IGNORED

My Swing (redranger)

redranger
Note: This thread is 5005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A month ago I got a 17* hybrid to close the gap between my Driver and 3 iron. I hit it high and straight the first week I got it and it helped me to shoot a career best 76.

Then I started to draw it and then the draw got bigger until it turned into a low sharp hook after I tried to fix it. About 2 weeks ago, this problem crept into my driver swing and now I hit the same low hook.

It is only these two clubs that I am struggling with as of now.

I tried a few things like making my strong grip more neutral and even weak to get rid of the hook, but it causes me to slice it and it's really uncomfortable since I've always had a strong grip.

I saw my pro for a lesson and he tried to get me to emphasize me getting the feel of taking my backswing and downswing more outside outside and keeping the face open.

Any tips or drills would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* titleist.gif 910F 13.5* 
titleist.gif 909H 17* titleist.gif AP2 710 3, 5-PW
vokey.gif Spin Milled 52*08| 56*11 | 60*07
taylormade.gif Rossa Classic Imola 8 AGSI

well, the hook is easy to fix by the looks of things. weaken your grip! that sucker is strong. you'd have to hold off to keep that thing from turning over. also, your stance is a bit wide causing your back foot to scoot up a la greg norman. but it works for him, perhaps it works for you, too. however, he did not have a very wide stance. i'd mess with those two for now and they should give you more control over the face and better balance and more stability.

Maybe you're swaying back too much on the back swing?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your head and upper center move back when your hands move through impact
The ball seems to be to far forward in your stance
I think your stance is to wide.
I think you need to get more weight on your front foot at address, you look like your on your back foot, move your weight back more and just can't get back trhough the shot. The ball is to forward so your clubface is closing down and your getting the old Snap Hook.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I noticed the same things about my ball position, swaying and stance width when I actually saw it on video. I don't know how/when this started happening, but I tried to fix some of those things and my normal ball flight and impact is coming back.

Thanks guys!
titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* titleist.gif 910F 13.5* 
titleist.gif 909H 17* titleist.gif AP2 710 3, 5-PW
vokey.gif Spin Milled 52*08| 56*11 | 60*07
taylormade.gif Rossa Classic Imola 8 AGSI

well, the hook is easy to fix by the looks of things. weaken your grip! that sucker is strong. you'd have to hold off to keep that thing from turning over. also, your stance is a bit wide causing your back foot to scoot up a la greg norman. but it works for him, perhaps it works for you, too. however, he did not have a very wide stance. i'd mess with those two for now and they should give you more control over the face and better balance and more stability.

Yeah, that's what I see. A little more knee bend/squat and keeping the weight on the inside of his feet might allow him to be a bit more quiet with the legs.

I was impressed how well he's got the clubhead snapping though the ball - dude's got some power!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Too strong left hand grip, takeaway drops under plane and hence inside (keep clubhead above and outside your hands,) you cross the line at the top, now you are trapped so you drop under and flip the club without opening up the lower body. Take the club away without dropping under and inside, and shift left and drive the hips turn through the shot... square the club with your body and swing and not your hands. It will feel strange at first but better soon. When the swing gets right, you will feel like you cover the ball and the club face will square up on its own.

RC

Note: This thread is 5005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!