IGNORED

R9 V. R11

bshack
Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a decision coming up next month...

I have a 5 year old driver and will be upgrading. Obviously reviews are out on the r11 however I know people have hit the r9 460 drivers.

I have demo'd both drivers and of course I like both of them. I feel like the 460 will be good enough however I can get a deal on both so my decisions seems tough.

Due to giftcards I can the r9 460 for 25 bucks and the r11 for 190...

What would "the sand trap" do ?

Also R9 users please leave your thoughts on your driver.

...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

Don't buy a TM driver new. They bring out new drivers so often, you're bound to get a better price in a few months. If you NEED a driver...you can get whatever you want since you've got a sizeable gift card.

I play the R9 460 and like it. A little loud at impact, but it does its bit. Hit it on a monitor first, because shaft stiffness with TM woods can be an issue.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I use the r9 460, and i like it for the most part. Like ohiolefty said, it is kind of loud. I hit it straight, but sometimes it feels "dead." It doesn't always feel that great at impact. I know i am hitting the sweet spot, so it's not that. It just doesn't seem to go as far as it should. My dads new Diablo Octane goes at least 15 or 20 yards farther every time. The only other complaint i have is that the stock shaft is a piece of crap. If you like the r11, i say go for it.

Bag: Callaway Org 14 Extreme Cart Bag
Driver: Taylormade R9 460 10.5
Woods: Nike SQ 3 Wood
Hybrids: Walter Hagen AWS 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Diablo Edge 4-AWWedges:Wedges: Cleveland CG12 56 and 60Putter: Nike Method 001:Ball: Bridgestone Tour B33-RX and Nike One Vapor

Go with the pretty white one!! Seriously though, the r11 does look good and the reviews are good also.

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

Originally Posted by bshack

I have a 5 year old driver and will be upgrading. Obviously reviews are out on the r11 however I know people have hit the r9 460 drivers.

I have demo'd both drivers and of course I like both of them. I feel like the 460 will be good enough however I can get a deal on both so my decisions seems tough.

Where did you demo the R11 at?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

I have never really played any drivers besides the taylormade brand. I dropped the r9 for a burner superfast because I feel like I get more distance and it feels better. I was using the 420cc version of the r9

Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick

Quote:

Where did you demo the R11 at?

I demo'd the R11 at the St. Louis Golf Expo over Jan 21st weekend. I got lucky they had all the new clubs up for demo even though they dont hit the shelves until next month. It is a lot more quiet than the 460 on the indoor range/monitor. It felt really good which makes me kinda upset. I was hoping that it wouldnt impress me so my decision would be easier. Now it will be hard.

To the other replies I thank you for the responses. I know as I was in retail TM loves to have a lot of models come out / sometimes even twice a year so not only the value decreases dramatically so do the previous year clubs. Im surprised the Aldila the club comes with sucks that bad and shocked that its really that much louder than some other golf models out there, specifically Nike and Ping.

BTW never have hit burner woods well, the elongated back of the head messes me up mentally in the head

bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

I haven't hit an R11.  I like my R9 460.  Last summer I had an R7 CGB and a gift card, one thing lead to another.  One of the things that intrigued me about the R9 was the ease of changing shafts with the screw off tips.  There is nothing wrong with my reg Reax 60 stock shaft, it plays a little softer than what I think of a regular.  That being said, I have a Fuji Speeder and a Aldila Proto standing in the corner waiting for some tips so I can swap out and experiment.  The R9 is no louder than my SMT and certainly not as loud as my Maltby.  It has a different sound than my friends '09 Burner, but I don't know if it's actually louder or just different.

I have yet to hit the R11, but I find that is aesthetically unpleasing to the eye. I liked the R9 Superdeep and the regular R9. The 460 to me felt empty and didn't have the greatest setup. I don't prefer the 460cc heads in any club really so I'm a bit biased. If you choose to do the R11 I would say you would get a much better deal in the middle of the summer, you can get a steal on a R9 now, and I don't think they would be any different. Taylormade puts out so many clubs it's sickening. I personally don't like the FT system, I think it makes you dink around too much unless you can hit the ball anyway you want. The adjustment is nice, however I feel too many people put the emphasis on their flights through the adjustments, instead of looking more at their own swing. That being said, I did buy a Titleist 910 D2 and put on A-2 for more draw and have not touched it since, and have no intention on doing so.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

Golf Galaxy opens at midnight tonight - first 10 people get $50 gift card - im going just to get that.

titleist.gif 910 D3 Driver 9.5* A2 Project 7C3  titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood 15* A2 Project 7C3
ping.gif i15 Hybrid 20* UST Axivcore Tour Stiff  ping.gif i15 Hybrid 23* UST Axivcore Tour Stiff
ping.gif i15 Irons 5-PW Dynamic Gold S300
vokey.gif Spin Milled Oil Can Wedges 50*, 54*, 60* Dynamic Gold Spinner
cameron.gif Newport 2 Studio Select 33" Putter  

Originally Posted by beamjb7917

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel0135

Golf Galaxy opens at midnight tonight - first 10 people get $50 gift card - im going just to get that.

