IGNORED

A Year of GEARS

iacas

I'm really looking forward to making a trip to Erie in 2023 to get on GEARS.  I know it will be time well spent....and fun to see how it all works.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, iacas said:

GEARS removes the doubt about whether I'm being truthful, about whether they "did it" or not, and quickly makes golfers aware of how extreme something often has to be to make the necessary change.

I love that about GEARS. It is a great reinforcement when you are working on nailing down a feel. 

The camera angles and positioning in GEARS is perfect. Perfectly down the line, perfectly face-on, perfect from any of the six views (above, below, rear, and from the target in addition to the traditional face-on/caddie and down-the-line). Because it's software, the camera can "move" to whatever the perfect angle with perfect alignment. And these perfect views exist for literally infinite camera views, I get any camera view I want. If I want to look at something, I can whip the camera around virtually, even while the avatar is swinging, and see whatever I want to see.

What I like about this is, it captures all of them for the same swing. Lets say you use a single video camera, you need to make 2-3 different swings to get the angles you want. When exaggerating something, you may not be the same every time. With GEARS, going from DTL, to FO, to maybe from the top down is really nice. 

This made me think of wanting to create some sort of attachment for my tripod, so maybe I can pull a string out straight so I can set up the alignment stick correctly ever time. 

I love that GEARS gives every student access to what they call the "web locker." The Web Locker contains six views of your swings (though annoying the down-the-line is from out at the ball) as short movie clips, a bunch of data, and screenshots I take during lessons are uploaded for viewing. This is how I often communicate the changes made and the things we worked on in a lesson — I "star" the swing and attach screenshots, and students can access them from home, for free, at any time.

This is super nice for the student. It is so convenient to be able to go to the range, pull up the web locker and review stuff as you go. 

At least for me, I like to imagine, making a mental image of my self making a type of motion. Being able to see a good version of what I want to do, I think is very beneficial. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I can hold a student's head, hold a club against their lead hip, move their knees around or hold a foot down, and so on.

I can vouch for this. I've been shoved, pushed, pulled and leaned on while on GEARS. The person doing the shoving, pushing, pulling and what not doesn't show up. It's almost like a green screen special affect in a movie. ... You know the ones where the people wear those totally green outfits so they can be digitally removed. Only with GEARs the person doesn't have to be removed. It's more like he was never there. 

It's also pretty amazing how you are getting every camera angle at the same time... (or camera angels as the case may be.) 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

I'm using the AlmostGolf balls more and more, and considering using them in regular lessons more too.

They have two main benefits, both while the golfer is still swinging at something that looks like a golf ball (because it basically is):

• The markers on the shaft in GEARS are far less likely to vibrate off from a mis-hit.
  • The golfer is more willing to make a bigger change because they won't feel the harsh vibrations or whatever from a mis-hit, a shank, etc.

I'm a big fan of hitting a lot of golf balls during a lesson, and even if people are going to make a rehearsal backswing, I like them to do that after they set up to a golf ball. It makes the rehearsal they'll do "more real."

The second bullet point above is the reason I'm considering using them more in regular lessons.

The Ultimate Off-Course Practice Golf Ball. Performs like a real golf ball, except one-third the distance. Neighborhood and backyard safe.

What do you think? If you showed up at a lesson, and the instructor gave you these balls, what would you be thinking?

Also, I encourage everyone to get a dozen (or more). I bought the 240-pack over Christmas.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's really cool to read all that. Smart people (you, AMG, and I'm sure a few others) digging into that system and the data it provides will no doubt improve instruction, but I'm sure teach us more about the swing in general. I had the thought that some day, there will probably be AI systems that can take GEARS data as input and "teach" a student. Maybe these already exist. Kind of like if something like Hack Motion's "teaching" functionality was analagous to, oh, tic tac toe, I'm envisioning a GEARS AI being like Spock's 3-D chess. I'm sure there are better metaphors......

Or maybe AI wouldn't work for golf teaching. I know practically nothing about both 🙂

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

It's really cool to read all that. Smart people (you, AMG, and I'm sure a few others) digging into that system and the data it provides will no doubt improve instruction, but I'm sure teach us more about the swing in general. I had the thought that some day, there will probably be AI systems that can take GEARS data as input and "teach" a student. Maybe these already exist. Kind of like if something like Hack Motion's "teaching" functionality was analagous to, oh, tic tac toe, I'm envisioning a GEARS AI being like Spock's 3-D chess. I'm sure there are better metaphors......

