IGNORED

More money than brains?

glk23
Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in Tacoma and very little gets me to go north and used clubs ain't one of them. A few places closer to me, but would have to luck into something. Would like to have a backup driver with a R shaft, but would be looking a few years old probably. Even a couple hundred bucks get me thinking about playing the ten rounds instead.

yeah i know what you mean. golfing at some decent courses around here doesn't come cheap. I had planned on buying my Oki card but never got around to it...amount of money I've spent on playing at Oki Courses around here, I could've bought the oki card like 3 times probably.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Tacoma and very little gets me to go north and used clubs ain't one of them. A few places closer to me, but would have to luck into something. Would like to have a backup driver with a R shaft, but would be looking a few years old probably. Even a couple hundred bucks get me thinking about playing the ten rounds instead.

Maybe my atlas is broken, but isn't Oregon south of Tacoma? And isn't Tacoma like about 4 long irons from Seattle? You just sound like a total lazyass to me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

yeah i know what you mean. golfing at some decent courses around here doesn't come cheap. I had planned on buying my Oki card but never got around to it...amount of money I've spent on playing at Oki Courses around here, I could've bought the oki card like 3 times probably.

Work in Lacey and will probably buy one of the Oki cards next year for the Hawks Prairie courses. At $15 during the week it would pay for itself quickly.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Maybe my atlas is broken, but isn't Oregon south of Tacoma? And isn't Tacoma like about 4 long irons from Seattle? You just sound like a total lazyass to me.

Yea, I know where Oregon is smart guy. Also pretty sure how far Seattle is, not the distance I care about.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Yea, I know where Oregon is smart guy. Also pretty sure how far Seattle is, not the distance I care about.

Are you worried about getting murdered ? I've heard Seattle is a rough town.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Are you worried about

thats why i'm so gangster on the internet. seattle's made me tough. all the granola and trees...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Yea, that's it. It wouldn't be things like time, traffic, parking. I heard they have all those murdering homeless people in Seattle and my 7 iron just wouldn't cut it.

In my Bagboy cart bag:

Whats the big deal? Some hunters have 50 guns. Some shutterbugs have 20 lenses. Any hobby that offers a large selection of equipment will offer participants to buy and try whatever they want until they find what works best.

OF COURSE the athletic move on the golf ball is more important than the stick. That argument has been beat to death.

The answer is in between those that say, "Get lessons, noob!" and those who keep buying stuff without making improvements to their stroke. You have to do both. Find the right gear and find your stroke. Hitting an ill fitting set of clubs with a golden stroke is foolish. Hitting a $4000 set of clubs with a lousy stroke is equally foolish.

It's not one or the other, it's both. Those that sit on one side of the fence only are lying to themselves and us. Just look at the sigs and the posted hdcps...not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

I respect golfro because he has the balls to tell someone straight up. If you ask me some of yall need to man up and stop contradicting yourself. You need to make statement and stick to it.

Spending 2,000 over a few months isn't a lot of money to some people. Esp if it is on something they like.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

I respect golfro because he has the balls to tell someone straight up. If you ask me some of yall need to man up and stop contradicting yourself. You need yo make statement and stick to it.

The ball you chose for your avatar is actually a lady's ball.

I said it and I'm sticking to it.

Spending 2,000 over a few months isn't a lot of money to some people. Esp if it is on something they like.

The point of this thread isn't how much is spent, but how well it's spent. I tend to agree with the OP that you shop and test and demo and do whatever is necessary to find the right gear, then USE it. I've seen those on here who say they wouldn't pay $100 for a round of golf, yet the same person would spent $1500+ a year searching for the perfect driver or putter. Shop smarter (or just come to the realization that another $500 driver isn't going to change his game one iota) and he could afford to play those nicer courses that he considers too pricey now.

That said, I did buy a new driver this year.... my 3 year old Mizuno never had been the consistent performer I'd hoped for. My Diablo Edge does seem to be working, 2 months into the honeymoon. My irons are 2 years old now and the honeymoon is still in full swing. I have absolutely no intention of changing them. My putter is 2 years older than the irons. In about 40 years of playing this wonderful game, I've only really had about 6 iron sets, so I'll never be defined as an equipment ho. I'd rather spend my available cash on playing golf, so that's what I do.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The point of this thread isn't how much is spent, but how well it's spent. I tend to agree with the OP that you shop and test and demo and do whatever is necessary to find the right gear, then USE it. I've seen those on here who say they wouldn't pay $100 for a round of golf, yet the same person would spent $1500+ a year searching for the perfect driver or putter. Shop smarter (or just come to the realization that another $500 driver isn't going to change his game one iota) and he could afford to play those nicer courses that he considers too pricey now.

I've played rounds with 7 different sets of irons this year (all still in the garage). All together they were less than $1000 - probably spent about less than $650 on those sets.

I've played rounds with 7 different sets of irons this year (all still in the garage). All together they were less than $1000 - probably spent about less than $650 on those sets.

While I don't understand the mindset that goes through clubs like that, apparently you do spend carefully if you can get that many clubs for so little money. I just don't think that most players do themselves any favors by constantly switching out like that. Most people need to play the same thing for a period of time to develop any degree of consistency.

Rick

I can see some validity in all the points made so far. I will invest enough into a hobby to feel confident that the equipment will not be the limiting factor in my success. If I see a club that I think will improve my game I'll buy it, but at this point I need to work on the "indian" not buying new "arrows".

I don't see anything wrong with someone spending their money on equipment if that's what they enjoy. I know a few guys that have 10+ drivers, putters, and numerous iron sets. They seem more interested in the quest to find the perfect club than improving their game. They test every new club that comes out, and add the ones they deem worthy to the collection. I think their interest in new equipment helps maintain their passion for the sport, so it works for them.

Joe Paradiso

While I don't understand the mindset that goes through clubs like that, apparently you do spend carefully if you can get that many clubs for so little money. I just don't think that most players do themselves any favors by constantly switching out like that. Most people need to play the same thing for a period of time to develop any degree of consistency.

Not sure you understood what I said. I own several sets of irons (and woods and putters, etc) that I've purchased in the past 20 years and I rotate every few rounds just for kicks. My Burkes were $20 and don't forget, like a lot of people, golf is just one of my hobbies. For me, the search for a vintage set of sticks is as rewarding as shooting yet another 80.

Who cares what we shoot anyway? If I shoot my index do I win a prize?

Who cares what we shoot anyway? If I shoot my index do I win a prize?

I might... since about 30% of my play is some form of competition. As far as hobbies, I just extend my golf habit to include working as an on course rules official for the Colorado Golf Association. All that costs me is gas to and from the tournaments. This week is the state high school boys championships... looking forward to that.

Rick

Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!