IGNORED

USA v's UK (Weather)

Sidders -8
Note: This thread is 6337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While sitting here at my desk watching it rain outside it got me thinking as to whether or not americans or any other nation come to that, put away their golf clubs over the winter months as so many british do. I am taking tomorrow off and if the weather is half decent i shall be out on the course which is getting quieter by the week now. Obviously the weather has a big effect on it but do you guys play all year round???

I'm a newbie, but I fully intend to play year-round whenever the weather's not too awful. Only thing is, my home course sits very low and stays wet a long time so it remains to be seen how much I actually get to play. The cold doesn't bother me, but if I can't take two steps without sliding in mud, I'd rather stay home or hit the range.

In Nebraska where I live you don't have much choice. December through February usually has snow on the ground and cold rarely above freezing during the day. November and March are sporadic. Those who can afford it vacation in warmer areas, Florida and Arizona are the most popular.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Here in New Hampshire we are at the mercy of the weather from about late October to mid April. So far, we have had a very nice fall - no snow except for the extreme north and relatively warm temperatures. So I am still playing and intend to play for as long as I can. The courses are empty and its really very pleasant. December, January and February are usually not playable up here, unless it warms up and there is no snow. March can be very snowy, or not, depending on the year. Main problem in the spring is the mud - spring is known as mud season up here.

If you live up here, best thing to do after you hang up the clubs is to break out the skis and enjoy the winter - and, make sure you get in at least one trip south.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

While sitting here at my desk watching it rain outside it got me thinking as to whether or not americans or any other nation come to that, put away their golf clubs over the winter months as so many british do. I am taking tomorrow off and if the weather is half decent i shall be out on the course which is getting quieter by the week now. Obviously the weather has a big effect on it but do you guys play all year round???

Its not that bad in "Blighty" over the winter. I lived in Canada for a while and there was snow on the ground from December through March. A bit of winter wind and light rain adds to the challenge?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Looks like we have it pretty good here in the UK then, interesting to hear what some of you guys have to put up with tho.
As a former boarder, (spent months at a time snowborading in the French Alps a few years back) i would be well up for hanging up the clubs for a couple of months if it meant getting in some piste time.
Yeah Yeah!

Looks like we have it pretty good here in the UK then, interesting to hear what some of you guys have to put up with tho.

I played with some skiiers last weekend. They said that they were skiing in the winter, and then playing golf in the summer.

Sometimes the thought of getting out of the nice warm bed/house when it's 4 degrees isn't too appealing. But when the sun is out, theres nothing like winter golf! Just put some layers on!
"There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad."

In the bag (click):
Cleveland HiBore 9.5°
Nike T60 17° Nike T60 21° Ping i5 (4-PW)Ping Tour 52°Ping Tour 56°Cleveland 588 Chrome 60°Yes! TracyMy Handicap Record

• 4 weeks later...
I live in Central California......you can play year round no problem. I get to play in the Scottsdale Arizona area about 4 weeks a year......it's really nice at the end of the summer.....or March/April/May. I love Arizona golfing....the dessert is really nice. Not to rub it in, but I'll be playing in Scottsdale for two weeks.....right after Chirstmas. Yeah baby!!

I think the biggest issue with winter golf in the UK is the lack of light (though of course we get the reverse benefits in summer). Inevitably it leads to too many people cramming onto the course in a limited time period, the end result being ridiculously slow rounds when light is at a premium!

That said, I've played pretty much every week this winter, which is a first, and only once have I been significantly rained on. Not bad really. I just wonder whether I'm going to see the benefits to my game come spring/summer.

• 3 weeks later...
In New Jersey, it usually snows between December and March (sometimes also in April!), so it is very impossible to play golf during winter.
When I used to be in San Francisco, I played all year around!!! I miss SF!
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Note: This thread is 6337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!