IGNORED

DIY shaft pulling/replacing

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweaky

make a spine finder and work on FLOing them, works for irons too!  youtube- "spine shaft FLO"

2 different things of course. You can't get a true FLO with any old rubber clamp and a vice.

i'll look into the spine issue and talk to the guy at the shop about it. I want it done right, the first time.

I've got a feeling he's gonna tell you to "Fuhgetaboutit!"

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Originally Posted by ronaldkuntoro

The 2 meter ruler, of course, for measuring the desired CLub length.

Don't EVER use a hacksaw to cut graphite shafts cause they will damage the  shaft.

2 Hours to build a golf club???  that's bit too long.......  should be just 20 minutes max and then you leave the epoxy to dry.

Even a 47" Club would be about 1.20m, to me, that would be quite enough.

It took me 2-3 hours to build my selfmade shaft puller, not the club...

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Hey man.  Just to put you at ease, it's not hard.  I started this year, and have done 4 sets of irons and about 4-5 woods with graphite shafts.  Only broke one graphite shaft, then I bought a puller, but the iron shafts do not require a puller.  All you need.....a spine finder off ebay, a drill chuck to attach to the end of the shaft to FLO it, a pipe cutter, epoxy (I always add shafting beads).  And, if you have an air compressor, get a air grip tool on ebay, and use regular masking tape, been doing this for a few months, and no issues.  Prepping is key to good results, like sanding the shaft tip, and cleaning with acetone or the like.  No worries, easier than people make it out to be.

Originally Posted by Longpar5

No worries, easier than people make it out to be.

FULL ACK!

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Originally Posted by Longpar5

Hey man.  Just to put you at ease, it's not hard.  I started this year, and have done 4 sets of irons and about 4-5 woods with graphite shafts.  Only broke one graphite shaft, then I bought a puller, but the iron shafts do not require a puller.  All you need.....a spine finder off ebay, a drill chuck to attach to the end of the shaft to FLO it, a pipe cutter, epoxy (I always add shafting beads).  And, if you have an air compressor, get a air grip tool on ebay, and use regular masking tape, been doing this for a few months, and no issues.  Prepping is key to good results, like sanding the shaft tip, and cleaning with acetone or the like.  No worries, easier than people make it out to be.

I see your from VA, i have family that lives in williamsburg. my pops and i played quite a few courses down that way when we went down a year ago. played horshoe, williamsburg cc, all the fords colony courses (my gpa is a resident so we got on for cheap) and finished up at kingsmill...just beautiful. the shafts and sticks are due in either today *crossed fingers* or tomorrow. if anyone wants, i could put a DIY scrapbook/step by step together if ppl are interested?

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, played Horshoe alot!  Actually won my flight there at a tournament when the golf channel am tour was the michelob ultra tour.  It's a good area for golf, but not so good in the winter

• 5 months later...

I have been reading up on spine finders and they look easy to build. I found a site called Clubmaker Online

that had some plans

1-1" PVC "T"

2-O.D. 1 3/8" X  I.D. 3/4" Radial bearings & 1-O.D. 1 1/8" X  I.D. 3/8" Radial bearing

the bearings are about $4.00 each and under a dollar for the PVC "T".  My hardware store also had precision bearings that were smoother but about $18.00 each I'm not sure if they would be worth the extra money.  I have also seen the bearings mounted in a longer PVC pipe as well around 6".

There are some on ebay that range from $25.00 to $75.00 some offer some pretty nice looking club building software too.

I wonder if anyone has some info on FLOing there is a good page on the Clubmaker site but I can't seem to find much about what kind of laser to use. I have found mini laser pointers but I think it would have to be something smaller that could mount on the end of the shaft. Any ideas on where to find lasers?

As long as you are going to build them yourself may as well go all the way and make them the best they can be. I have some heads that I want to reshaft as well I also need stiffer and longer shafts.

Here is the link about spines http://clubmaker-online.com/spines.html

it is very helpfull.

Buy one of those tip weights used when determining a shaft's frequency, have the end drilled to accept one of those small laser pointers, and presto! You now have a FLO laser.

I use a sheet of paper on the wall with a grid on it, my shaft vise on my golfworks shaft puller, and the tip weight with the laser pointer in it.

Those PVC spine finders will work fine for steel shafts, but be careful on graphite. The inner race can have a sharp enough edge to damage a graphite shaft. I got one of those 'No B.S.' spine finders off Ebay and it works really well. Uses eight pivoting bearings that won't ever damage a shaft.

FYI

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Not sure where the guy who built mine got it, but it's about 2" long, and maybe 3/8" in diameter? I've seen them like this, but can't remember where?

I don't think length matters, within reason. But it needs to be small enough in diameter so you don't have to drill/bore too much metal mass out of the end of the tip weight.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 1 month later...

I am not a master clubmaker but I have a growing part-time club repair business.  I’ve been using a manual club head puller and that was fine until I started pulling about five heads each week.  I started looking for a hydraulic puller solution.  I found a number of home-made solutions but was concerned about their home-made shaft clamps and durability.  I saw an ad for the BT Puller and it looked promising.  At $165 with a money back guarantee I decided to order one.   It was better than I expected.  Steel construction and a great shaft vise sealed the deal.  It is fast setup and easy to use.  If you want the best puller available buy this unit.

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!