Or maybe AI wouldn't work for golf teaching. I know practically nothing about both 🙂

It could. Eventually.

It's there now if you want to teach only one swing model. It could even, if a competent developer was behind it, prioritize things and probably know what downstream effects of a single change would be.

But I don't think it's super close to being able to teach actual humans who have all sorts of history, capability, time to practice… etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

...prioritize things and probably know what downstream effects of a single change would be.

To me, one frustration with golf is you change one thing, which causes and improvement, and this triggers a change in something ELSE, which sometimes is NOT an improvement. I remember MANY times, in live lessons or watching videos or reading books - I'm talking golf teaching from say the 1970's through maybe 2000 - teachers saying "the trouble with golf is, people try to fix symptoms...they don't fix the CAUSE of the problems." Well, duh, I don't think anyone actually WANTS to fix a "symptom." They are always trying to identify and fix the cause. It's just that their understanding of causality was pretty bad in those days. 

The fact that GEARS data can possibly get a real, valid handle on the cause and effect chain is really exciting, because maybe some day, all golf teaching can properly isolate the real causes for every student. I realize it's more complicated than this, and I do accept that we already know alot, and improvement requires a ton of work that no amount of knowledge alone can replace. But teaching is already way better today than just a short time ago, just with the proliferation of conventional types of tech like video, force plates, etc., and the growth of golf's knowledge base in general. GEARS can only take it further. 

I've heard GEARS described as a "golf MRI." I think it's more than that, alot more. If scientists like Sacho and Kwon and Jacob's guy have figured out the structure of golf DNA, GEARS is like the development of nexgen sequencing, where we can take ANY golfer and isolate their own, unique swing DNA in an instant. (I realize GEARS does not calculate things like the force vectors that people like Sacho or Kwon study and depict in their systems, so it's not an exact analogy...but the point is, I think GEARS is a disruptive, leap of tech, not just a fancy new tool.)

Edited by Big Lex
  • Thumbs Up 1

JP Bouffard

As long as they provide some feedback I’m fine with using them. I will get a dozen for my indoor work. I have other foam balls, but they are kind of flimsy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

As long as they provide some feedback I’m fine with using them. I will get a dozen for my indoor work. I have other foam balls, but they are kind of flimsy.

Some. The biggest benefit is that they're much safer (due to their light weight) - you can hit it into a window and it likely won't do anything, etc. I demonstrate by whipping it at our main big windows.

• Informative 1

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm using the AlmostGolf balls more and more, and considering using them in regular lessons more too.

They have two main benefits, both while the golfer is still swinging at something that looks like a golf ball (because it basically is):

• The markers on the shaft in GEARS are far less likely to vibrate off from a mis-hit.
  • The golfer is more willing to make a bigger change because they won't feel the harsh vibrations or whatever from a mis-hit, a shank, etc.

I'm a big fan of hitting a lot of golf balls during a lesson, and even if people are going to make a rehearsal backswing, I like them to do that after they set up to a golf ball. It makes the rehearsal they'll do "more real."

The second bullet point above is the reason I'm considering using them more in regular lessons.

The Ultimate Off-Course Practice Golf Ball. Performs like a real golf ball, except one-third the distance. Neighborhood and backyard safe.

What do you think? If you showed up at a lesson, and the instructor gave you these balls, what would you be thinking?

Also, I encourage everyone to get a dozen (or more). I bought the 240-pack over Christmas.

I bought a dozen of these a few months ago. They are great for all th reasons you mentioned. They are not like the flimsy, sponge-nerf type balls. They have some firmness and while impact is soft, it still sort of feels like you are hitting a golf ball. The simulator (mine is based on a Uneekor launch monitor) also tracks them as well as a real golf ball. Of course they spin and launch differently than a real ball, but you can use them and still get (I think) reliable information about face angle, path, etc., with most of the launch monitor systems out there. I find that people who are beginners or otherwise kind of tentative about swinging a golf club and hitting a ball inside my house will more readily try it with these balls because they aren't afraid they will break something. 

JP Bouffard

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 6:51 PM, Big Lex said:

To me, one frustration with golf is you change one thing, which causes and improvement, and this triggers a change in something ELSE, which sometimes is NOT an improvement. I remember MANY times, in live lessons or watching videos or reading books - I'm talking golf teaching from say the 1970's through maybe 2000 - teachers saying "the trouble with golf is, people try to fix symptoms...they don't fix the CAUSE of the problems." Well, duh, I don't think anyone actually WANTS to fix a "symptom." They are always trying to identify and fix the cause. It's just that their understanding of causality was pretty bad in those days. 

