IGNORED

Chambers Bay this coming saturday 10/16/10

Note: This thread is 4997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing my first round of links style golf this week, and I'm pretty excited. I've been practicing lots of low, wind-fighting shots at the range, and and feeling pretty good about it. Any tips for a links newbie? Maybe any secrets to the course?

I played Chambers a few weeks back. Course was in great shape. The greens were faster than I ever remember CB's greens being. Spend your warm up time on the practice green and stay out of the waste bunkers! The fairways are generous but if you stray you pay!

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

damn you! i'm jealous. i plan on playing that course soon, hopefully by year's end.

if any of you WA golfers are in need of an extra for a round on the weekend, hit me up. always looking for a group around here.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

Listen to your caddy. He'll say aim 30 yards right and you're like, no way! Way.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Listen to your caddy. He'll say aim 30 yards right and you're like, no way! Way.

I wish I had a caddy...But $90 for the green fees was plenty for me. I ended up having a blast, even though I played terribly. I had several shots that on any other golf course would have been great, but ended up rolling off into gullies or waste areas. The wind wasn't too bad today, either. Overall I would definitely recommend this course to anybody, the people who worked there are very professional, without being snotty or anything, they were pretty laid back and had good tips for our group, all of which were first timers to the course. I learned a lot about working with the terrain, and planning shots with your surroundings in mind, and not playing target golf. Another phenomenon we all noticed, was that we all had at least one really good missed shot. You can sometimes get away with murder when you top a shot, etc. and you get it to roll up the contours of the course right where you were aiming. The greens there are something else. They look pretty cruddy at first inspection, but roll pretty true. They also decline pinseeking shots.

Planning to play out there in January, if the weather cooperates. Kind of a tall order for Seattle in January, but I think I'm willing to put up with a fair amount of wetness since I'm unlikely to get out there again for a while...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

gonna try and play there from the tips next summer when my game is much better. If i shoot 79 from the tips next summer I'd say I have surpassed my goal. Trying to get to a 3 handicap by next May/June. 76.9/135. Yikessss. Probably plays much more difficult than that as well. I want to shoot 79 because my buddy shot 79 there at the U.S. Amateur. But the course was 200y longer at the U.S. Amateur. Those top amateurs truly have tremendous long games, as well as short games of course.

I'm quite excited to see the U.S. Open hosted there as well. Will be something to see with most of the young stars of this day having matured.

• 1 month later...
[QUOTE=xxsoultonesxx;541496. The greens there are something else. They look pretty cruddy at first inspection, but roll pretty true. They also decline pinseeking shots.[/QUOTE]

The greens look like that because of the grass.. it grows like that.. I am born and raisd iN Tacoma, and want to play that course bad.. I watched the US amateur tournament and they talked about how the grass grows like that..

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

We've got a tee time there set for Jan 15, so let's hope the weather gives us a chance!

In the bag:

We've got a tee time there set for Jan 15, so let's hope the weather gives us a chance!

That is ballsy! The great thing about Chambers, though, is the drainage, so even if it has been wet, it should play well. Bring rain gear!

• 1 month later...

Well, we played it.  The weather was pretty great, actually (especially compared to the constant rain we played through at Gold Mountain the day before).  Cool, no wind, and dry until about the 14th hole, maybe 15th.  The course was absolutely beautiful, by far the most impressive I've played.  I had a few good holes, made a couple pars and a few good shots, but being a bit out of practice and probably tired from the previous day's cold, wet slog led to a lot of awful shots (chunks and the like), so I won't be counting THAT round in my handicap.  Still, it was great fun, even if you might not have known from all the cursing I was doing under my breath.

The course is still growing, only being a few years old, but it should be a great site for the US Open in a few more.  It does have a lot of sand, though, so I hope they handle the crowds...

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 4997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!