IGNORED

Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Driver

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After playing with this club for a few months I ended up taking a 1/2" off the handle. Since I changed the grip it went to D6 and after the cut it is now at D4 and 45" (originally 45.5" D5). So far so good. I still grip down slightly but not as much before (probably plays like 44.5") and play the ball just inside my heel. My best launch monitor numbers did not change (104 SS, 259 carry, just over 2750 spin with a 14-15 degree launch angle). At a recent scramble tournament I was able to measure 11 drives and averaged 255 off the tee with drives ranging from 240 to a 300 down-wind bomb. When the wind was in my face on the last 2 holes I was able to pull 250 both times. Overall, I am glad I got the Octane Tour as it was a step up and hope to get a few good years out of it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• 3 months later...

I'm revisiting this thread after a recent experience with a bag of rental clubs...

My wife and I were on vacation in Napa, CA and she convinced me that it would be silly to pay $50 to bring my clubs along as golf was not part of our vacation plans.  However, my uncle is a member at the Silverado Country Club in Napa, and he was itching to play the newly renovated North Course.

After new novel, massage appointment (both for wife) and $60 for a bag of rental clubs later I was at the range warming up.  The set included Diablo Edge irons (& hybrids) and an Octane driver and fairway.  I took a demo R11 from the pro shop for kicks as well, but should have left it in the clubhouse.  The Octane was a non-tour version (9.5 degree and stiff flex) and it was an absolute cannon.  Long, straight and high, all day long.  The head and Project X shaft felt great together, and I hit 9/9 fairways for the day with it.  The Diablo irons were a different story however.

If the Octane Tour is anything like this club (and hopefully better), I think I'll be playing my first Callaway in years soon.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

My grandpa bought one and loves it...he hits in the mid 80s and hes always buying new equipment.  He said he might keep this one for a couple years (which is a long time for him).

• 1 year later...
Hate to resurrect old threads... but... If you're a bit on budget and looking for a deal on this club, Rockbottomgolf has them today for $69.... Yes, that's SIXTY NINE dollars. Project X Octane shafts in various lofts. For that, I'll give it a try. oh, and yes, I know it's an older model. probably from 2010. But I did okay several years ago with a leftover R7 that I still use.
  • Upvote 1

Originally Posted by RayG

Hate to resurrect old threads... but... If you're a bit on budget and looking for a deal on this club, Rockbottomgolf has them today for $69.... Yes, that's SIXTY NINE dollars. Project X Octane shafts in various lofts. For that, I'll give it a try.

oh, and yes, I know it's an older model. probably from 2010. But I did okay several years ago with a leftover R7 that I still use.

Don't fool yourself, the R7 still lives in many players bags. The Tour head with the right shaft is extremely hard to part with.

Octane Tour for $69 is a steal. I still have yet to find a combo that can beat my numbers with it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Don't get me wrong- if this doesn't work, it's back to the R7. I had picked up a TM Burner '09 on a leftover deal. I tried it and wasn't happy at all. It went straight but it just didn't seem to "go". I first played it on a hot, sticky humid day in PA and chalked up the lack of 'pop' to the conditions. Several rounds later I gave up on it. I just felt that it wasn't giving me the distance that it could have. My friend gave it a go to try and replace his $30 Martin's golf shop clearance Driver. He seemed to like it, so I thought he would take it off my hands for a few bucks. Decided on keeping his clunker. Likely to go in the garage sale in a few weeks.

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!