The fact that GEARS data can possibly get a real, valid handle on the cause and effect chain is really exciting, because maybe some day, all golf teaching can properly isolate the real causes for every student. I realize it's more complicated than this, and I do accept that we already know alot, and improvement requires a ton of work that no amount of knowledge alone can replace. But teaching is already way better today than just a short time ago, just with the proliferation of conventional types of tech like video, force plates, etc., and the growth of golf's knowledge base in general. GEARS can only take it further. 

I've heard GEARS described as a "golf MRI." I think it's more than that, alot more. If scientists like Sacho and Kwon and Jacob's guy have figured out the structure of golf DNA, GEARS is like the development of nexgen sequencing, where we can take ANY golfer and isolate their own, unique swing DNA in an instant. (I realize GEARS does not calculate things like the force vectors that people like Sacho or Kwon study and depict in their systems, so it's not an exact analogy...but the point is, I think GEARS is a disruptive, leap of tech, not just a fancy new tool.)

I had another lesson on GEARs this past Friday. If anyone is on the fence of whether or not to try it, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. You see a lot of "what's really going on". 
My guess is one of the fears of using it is that you will see your faults. It reminds me a bit of when people start using a product like Arccos or Shotscope and hate it, because they don't really want to know how far they hit each club. GEARs is kind of like that. You can't hide a fault from GEARs because it can "see" you at every angle (or angel) at once. 

The other reason I think that people are reluctant is the same reason I hear people say that they don't want to take lessons. "You're going to compare me to a tour pro." ..."I'm not a tour pro." 

Of course you aren't. But there are lots of areas where comparing what tour pros do to what you do makes sense. If you have some true disabilities that puts you in another situation. But I am one of the least flexible and least coordinated people I know. I have no rhythm what so ever. Never-the-less, I can compare my swing to what Rory McIlroy does, and I can learn from that. GEARs can show me instantly if I'm heading in the right direction. 

In my last GEARs session as well as my other ones too. I can look and say, here's what you are doing. Here's what you want to be doing. Then I can "see" what I'm trying to achieve. Let me try this feel. Oh no, that doesn't work. How about this. Hey that gets me closer. When I get closer to where I want to be I hit better shots.... LO AND BEHOLD!  

It's also cool because you have a record of how far you've come. I can look back and see that I was nowhere near where I am now. Then I can look forward and say "Check that out, I'm kinda close there on that occasion. I need to do more of that." (what ever "that" is, it will be different for everyone.)  

Lastly, I've heard the stories and read the books about "finding YOUR true swing" and all of that. Which is all well and good. But why not have "your swing" be better? When I watch the little GEARs guy swing (You know the guy I'm talking about) I can still see "my swing". It is still as unique as a thumbprint. Now, its just a little better thumbprint with better, more consistent contact. 

If you've tried it, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't tried it. You should. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can look and say, here's what you are doing. Here's what you want to be doing. Then I can "see" what I'm trying to achieve. Let me try this feel. Oh no, that doesn't work. How about this. Hey that gets me closer.

I've said it before, but I think this is the biggest benefit to GEARS for me. It removes the ambiguity of communication. If @iacas is trying to get me to do something and I'm not doing it, is it because I'm not quite understanding what he wants me to do, or am I just doing it wrong? With GEARS it's like, see that number, X? Make it closer to Y instead. Then I go about exploring some feels, which for me feels less foreign because it's coming out of my brain.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, billchao said:

I've said it before, but I think this is the biggest benefit to GEARS for me. It removes the ambiguity of communication. If @iacas is trying to get me to do something and I'm not doing it, is it because I'm not quite understanding what he wants me to do, or am I just doing it wrong? With GEARS it's like, see that number, X? Make it closer to Y instead. Then I go about exploring some feels, which for me feels less foreign because it's coming out of my brain.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, this last week. Yoda's like "See how when we trace your movement it makes a line that is shaped like this... Make it shaped like this."

Then I can picture it. So I try one feel and it made it worse. Then I tried another feel and I went too far the other way. So, @iacas is like "Yeah, do that, but less of it." Then suddenly you get it right and you're like. "Oh, look. I can do it." The ability to make a good swing is in there. 

I think a lot of people would be surprised what they "can" actually do. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1