Can only use the gift card towards R11 purchase

I bought my R11 at Golf Galaxy today and didn't have to use the gift card towards the purchase.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Hit the r11 again last night and ordered my r11 today and cant wait to put it in play. like you todd a white grip will be going on in within minutes.

It feels good and the rep I know lowered my price to 200 so I couldnt pass it up

bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

Hit the r11 again last night and ordered my r11 today and cant wait to put it in play. like you todd a white grip will be going on in within minutes.

It feels good and the rep I know lowered my price to 200 so I couldnt pass it up

$200 for a R11?  Great deal!  I need that deal lol

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

got trade the guy and their not making any money on it. Unfortunately I have to wait for the second taylor made shipment which is mid feb

bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

I hit the R11 and superfast 2.0 TP today. The 2.0 TP is way better than the non TP 2.0, the non TP one has the word burner or something right in the middle of the crown where as the TP doesnt have this and the headshape looked better. I really thought the TP 2.0 was less than 460cc but I looked it up and its 460cc, the TP 2.0 also has a weight port on the toe for a fade bias.

Hitting the R11 and 2.0 TP, I found I liked the R11 better, thought it would of been the other way around just by holding them. They both make different sounds when hit, the R11 has a higher pitched sound. Overall though, I dont think they are better than the supertri or the R9, if anything they perform the same. The only reason to get the new ones is for the color.

I currently have two original R9s and a SuperTri. I didn't think I could find a better driver than my R9 (Aldila RIP X 70). Then I bought the SuperTri. I love love love my SuperTri (Aldila RIP X 70). Just an awesome driver. Yesterday, I went and demo'd the R11 TP and the Burner Superfast TP 2.0. I ended up ordering the Burner Superfast 2.0 TP (Matrix Ozik HD6 X tipped 1"). In my opinion TM making a mistake with the packaging of the R11. R11 includes a 10gm and a 1gm weight and that's it. I think the 10gm weight was in the heel port. This differs from the R9 and R9 SuperTri in that there are three weights there and the standard config (I play this way) has the heavier weight in the middle port. So the weighting is equally distributed. In my opinion, with this R11 funky weight distribution I felt that the R11 driver was "fighting" with me thru impact. Why? I think that heel weight was trying to turn the club over too early. It was just a weird feeling and I didn't want to mess with the weights in store... Why do I think TM making a mistake? When regular people go to demo this driver in store they might feel this and decide the driver feels strange and not buy. If I were the product manager I would have put equal weights into the head and included a "weight kit" to come with the purchase so people could tinker as desired. I also bought an R11 (will put my Aldila shaft in it) so I can give it a good go against the SF TP 2.0. All in all... good stuff...

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

Relevant or not, I figured I would share...

Let me start off by saying I AM NOT a TaylorMade fan. In fact every TaylorMade club ive ever hit ive hated. Including the R9 TP irons… That being said: I tried a TaylorMade R9 TP "super deep" driver today. I didn't hit it in the store into a net, I actually got to hit it at a range. The thing was a consistent and straight rocket! Sounded crazy as hell too. I was surprised to say the least. I think the shaft may have had something to do with it, but overall it had nice powerful feel to it. It was the Aldilla RIP Stiff TaylorMade TP shaft specially made for TaylorMade. The head seems noticeably smaller than the other drivers (probably a TP trait) but was pretty easy to hit the sweet spot. I did notice it was a good 1-2 inches shorter than the other driver I was hitting (an Adams Fast 10) which I thought was interesting actually. What impressed me was the sound and the super straight (but kinda low) ball flight. The one I was hitting was a 9.5 degree and I was getting approx. 250 yards of carry on average. I think with a 10.5 I could have probably gotten 260-270 of carry which is pretty good if you ask me. Because with a good roll puts me at about 290-300 yards.

To sum it up this is THE ONLY TaylorMade driver I would consider for my bag… But for now Im sticking with my Ping G15…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!