IGNORED

Favorite graphite shaft and why.

Note: This thread is 4871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm wondering what type of shafts, whether it be hybrid, fairway, or driver shafts people like the most, and why is that? I've never been fitted for a shaft other than a quick and dirty swing speed check to make sure I should be hitting the right flex. What brands, in particular are Sand Trapper's fond of?

I got a Cobra Speed LD  5 wood from a buddy of mine, and something just clicked with that club and I believe it is the shaft, which is a Graphite Design Tour AD YS shaft. It feels to me more like a "firm" flex than a true stiff, which is probably fine for me with my driver swing speed in the mid 90's to low 100's. I can work the ball with that club fairly well for some reason, and it just seems to produce a hearty ballflight, which isn't as consistent for me with other clubs.

What are your favorites, and why?

I don't agree with all this hype about shafts.

If your striking the ball well you'll get a good shot. A shaft won't magically make you hit it better. I know with the pro's they fine-tune their shafts for ideal height and spin, but I don't think most of us hit it long enough for the shafts to make a difference. I hate how people go on about different brands of shafts. If you get the flex and kick roughly the same there shouldn't be a huge difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Originally Posted by James_Black

I don't agree with all this hype about shafts.

If your striking the ball well you'll get a good shot. A shaft won't magically make you hit it better. I know with the pro's they fine-tune their shafts for ideal height and spin, but I don't think most of us hit it long enough for the shafts to make a difference. I hate how people go on about different brands of shafts. If you get the flex and kick roughly the same there shouldn't be a huge difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with you for the most part-I haven't used a particular brand of shaft that was noticeably "better" than others.  But flex, kick, tip stiffness, etc are relatively important, at least once you're striking the ball consistently.

I love the feel of my Matrix Ozik XCON - 6 which is in both my driver and three wood. I like the driver shafts a bit better as I feel I have more control of it, being the aftermarket version of the shaft, but the "feel" of the made for Titleist in my three wood is very similar. The dispersion with the driver is slightly tighter and the trajectory is perfect. Good shots launch very high.

I'm not sure of the XCON - 6 compares to other shafts in terms of stiffness but I have both shafts in S and have no problems with them being boardy or too stiff.

I'm still figuring out the whole shaft thing, but this video definitely taught me some useful stuff about the basics.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Big fan of the original UST ProForce Gold 65 shaft; 75g version is very good as well. Exceptional value and still a great shaft even in comparison with the latest so-called advances.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!