IGNORED

2010 Golf Goals - Recap Your Year

iacas
Note: This thread is 4882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My primary goal was to break 90 and I accomplished this a number of times.  Also brought down my average score and handicap and had my first eagle.  All in all a good year.

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

1. Consistency off the tee

2. Putting

3. get below a 12 handicap.

Well I have accomplished all of my goals for 2010. I am now an 8.8 handicap, and was actually a 6.9 at one point this year. My off the tee average went from 237 yards (42% FIR) to 253 yards (52% FIR). My putting dropped from 34.5 to 32.1 putts per round (my GIR also increase from 24% to 32%).

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Re: Your 2010 Golf Goals Official Thread

1.) Get an official RCGA hdcp - haven't had one in over 10 years
1a.) Track my stats on line to see where I really need to improve
2.) Get more fit, stay healthy, and not get any worse at this game than I am now.
3.) Stop trying so hard on the putting greens - just let a good stroke happen - convert more birdie and eagle putts (stupid 3 putt pars and bogeys).
4.) Reduce penalty strokes by playing more long irons on tight par 5s - especially number 15 at Alberta Springs - 2-iron, 6-iron, wedge, and 2 putts equals   a 5.

1.) Did that.

1a.) Did for a few rounds. Penalty strokes and putting were the issue.

2.) Didn't get injured - yay me.

3.) I eventually got that right - 80% of the way through the season. Oh well.

4.) I did my best, but still had too many blowups for a 7.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Break 90 and never look back!

Well... Looks like I failed miserably... not only am I not shooting consistently in the 80s; I never broke 90, although I did shoot in the low 90s on some tough courses.  Oh well, looking back on it the year wasn't a total waste... I finally started take the game seriously only about 6 or so months ago and then had a 6 week lay-off after surgery.  On top of that I've made some good changes to my swing, joined a club and now practice more.  2011 should be a better year for me for sure...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Shindig

Playing Goals:

* Play. I went for a two month period - sadly, right after I posted in October about my 2009 goal successes/failures - where I played twice. When I got back, I found that my mechanics didn't fall too badly, but my score did. I need to play weekly, at the very least, to maintain some level of scoring touch, and I need to figure out a way to play more than once per week.

* Play better. I didn't improve much in 2009; I started as a 16.x and will be a 15.1 on January 1. I'd like to lose 6 strokes on the handicap in 2010. I realize the loss of strokes doesn't really fall linearly, but I'd like to be at most 14 by Mar 1, 13 by May 1, and so forth, ending the year with a handicap at most 9.

* Play longer. I've gained some distance this year, and I'd like to pick up more. There are holes that used to be out of reach for me (driver + 3 Wood) that I've now hit GIR driver + hybrid, without a significant helping wind. I'd love to enter the summer needing to re-shaft to S-flex. A 140-yard 7-iron is nice, but isn't quite what I imagine I can do.

* Working out. I stopped the gym the last month and a half, and boy did it cost me body-wise. I just didn't have the energy towards the end of the round, even if my distances didn't drop significantly. But I tried a friend's Wii fit a few days ago and failed out on the _breathing_ exercises! So I need to get back to working out.

* Eat better on the course. For all that I cook, I don't do much for interesting food on the course. I recently began bringing hard-boiled eggs to the course with me, to go with the bananas and Clif bars. I'd love to figure out more food to bring to the course that works for me.

* Play socially. I play as a single very often, matched into threesomes or other singles. I've played with some people I really enjoy playing with (including two from this forum), and I want to play with other folks I know more often. This is a vague goal.

Well, I haven't figured out yet how to break up quotes on the new system, so let's see:

* Play -- I played more or less continuously, until about October, when I took some time off, and I don't quite remember why.  Thankfully, joining a club has helped with this endeavor.

* Play better -- oh my goodness worse.  Early in Summer, I was convinced by a friend to try a different instructor to gain some distance.  I saw my swing shape get worse and my distance drop.   Thankfully, I got the B&P; text and have been hitting it straighter and back to some decent distance.

* Play longer -- see above.

* Working out -- more or less on track, except the past month.  I need to get back, and I will.

* Eat better on the course -- yep.  I've even begun making myself breakfast sandwiches for the mornings;  3 eggs and 3 strips of bacon on toasted bread.  When I do this, I don't take hard boiled eggs with me.  I still keep bananas and a clif bar for each round, plus water.

* Play socially -- success!  I've met many awesome golfers through my club.  I also played twice with a fellow sandtrapper, including what I think was his first time breaking 100 for 18 holes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:
1) Stay Focused...all shots
2) Practice short game 75% of practice time
3) Hit the Driving Range twice a week
4) Shoot low 80's consistantly.

1) I'm better but not there yet.

2) yes, at least 75% if not more.  I can tell the difference.

3) No, didn't do this at all.

4) Mid 80's to high 80's  not there yet.

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Fairway_CY

1. Have a round with less than 30 total putts... - This has been a running goal of mine since 2004. The best I've managed is 31 (three times) since then. I haven't played much in the past, but this season should be the most I have played in a single season since 2004, so... hopefully, that will help me reach that goal.

2. Win at least one net title and qualify for our club Players Championship at years end... - This is my first year with this club. I've been a member of a county course for the past few years and was runner up in the Club Championship last year. During August of last season, I had a run of five tournaments that I ended up a total of -24 during (net) and that helped to drop my handicap five strokes. I know my game is getting better and I HOPE that I can continue to improve and 'cash in' on that improvement during the upcoming season.

