IGNORED

My Swing (Taggsy)

Taggsy
Note: This thread is 4688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Turns out this Matt Kuchar chap has the same issues with his right arm....

I'm now worried that if I start tinkering, I wont earn $4,244,798 next year like this chap has this year... ;)

Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Corza Ghost
Wedges - Titleist Vokey Oil Can; 50/08, 54/14, 58/04
Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW
Hybrid - Mizuno MP CLK 3 iron
Rangefinder - Bushnell Tour V2Ball - Pro V1s / Srixon Z Star Yellow

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I'm now worried that if I start tinkering, I wont earn $4,244,798 next year like this chap has this year... ;)

I know that's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but if you're fine with that move then keep doing it. Obviously you don't quite possess Matt Kuchar's ability (yet?), but go for it...

For virtually every swing "flaw" you can find a PGA Tour player who does the thing. It's not really proof of anything, and it doesn't mean the swing will work for you. P.S. Note how far his arms have moved by the time his shoulders have moved 90 degrees. You don't do that in your swing... so if you're gonna swing like Matt Kuchar, you've still got work to do...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

What do you think?

Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW

looks like a very good swing for a 20 handicap. what do you have problems with in your swing. do you slice it, push it, top it. exc. Once we know how you hit the ball we can better help you.

i didnt see much wrong with it. Your posture looks a little bent over to me and you look like you have a very low plane to your swing like a matt kuchar does. with a shallow swing plane like that you have to do a lot of work to get the club back in the right spot. i would suggest looking a kuchars swing on youtube.

Ignore the handicap, I'm closer to 10, but haven't got around to working it out properly.

Most of my issues at the mo are down to contact rather than the flight path. I'll alternate between hitting it fat and then thin for my poor shots.

Both swings in that video were hit slightly fat.

My swing plane's a lot steeper than last summer, check out my older videos for a really low plane lol.

Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW

try a steeper shoulder turn.  also, on the face on view, i noticed that your head moves back on the downswing.  head looks good and stable on the backswing, but at impact youre moving it away from the target.

Colin P.

Nice to see your updated swing video.

Some things I notice:

Most important thing I see is, on your backswing, your pelvis and hips move back--you can see this on the F.O. view where your left hip is even with the tree trunk at address.  Then as you turn in the backswing, you can see space between your left hip and the tree trunk.  On the forward swing, you do a pretty good job of going forward with the hips and extending.  However, if you keep your left hip on the tree trunk going back, then go more forward in the transition and forward swing and then extend arms, back, and legs into impact; you will be hitting less thins and fatties.

Could widen the stance a bit and have your feet angled out a bit more.

The ball is back in your stance for a 6i

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

you do have a shallow swing plane which is why you are blocking the ball. You can keep you shallow swing plane or you can steepen your shoulder plan.

if you want to keep a shallow shoulder turn here is what you have to concentrate on to get better ball contact.

1. work on alignment. make sure everything is aiming were it should be.

2. aggressive body turn through the ball

3. hip rotation rather than a hip thrust(your right foot should be nearly flat on the ground)

4. arms closer to body

5. bigger shoulder turn. get your left shoulder behind the ball and the right shoulder behind the left at the top of the swing.

6. post up your left leg

one last thing i just noticed, you didnt really take a divot, looked like you were trying to help the ball up a little bit. try keeping your wrists cocked until the last second of impact.

Widen your stance... also, I would suggest turning your feet out a little. However, the biggest problem I see is that your hips have no lateral movement. Thats why you have to fall away to create axis tilt.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I'd narrowed my stance over the off season because it meant I was able to slide my hips forward through impact easier. A side effect of this is my hips now slide backwards slightly on the backswing. If I can't fix my occasional fats and thins, I'll widen my stance and see if that helps.

There's an optical illusion with the FO view- I set up with the ball a few inches off my left heel, but in the video it looks way back.

I don't want to tinker too much with my swing this year, as it stands I think I can score in the 70s with it. My fairway stats have been very good lately, GIR not so much, but I'm usually close enough to the green for a decent attempt at an up & down save.

I played the (harder) front 9 at my local course the other day and went around in 38. My putting was on fire that day though lol.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW

One thing people don't realize is the hips must start the down swing and the lateral move or slide is just an illusion of the transfer of weight from your right side to your left side as the hips are rotating. Try and keep your right leg from straightening on the back swing. It is causing you to push your left knee way out and thats a power killer. Maintain the flex in your knees from address all the way through your back swing. You also lift up a little at impact thats why you didnt take much of a divit, everything else looks good.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

One thing people don't realize is the hips must start the down swing and the lateral move or slide is just an illusion of the transfer of weight from your right side to your left side as the hips are rotating. Try and keep your right leg from straightening on the back swing. It is causing you to push your left knee way out and thats a power killer. Maintain the flex in your knees from address all the way through your back swing. You also lift up a little at impact thats why you didnt take much of a divit, everything else looks good.

so...who's going to take this one?

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

so...who's going to take this one?

lol

This is why I ignore most advice given here ;)

Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW

What I'm tell you is correct. The straightening of your right leg is causing you to spin out during your take away and it is causing you to have a slight reverse pivot and that is why your head falls back slightly during your down swing.

Look at the difference between Anthony kims back swing and yours.

taggsy.jpg

5 Simple Keys® Associate

• Administrator

What I'm tell you is correct. The straightening of your right leg is causing you to spin out during your take away and it is causing you to have a slight reverse pivot and that is why your head falls back slightly during your down swing.

Your rear leg should decrease its flex or "straighten" on the backswing. Everyone does it to some degree (Anthony Kim less than most, someone like Phil Mickelson does it more than many). I think Taggsy knows this, but feel free to peruse this thread yourself.

Your line isn't great, because you miss the fact that his head stays perfectly still while his HIPS go backwards.

taggsy1.jpg

I'd move the ball position forward a bit, and widen the stance with a little more "duck feet" (splayed out feet) to help your hips remain a bit more centered. With the forward ball position you'll be less inclined to try to "get behind it" like you do currently first with your hips (backswing, and then never far enough forward on the downswing) and your head (downswing).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks Iacas, I'll widen my stance and put the ball more forwards.

:)

Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW

Ok, I read the thread and it looks like everyone has there own opinion on the subject so I will leave it at that.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

No offense, but your advice doesn't really make sense to me.

First, I've never heard anyone claim that the back leg straightening leads to spin out. And for that matter, I've never heard anyone talk about spin out during the backswing.

Second, he doesn't have a reverse pivot. Weight predominately back and then it is predominately forward.

Lastly, in my opinion the fall away is due to attempt to balance himself and to create axis tilt. Try swinging with your feet together and see if it looks similar to his motion.

Note: This thread is 4688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!