IGNORED

LPGA Players swing speed

ronaldkuntoro
Note: This thread is 3402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder how much DRIVER swing speed these LPGA Players have.... compare to PGA Tour which is around 115 Mph.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

I wonder how much DRIVER swing speed these LPGA Players have.... compare to PGA Tour which is around 115 Mph.

I've read that Michelle Wie has about 105mph swing speed. And that the average is about 96mph.

• Administrator
http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...-Tour-vs.-LPGA

Ball Speed / Smash Factor = Clubhead Speed

Can I close the thread now?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
How about Paula Creamer's Swing speed? she looks like she got a fast one...

She's not one of the longer hitters on the LPGA Tour, so no.

http://www.lpga.com/player_stats.aspx?mid=4&pid;=5 She's #116 on the list with an average driving distance of 240 yards.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

why do LPGA pro's hit up and PGA pro's hit down with the driver?

do you get more distance with a slower SS if you hit up?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Oh.. this would be a good suggestion for new feature in new forum. If Original Poster can tag a tread (not just a subject), search function will be used more and produce less redundant thread. Instead of looking through subjects & body contents, it can just simply skim through subject & tags.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

• Administrator
Oh.. this would be a good suggestion for new feature in new forum. If Original Poster can tag a tread (not just a subject), search function will be used more and produce less redundant thread. Instead of looking through subjects & body contents, it can just simply skim through subject & tags.

Huddler has tags. So does vBulletin, I think, but we don't have it turned on or something. They're on by default in Huddler.

The answer that I've heard (and which makes sense) is: they need a higher launch since they have a lower ball speed.

Its intresting to see what swing speed does (or doesnt) do for you if you swing in the slower area. You hardly see LPGA players backup balls like on the PGA Tour. They get it to stop, but thats pretty much it (there are exceptions of course).

BTW. if i remeber correctly, Lorena Ochoa, who had an average distance of something around 260 with her driver, played a very low loft (8 or 8.5) - if you look at Alvaro Quiros with a much higher swing speed, he plays more loft than Ochoa did. Difference is the dynamic loft produced - Ochoa most likely hit up on it while Quiros pretty much does the opposite.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Its intresting to see what swing speed does (or doesnt) do for you if you swing in the slower area. You hardly see LPGA players backup balls like on the PGA Tour. They get it to stop, but thats pretty much it (there are exceptions of course).

Yes it's interesting to see that LPGA players use lower loft like 8.5 than PGA Tour players who swing faster but use 9.5 and 10.5 loft.

BTW Do you know Lorena Ochoa's Driver Swing Speed ?
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

• 4 years later...

Male tour players never hit down on the ball with their driver that's a terrible technique. Look at the long drive pro's they use a 5 deg driver and hit the ball on the absolute upswing as possible. Lady pro's and amateurs alike would benefit with lower loft because of less spin and more roll all while playing reg flex and lighter shafts. Pga pro's use xx flex and 9-10 loft because at their 118 mph swing speed it's a great mixture of pure carry with some roll and more fairways. If they used a 7 deg it would just go to low for em and no control.With a 144 mph swing speed long drive pros using a 10 deg driver with a xxx flex shaft would produce terrible results. It's all swing speed relevant and some skill and technique depending on how level or upward your hit the driver..

Male tour players never hit down on the ball with their driver that's a terrible technique.

Not sure that's true, pretty sure some of them still hit down and get away with because their swings speeds are awesome. I agree that they'd benefit from hitting up, but not all of them know that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Male tour players never hit down on the ball with their driver that's a terrible technique. Look at the long drive pro's they use a 5 deg driver and hit the ball on the absolute upswing as possible. Lady pro's and amateurs alike would benefit with lower loft because of less spin and more roll all while playing reg flex and lighter shafts. Pga pro's use xx flex and 9-10 loft because at their 118 mph swing speed it's a great mixture of pure carry with some roll and more fairways.

I'm not sure to whom you're responding, but…

http://thesandtrap.com/t/32498/trackman-data-pga-tour-vs-lpga/72#post_890442

PGA Tour players absolutely hit down with their drivers. Part of the reason is that they are giving up distance but gaining a little more control. A higher spin loft can reduce any lateral deviation between path and face angle to tilt the spin axis. Or maybe they are just more comfortable hitting down slightly.

Female players often need higher loft because, at slower swing speeds, launching the ball high is more important to maximize carry yardages.

Welcome to the site @Mike Boatright ; stick around. Lots to learn and discuss.

Note: This thread is 3402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!