IGNORED

My Swing (Jack)

Jack
Note: This thread is 4768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my first attempt to record my swing so I hope I have done it right. I decided to brave the cold toay and went down to the practice field with my new Casio FC150. I took some swings with the 7iron and the driver... Here are the results,

I'd love to hear your thoughts and tips on how I can improve.

Thanks, Jack.

on your driver swing look at the 6 sec mark face on view your club is at 9 o clock but your shoulders havent moved but you are sliding your hips

work on rotating around your hips and not sliding through impact

take a beach ball or a basketball something that size and place it between your elbows and take a swing just rotating your arms and you should feel the loading of the hips

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

Thanks for the quick reply HAVOC.

The second point about rotating around the hips is just what my pro pointed out to me a few days ago and he has given me a few drills to help me with this. I'll take on board what you say about sliding the hips. I didn't realise I did this until looking at the swing on video! Feel is not real :(

• Administrator
work on rotating around your hips and not sliding through impact

Please don't do that, Jack. Here's "

why not "? I'd work on two things:
  1. Left knee on the backswing should feel that it moves more towards your left pinkie toe, not back towards your right pinkie toe.
  2. Rate of closure! Can't be easy to time that puppy!
Sorry this reply's so short. We're doing a lot of work here with the site behind the scenes... Good action overall. LOTS of good pieces.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Thanks for the tip on this. It was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the video. That left leg just looks plain ugly to me at the moment!
2. Not sure what rate of closure is but I'll do a search and come back and ask if I can't find out.

3. Sliding through impact, definately happy with the hips sliding and I've read quite a bit of the thread you posted previously. However, my head has, or maybe "had" (since I have worked a little on this) a tendancy to go with the hips and get infront of the ball at impact, causing me to push the ball out right. I think I should be aiming for a "reverse c" position rather than a / position? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks also for your reply, I appreciate that you are busy with all the fantastic work you put into the site. Cheers.

Rate of closure! Can't be easy to time that puppy!

Am I right in thinking that this will be a good drill to use?

My coach has got me doing a similar drill. Only he wants me to keep my right heel grounded to get the feeling of swinging in front of the body.

• Administrator
My coach has got me doing a similar drill. Only he wants me to keep my right heel grounded to get the feeling of swinging in front of the body.

See the Tiger footwork thread. Right heel down longer is fine. Right heel glued to the ground is bad and probably because he's trying to limit your slide.

You can do this drill, yes, and focus on feeling like the face stays pointing at the sky longer. Done properly you'll still hit draws.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 months later...

Here is an update of my swing. It's just a short clip with a PW but it does give some idea of what I am trying to achieve. I now think I need to work on getting a fuller shoulder turn and stop my head moving a few inches forward on the backswing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

looks good but you're flipping through impact. i try to feel like i'm pressing the ball into the ground with my right palm. your forward leg looks loads better in the backswing though. it seems as though you're sort of stopping your hips turning in the downswing just before you make contact, where as before they spun right around, i like that action better.

Looks so much better.  Good work.  Try  thrusting your pelvis forward more and extending your spine and right leg more going into impact.  These moves will enable you to extend more with the arms, thus limiting the flip move into impact.  Please post an updated DTL when you get the chance.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Hi Jack,

Swing is looking great in this clip. You have very good posture at setup. One recomendation I would make is that your weight is on your left foot/side(assuming your a right handed golfer) whilst still on your backswing resulting in a very slight reverse pivot. You should try to get your weight onto the rightside on the backswing and then initiate your downswing with a shift in weight to your left side.

Thanks

Will

Originally Posted by johninspain

Jack

Can i ask how did you film that in slow mo ??? i need to get some up !!!!!

he swung really, really slowly.

jk... you should have gotten a disc along with your recording device with software that allows you to manipulate playback speeds, etc. i know all the flips come with it, cause that's what mine is.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by William Bergin

Swing is looking great in this clip. You have very good posture at setup. One recomendation I would make is that your weight is on your left foot/side(assuming your a right handed golfer) whilst still on your backswing resulting in a very slight reverse pivot. You should try to get your weight onto the rightside on the backswing and then initiate your downswing with a shift in weight to your left side.

It's not really a reverse pivot. His head goes a little bit forward but his weight doesn't go back on the downswing. That's the key thing.

Jack, in this order (and not all at once):

#1 - see image. the rates are off - you "load" your arms (#4 and #1) too quickly relative to the rate your shoulders turn.

#2 - pull the handle down faster

#3 - slide the hips forward more and tuck the butt.

_1.jpg

Originally Posted by johninspain

Jack

Can i ask how did you film that in slow mo ??? i need to get some up !!!!!

I used a Casio FC150, which can shoot video at high speed. In this case I recorded at 240fps.

Originally Posted by iacas

It's not really a reverse pivot. His head goes a little bit forward but his weight doesn't go back on the downswing. That's the key thing.

Jack, in this order (and not all at once):

#1 - see image. the rates are off - you "load" your arms (#4 and #1) too quickly relative to the rate your shoulders turn.

#2 - pull the handle down faster

#3 - slide the hips forward more and tuck the butt.

Cheers iacas. I'll work on these things next. The image there makes it very clear what I need to achieve.

Note: This thread is 4768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!