3. Finish my singles season with a match win total of seven or better... - Each tournament, we are also playing a match play event against an opponent in our foursome. In years past, I didn't do too poorly (4-4 in 2004 through 2005 and then 2-1 in the Club Championship last season after securing a bye during qualifying). My hope is that, in the thirteen or so matches I'll be playing this eason, I can win at least seven of those.

4. Find a more consistant swing... - My tempo is so up-and-down that I never really know WHICH golfer I'm going to be until I get to the course. My goal when on the range this season is to keep my tempo steady. I've realized it provides much more consistant results, especially with my driver. At the cost of distance (which I don't really have anyway)... I'll take the fairway over the woods any day.

5. Lower my handicap from the current 23.0 to 19.0 or better... - My handicap at the beginning of last season was 27.2 and at one point, I had it down to a 22.8 listing. I've got four high rounds (between 100 and 103) that will drop off of my calculation providing I don't shoot that high in each of my first nine rounds this season. That alone should drop my handicap by nearly 1.5 points and it can be more if I shoot better.

6. Shoot a new career best... - During my streak of good rounds last season, I managed to set a new career best of 91. My hope is to best that by at least two strokes and break 90 for the first time.

If, in the end, I reach #'s 1, 4 and 5... the others should follow suit. We'll see though. Practice time and playing time are going to increase for me this season, so... I'll cross my fingers that it pays off.

CY

1. Have a round with less than 30 total putts... - I didn't quite get there.  Best I did was 32 putts 4 different times.  2 of those rounds were among my worst scores of the season... which is telling me that when I'm playing well... my putting actually suffers some and I REALLY need to work on this aspect of my game.

2. Win at least one net title and qualify for our club Players Championship at years end... - I finished in first place in the third tournament of the season, but because I hadn't had an established handicap with the club yet... it didn't count as an official win, which kept me from qualifying for the Players Championship.  I came really close in the final qualifying event of the season as well... holding the lead until the last group came in and I was beat by 3 strokes.

3. Finish my singles season with a match win total of seven or better... - I finished 8-4-2 on the season which put me in a tie for 5th place.  I was really disappointed with how I finished.  I went through a stretch during the year where I tied, had to forfeit a match, tied again, completely bombed during the Club Championship, and then lost again before getting SOME of my game back.  Then, the last week of the regular season, I needed a win to extend my season into the playoffs... and I fell apart completely.  I did play in another meaningful match during the playoffs, but that was as a substitute and it didn't matter for me, only for my opponent, who I beat.

4. Find a more consistant swing... - I certainly did that.  I'm relatively happy with how my season turned out, as a whole... and it all started with a bunch of practice time on the range during the winter.  I grooved my swing to the point where topped shots made me angry instead of making me shrug my shoulders.  I only had 3 or 4 rounds during the season that really left me scratching my head.

5. Lower my handicap from the current 23.0 to 19.0 or better... - Check.  My current handicap is 16.7 right now... the lowest I've ever been.  I began the 2009 season (started in early August for me) with a 27.2 handicap and I've finished the 2010 season with a 16.7 handicap.  That's a total of 10.5 strokes off my handicap essentially since August of 2009.  Hopefully it continues that downward trend.

6. Shoot a new career best... - I didn't have any issues attaining this goal.  I shot rounds of 89, 88, 85, 89 and 87 throughout the year.  Those are nice rounds for me and I hope to be able to be around that range more consistently... but my new career best is the 85 (+13) that I shot in the middle of July, the round immediately prior to the collapse I mentioned above.

Overall... it was a pretty good season that I hope to follow up with an even better season in 2011.  I reached 4 out of the 6 goals I set prior to the season... that's not bad.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Originally Posted by IceDave

My only goal this season is this:

Stop being lost

Last season kept me in some balloon of lost-ness, i was constantly changing my setup looking for my lost balance, slowing my swing or speeding it up, relaxing and not relaxing, finding my groove just to loose it once more. I had my lowest round ever last summer and had some much wanted consistency, never shot over 87 which is a big leap but somehow I was lost. I would like that to stop this season, just keep my stance, play with a steady tempo, and give it a go. Hopefully I can reach this goal.

I made it!  The key I found out with 3 sessions with my club pro was all down to my setup and balance, my swing basically was sound.  I didn't start the summer guns blazing but when July came around I was Mr Consistency, carding sub 80 rounds with ease and having two 74 rounds this summer (nothing below that though, blame it on my short game and putting).  With my new found consistency I took my irons and wedges to a new level for me with checking or spinning for green shots.  All in all my most exciting and fullfilling golf summer to date.  Hope 2011 will bring more of the same.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Quote:
work on short game more, especially putting--uttexas

Well, my priorities changed--After reading the Stack and Tilt book I focused on changing my full swing.

I did read Stan Utley's Short game book again, and practiced the short game more by playing a par 3 course frequently.  Recently, I've been working on more float loading pitching style when playing the par 3 course.

To be honest, I neglected putting this year---but my putting improved significantly by having the ball closer to the hole.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I didn't really have any goals coming into this year, I just wanted to play, but i did achieve alot.  I came into to 2010 without every breaking 90, I broke 90 the sunday of the masters with an 81, I then went on and broke 80 with a 76, I won my first junior tournament,  I broke 80 in a tournament twice, I have shot even par on 9 holes twice this year, I got a hole in one on veterans day, and have lowered my handicap from something probably in the mid 20's to start the year to an 8 handicap to end the year.

Note: This thread is 4882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!