IGNORED

Come on David Duval!!!

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

t39 finish for Duval at The Open- well done. He just needs to keep his momentum going. He's earnt some much needed money this week and hopefully he can now progress nicely to keeping his tour card.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Duvall is a solid golfer, but from what I saw @ the open, he just doesn't have the mentality to bring himself back once he's hit some bad shots. He had his moments however after that atrocious 1st hole on the 3rd round where he sank a pretty lengthy birdie putt that was quite impressive. I just hope he can get back into it.

MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 8.5* Driver
MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW
Nike SV 56* SWNike SV 50* GWOdyssey 2ball PutterTitleist Pro V1x

73, 69, 71 . . . this may be the most surprising development of the Open. The 83 was the fly in the ointment, he lost his focus, but found it again and a 71 on the final day, that's some kind of playing.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

It's excellent playing, just too little too late. He needs to be able to get himself back on track in the same round that he starts to slip.

MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW

I'll give him props for his effort this week, however he has a long way to go.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

If you give every player a mulligan throw out round and only count their 3 best rounds you come up with:

Harrington -1
Poulter +2
Norman +2
Els +2
Furyck +3
Stenson +3
Duval +3

So Duval put 3 rounds together that places him in elite company tired for 3rd. That's huge progress, it's going to be very interesting the rest of the year to see what he can do. He has to stay away from disaster holes and that one terrible round . . . if he can he'll start making some $$.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

That's a pretty silly thing to do, then I could say, well if you gave everyone 3 mulligans, and took just their best rounds so-and-so would've shot this as his best. Wouldn't make any sense. The game is 4 rounds, that's how it's played. That's why it's not easy, because it's hard to play consistently well day in and day out. He's a great player, but if he wants to win matches he's going to need to play better consistently.

I'm really not trying to be an ass or anything, just running my mouth. It's not like I could get out there and even do half as well as what they are doing. I would've shot atleast 100 on the front 9. =\

MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW

David Duvall is a solid golfer, but from what I saw @ the open, he just doesn't have the mentality to bring himself back once he's hit some bad shots. He had his moments however after that atrocious 1st hole on the 3rd round where he sank a pretty lengthy birdie putt that was quite impressive. I just hope he can get back into it.

Duval does have the mentality as he has done it before- it is just a case of him finding it again. I would hope he can keep his card for next season and not visit the Nationwide and other inferior tours.

I agree with you, and I am taking David at his word. He says that he wants to "get back" and is working hard to achieve that. He knows that it is a slow, tough process, and some players---Ralph Guldahl, and more recently Bill Rogers, Chip Beck, Ian Baker-Finch never do come back. Some come back after injuries or slumps---Payne Stewart had off years in 1992-94, and then won in the 1995 Houston Open and of course, the AT&T; and the US Open in 1999. Trevor Immelman came back from two physical problems and won this year's Masters. Rocco Mediate's back problems almost ended his career, but he is back now. I wish David the best and hope he is like the latter group that made it back, and not like the former group, that did NOT.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Duval needs to step it up as he's only got 7 events (i read this) to keep his card for this year left. Can he make it?..yes, he just needs a win or several top 10 finishes.

It is NOT going to be easy, but at least he showed some of the "old David Duval" at Royal Birkdale. Now, he has to use that momentum to finish strong, or else..............do something else for a living.

I really hope he can get a win. I like watching him play and he seems like a good guy. I am too young to remember when he was in his prime, and 'at the top...' but I've heard stories about how good he really was...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I can tell you that he was brilliant and the only person ever to properly stare down Tiger Woods and beat him. A true world number 1. Vijay only made world number 1 because Tiger was having a 'swing rebuild' in that period.

I was also a fan of the Tommy Hilfiger apparel that Duval used to wear back in the days.

I can tell you that he was brilliant and the only person ever to properly stare down Tiger Woods and beat him. A true world number 1.

Funny smack.

Well, Billy Mayfair would beg to differ. And let's not forget the Showdown at Sherwood in '99. I'm not so quick to elevate Duval's relationship to Woods when it comes to his career accomplishments and, realize, Tiger was only 23-24 years old when Duval had his flash. Tiger had only scratched the surface of his greatness and David, while he had a great stretch, was short lived. While his 59 was great and his Open victory sweet, it pales in comparison to Woods and not exactly something to hang your hat on. IMO Woods and Duval don't belong in the same breath, save for a few week stretch where DD was ranked #1 some 9 years ago. I'm far from a Duval hater, but let's stay grounded here.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Funny smack.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Duval played just as well as Tiger at the Showdown at Sherwood, and would have beaten him but he got a really bad break. If I remember correctly, there was a HUGE ROCK in the middle of a fairway and David got stuck by it, and made a bogey or double bogey. I thought to myself, "He hit it straight down the middle and got penalized, and Tiger is spraying the ball, and wins." UNBELIEVABLE.

Tiger has never been the straightest off the tee. Remember his opening tee shot with a 5 metal at the Ryder Cup matches two years ago? It was an ugly, pull hook, into the River!! When he and Mike Weir were battling in the singles matches at Royal Montreal in the Presidents' Cup, Johnny Miller called it correctly, "Tiger has hit only 50% of his fairways, and if he is not careful, this could go in the lake that Weir just carried."-----------------SPLASH went Tiger's ball and Weir WON!!

Note: This thread is 5774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!