye 2 Sand Wedge Scotty Cameron Fast Back Putter Pro V1 & Pro V1x Balls ICON Shoes Gloves

Baseball grip with both thumbs down the front of the grip and no extended index fingers. Grip has medium to light pressure.

Waiting for summer...

I use the Stan Utley grip too. Except I don't overlap my right hand pinky finger.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

• 7 months later...
Originally Posted by right handed phil mickelson

Just like this but my right index finger is straight out along the length of the shaft.

Mine looks like this with a key, but crucial difference:  the right hand sits one finger-width lower on the shaft so the left index finger sits in between the right index finger and pinky.  This does two things that have all but eliminated random loss of feel throughout the year:

1.  It opens the shoulders slightly giving me a better sense of the target line

2.  It raises the importance of the right hand in my minds eye, gives my right hand more control, and turns the feel knob from a 6 to about a 9.

That small grip change is the sole reason I'm back to averaging less than 30 putts per round these days.  I really feel like I'm rolling a ball with my right hand now.  Not releasing the putter is also a non-option because blocking is about twice as hard with the hands like this.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Cross-handed - left hand low, or lefty grip,whatever you want to call it.  I started that a couple years ago to fight a tendency to pull putts and found that it worked exceedingly well for me.  I'm so used to it now, a standard grip feels weird.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

cross handed, or left hand low as some call it, with my fingers overlapping just like a left handed golf grip. Been the same for 14 years now.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

I prefer the traditional grip simply because it feels the most natural to me.  For a while I putted crosshanded but I found it too difficult to do lag putts with.  I experimented with the claw too, but that just felt too weird for me.

The traditional grip feels much like my normal grip (interlock) and gives me 1 less thing to think about while Im standing over the ball about to putt.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I use a reverse overlap grip.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by alo1984

I grip the putter in the fingers of my left hand with my thumb pointed down the shaft, then with my right hand I wrap my pinky and ring finger around the index finger of my left hand. Then I point my right index finger down the right side of the putter shaft. This grip really gives me a light touch with stability to boot.

I started using this grip last year, and it has been nothing but awesome. Extending the index fingers down both sides of the grip keeps my wrists quiet during the stroke,

Note: This thread is 4781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!