IGNORED

Anyone else here hunt?

nhwoj
Note: This thread is 3039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

@cipher, what didn't you like about how it handled the coyote?

Let's face it, as much fear mongering as there is out there about these rifles, it is basically a .22 center fire distance rifle. I made a very good shot and to spare people the specifics, the bullet did not do what I think it should of and the Coyote traveled at least 60-70 yards which is too far and I would not feel good about using it for any larger game. So I am building one that I trust can handle large game humanely as well.

Yeah, I think I saw the hole in the shoulder. Something like a lever action 44 would have shocked it to death. Hollow points for sure.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/162#post_1091985"] 260? 7mm-08? Its harder to find a general round with low recoil. 220gr 30-06 is a little tough on squirrel and not all I would want for Grizzly.[/QUOTE] Yeah I think the 6.8 in an AR build is fine for me with recoil reduction.  I just never liked my 30-06 feather weight or my 30-30 for that factor.

LoL I scoff at the understanding of a sports hunter with a lightweight 30-06. The Garand made the round famous for accuracy as well as durability but the damned machine weighed 10+ lbs. I have a heavy barrell 308 savage that spins quarters at 100 because its so smooth but after half a season I left it in the closet because of the weight. I came to appreciate this after winning a steyr 30-06 in a raffle. That thing will bust your butt it is so light.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

LoL I scoff at the understanding of a sports hunter with a lightweight 30-06. The Garand made the round famous for accuracy as well as durability but the damned machine weighed 10+ lbs. I have a heavy barrell 308 savage that spins quarters at 100 because its so smooth but after half a season I left it in the closet because of the weight. I came to appreciate this after winning a steyr 30-06 in a raffle. That thing will bust your butt it is so light.

In my case the featherweight 30-06 was a gift. I would have not bought one myself.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

• 3 weeks later...

6.8 SPC II upper has arrived. I also have the BCG, a charging handle, replacement hand guard, and the lower receiver. Lower parts and furniture kit is coming in a week or two. I am going to try and film the build mid Jan in time lapse, for anyone who wants to see what a build is like condensed to a couple minutes hopefully.

Nate

I would be interested in watching the build.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I would be interested in watching the build.

It will look really fast in time lapse, but would be too boring otherwise.  I will show everything in the beginning and at the end with a photo or regular video.  I am in St.Thomas for the first week in Feb, so I will probably film this over the second week and post it here.

Nate

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/180#post_1097840"]   I would be interested in watching the build. [/QUOTE] It will look really fast in time lapse, but would be too boring otherwise.  I will show everything in the beginning and at the end with a photo or regular video.  I am in St.Thomas for the first week in Feb, so I will probably film this over the second week and post it here.

I am pretty sure you have to go to Alaska for 1 month if you travel to a tropical island during winter. Its for your own good.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I am pretty sure you have to go to Alaska for 1 month if you travel to a tropical island during winter. Its for your own good.

The hunting is great there!

Nate

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/180#post_1097908"] I am pretty sure you have to go to Alaska for 1 month if you travel to a tropical island during winter. Its for your own good.[/QUOTE] The hunting is great there!

Animals hunt you back there. I am sure in your case they would agree.

Tom R.

Cipher check out 68forums dot com if you haven't already. Dedicated to the 6.8 round

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

Cipher check out 68forums dot com if you haven't already. Dedicated to the 6.8 round

Cool thanks, I will do that. I have been checking out AR15.com, a bit so far. Too many members though there. :-)

Nate

Agree with the membership on arfcom, but lots of good info, just have to weed out the wannabees!

Best regards,  Frank

Agree with the membership on arfcom, but lots of good info, just have to weed out the wannabees!

Hehe yeah. Installed my coyote light tonight on the 5.56. Also did a little spidey paint fill on the spikes lower.

Nate

Nice! Next lower I get will either be a Spike's with maybe a .204 Ruger upper, or a Tactical Machining for something .308 based (or something that has the same case base as the .308). Thinking about a 6.4x47 Lapua, probably will convert a Remy 700 to that as the AR platform is hard on the brass and Lapua brass is not cheap!! The 6.8 is a Kotonics upper, 1 in 11 inch, SPC II chamber 4 groove rifling. The owner of Kotonics (no longer in business thanks to a vendor screw up) was one of the top developers of rifles that could use high pressure rounds developed by Silver State Armory (combat or tactical loads) with no excess pressure problems ( the 1/11 4groove rifling). Sits on an Anvil Arms lower I built. One of my favorites.........

Best regards,  Frank

I have a lot of reloading gear but do not really use it anymore. With these semi guns, do you even find the precision of custom reloads useful?

Tom R.

Nice! Next lower I get will either be a Spike's with maybe a .204 Ruger upper, or a Tactical Machining for something .308 based (or something that has the same case base as the .308). Thinking about a 6.4x47 Lapua, probably will convert a Remy 700 to that as the AR platform is hard on the brass and Lapua brass is not cheap!! The 6.8 is a Kotonics upper, 1 in 11 inch, SPC II chamber 4 groove rifling. The owner of Kotonics (no longer in business thanks to a vendor screw up) was one of the top developers of rifles that could use high pressure rounds developed by Silver State Armory (combat or tactical loads) with no excess pressure problems ( the 1/11 4groove rifling). Sits on an Anvil Arms lower I built. One of my favorites.........

The .204 looks fast. My brother has a 17 HMR in bolt action he is loving in the small caliber rounds. I like that .204 though as a center fire reliable round. Sounds cool. If I was to build a distance rifle it would probably be a 6.5 grendel, but it will be a long time before I build another rifle. A 300 blk with subsonic rounds and a suppressor would be fun as well. I have heard they are only reliable with pistol length gas though. Not sure what or when my next project will be. I might just save up and can the 6.8 for hunting, so my ears are not blown out. Your 6.8 sounds very nice. I would have liked to get a rifle length gas system but mid length is fine for the price it was listed for. Mine is 1 in 11 as well. I am very excited to hunt with it. [quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/180#post_1098309"]I have a lot of reloading gear but do not really use it anymore. With these semi guns, do you even find the precision of custom reloads useful?[/quote] I kind of doubt it, but am not sure. I use some Israeli stuff that I think is realoaded brass. It has been extremely reliable and accurate for me. Plus I find I am more accurate with the AR than with my old bolt action due to not worrying about and anticipating the ridiculous recoil.

Nate

One thing I learned hunting was smells can be a problem. I was thinking about this when reproofing my favorite winter rain hat this morning because my dad got black car grease all over it and it had to be cleaned. One smell that is quite natural in many woods is honey, or honeybee wax. Its stupid simple and keeps you both quiet and dry.

Tom R.

LPK is here! Build starts this week! A great short paper on the 6.8 and other AR rounds btw [URL=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BywaW5tio8wpckxCM2prSkJXS0k/edit]here[/URL].

Nate

Note: This thread is 3039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!