IGNORED

Too much technology in Golf Equipments?

ronaldkuntoro
Note: This thread is 6152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it all technology that we can hit farther and straighter with new golf equipments? Do we want Golf to be like the Computer industry with a faster processor every three months? Maybe one day, Augusta will be will have a 1000 yards Par 4....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Good golf scores are still mostly dependent on the skills of the golfer, otherwise many more of us would play to scratch. I don't see any new paradigms which make up for golfers physical and mental limitations. People like Frank Thomas state we are already reaching the physical limits of ball improvement, driver size and cor limits are set. Probably there is room for improved shafts. Since golf is a game when enough people feel technology is negatively impacting the game then new rules can be put in place. I don't feel we are close to that level yet.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Good golf scores are still mostly dependent on the skills of the golfer, otherwise many more of us would play to scratch. I don't see any new paradigms which make up for golfers physical and mental limitations. People like Frank Thomas state we are already reaching the physical limits of ball improvement, driver size and cor limits are set. Probably there is room for improved shafts. Since golf is a game when enough people feel technology is negatively impacting the game then new rules can be put in place. I don't feel we are close to that level yet.

I would like to know if Tour players nowadays use the Wooden head woods/drivers. How far can they go off the tee ?

It will be fun if PGA creates a Vintage Tournament where players wear and use the 50s clothing and equipment. The Ben Hogan era....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Doesn't like american style courses much does he. I tend to agree though. In the summer courses are over watered in high heat im my area to keep them green. This leads to more problems long term from pests, fungus, and even bigger divot problems from the very soft turf.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Is it all technology that we can hit farther and straighter with new golf equipments? Do we want Golf to be like the Computer industry with a faster processor every three months? Maybe one day, Augusta will be will have a 1000 yards Par 4....

But can the average amateur hit it much further? According to the article below the average amateur driving distance has only improved about 12 yards since 1993. With amateurs driving 203 yards on average I don't think to many people will be worrying about playing a 1000 yard Par 4 too soon. For the most part new technology has helped make the game easier for amateurs rather than dramatically improving their length (a modern driver is much easier to hit than an old Persimmon?)

The improvement of professionals drives has as much to do with better preparation, better conditioning and better technique as it does better technology. Do any of the golfers from 15 years ago compare to Tiger Woods in terms of tchnique and conditioning? I'd also debate whether many of the claimed technology improvements really deliver that much in terms of improved play. For the most part they are really gimmicks cooked up by marketing men to convince us to part with yet more cash for another new driver. http://www.golfdigest.com/search/ind...rowinggap.html

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

I'd also debate whether many of the claimed technology improvements really deliver that much in terms of improved play. For the most part they are really gimmicks cooked up by marketing men to convince us to part with yet more cash for another new driver.

That last $300.00 driver must have really been a bust huh?.

I'd also debate whether many of the claimed technology improvements really deliver that much in terms of improved play. For the most part they are really gimmicks cooked up by marketing men to convince us to part with yet more cash for another new driver.

I agree with you Big Don.......

the only thing that has come of late that made it any easier has been the hybred wood irons..... much easier than a 2/3 iron.... as for the persimmon wood drivers..... I took out my 1965 driver the other day at the range... and it will still put them out 200yds+ no problem.... had to laugh, the guy behind me had never seen one he thought I my kid made it wood shop......lol
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

The thing I fail to understand is how a tour pro hits a bad shot.

Firstly there practise for, well i dont no how long but a long time

Secondally they have there equipment fitted exactly to them. For example the bounce on Tigers irons is measured to half a degree. This should mean that he should never hit a bad shot. Okay the odd one but he should not hit the ball so far offline that he has not second shot.

I love to watch the golf on TV but its becominga bit of a one man blast the ball as far as you can show

Who agrees??????
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

The thing I fail to understand is how a tour pro hits a bad shot.

As Dirty Harry would say " A mans got to know his limitations". Basically pros trying to shoot low scores try shots that are beyond their ablilty / skill. To far, to risky, especially out of bad lies. Just like we do.

I disagree......tiger has been hitting irons and 3 woods and if you think those guys are just hitting to the green, not so..... all of them whether there protecting a lead or just going for it... there course/shot mgmt is going through there head all the time... the other night did anyone see the golf channel had a demo challenge with Geoff Ogilvy, Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk, Mike Weir, hitting a variety of shots...it was amazing to see some of the shots they pulled off....tiger hit a draw shot that was like in the next fairway and came back....they are good. and with that said they are human too...so making a mistake now and then is only human... show me one pro in any sport that hasn't made a mistake from time to time and I'll show you a sport anyone can master....lol

SPONSORS......
PING

Good golf scores are still mostly dependent on the skills of the golfer, otherwise many more of us would play to scratch.

Absolutely correct! Regardless of "state of the art" equipment, it's the

player who must move a little white ball a little hole, many yards away. To put it another way, a scalpel in one's hand does not make one a surgeon.

Bag?
Titleist
975L-FE 8.5*
975F 14.5*
975F 18.5*DCI Gold 2-PW Vokey 200 60*Never CompromiseZ/1 Delta 2NXT Spheres

To put it another way, a scalpel in one's hand does not make one a surgeon.

best quote yet......well put......

SPONSORS......
PING

pro baseball doesn't allow aluminum bats for 1 reason... safety. the reaction time for an infielder would be unmanageable. a line drive would kill,literally. also the stadiums are too small for the distance they hit. Pro golfers only face the latter worry...courses that are too short...unless they make 'em unGodly tight. that's what technology CAN do, but the human aspect of the game of golf tells me that the Pros will still find themselves in trouble from time to time,given the best mankind can invent.....
I admire God given talent that has been tweaked to perfection, and by those still tweaking...I've seen some mighty fine "amatures".

..and I didn't see a racked buck in a week sittin' in a tree stand.... got cold tho....

Another tid bit here is that so much of the new tech is focused on forgiveness - making the clubs easier to hit for the masses.

Most of the tour pros ARE NOT using most of this new forgiving technology.

Ok, maybe they all are using the new drivers with MOI & size improvments, but how many of them are playing oversized, cavity back irons for forgiveness??

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

They did an experiment in regards to this a while back. Apparently, the ball matters more than the actual club you're using....

I can attest to this. You'd be surprised how far the new balls go using old equipment. On good solid strikes I hit my old Tony Penna 2-wood almost as far as my G5. The main problem was the sweet spot is about as big as a dime instead of a silver dollar. Sounds funny, too. More like a nasty spank than the metallic turbo "tink" we've gotten used to.

I'd be all for watching a vintage tournament. But I'm sure they'd have to dial back to courses a bit. No way anybody could score well on 7000 yards with old balls and clubs. Not humans at aleast.

It's not only the equipment that lets you hit further the course needs to be firm to hard to get maximum roll when the ball lands. The carry in the air is what you should be looking at for how far you hit the ball. A ball hit 220 and rolls 60 yrds is 280 on a hard fairway, hit the same shot on a soft fairway and you get maybe 225.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

..and I didn't see a racked buck in a week sittin' in a tree stand.... got cold tho....

One of my Sunday foursome said his daughter got a 12 point last week. She got it right between the hospital and the mall with the front end of her car!!!

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!