IGNORED

Iron Length/Lie Angle

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's an example...

My irons are +0.5" and 2º flat. If I were to buy a sent of irons off eBay that were 2º flat but were standard length, all I would need to do is swap out the shafts for some that are +0.5" and wouldn't need to bend the lie angle at all. If I kept them as they came off eBay, they'd play too flat and would need to be bent upright to fit my swing.

your dumb, shortening the club will take off from the lie angle, so shortening it make it flatter, lengthning it makes it more upright.

The relationship of the shaft to the sole of the club (lie angle) does not change. If you clamp the club in a Mitchell machine, the lie angle will remain constant, no matter how much you cut the shaft. Swinging the club on a lie board is an entirely different matter, as the dynamics of a shorter shaft on a players swing will have the sole interact with the ground at a different angle. I will overlook the dumb comment, as I won't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

The relationship of the shaft to the sole of the club (lie angle) does not change. If you clamp the club in a Mitchell machine, the lie angle will remain constant, no matter how much you cut the shaft. Swinging the club on a lie board is an entirely different matter, as the dynamics of a shorter shaft on a players swing will have the sole interact with the ground at a different angle. I will overlook the dumb comment, as I won't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

The effective lie angle does change. There is a difference between effective lie angle and static lie angle. Look up Tom Wishon's golf club theory. The man knows what he is talking about.

Static lie angle = The physical club as it was made. IE...... a 64 degree lie angle PW at 35.5" Effective lie is the height of the players grip using the same 64 degree PW at 35.5 ". Add 1" to the shaft and place the club at the same grip height......... the toe points upward. And this must be considered when building clubs for people.

The physical lie angle does not change, but the relationship (I.E. 1° flat, 2° upright, etc.) does change. A 64° PW is standard lie, but a 64° 3 iron is 6° upright. "Standard" lie angle changes with length. Physical lie angle does not.

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!