IGNORED

64* wedge

Note: This thread is 4819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by adamgoodman   It'd probably be a bigger help to your game to find more versatile shots around the greens instead of manipulating your equipment.  Just my humble opinion.

Good comment.  It's too easy to think that you can just buy a new club, rather than making the effort to learn to use the ones you have.  Having watched some of the master shotmakers over the years (Chi Chi Rodriguez was one of the best at making clubs do things that others never even thought of), I like to exercise my imagination around the greens, rather than just emptying my wallet at the golf shop.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sean_miller

What's your current setup all about? Garage trashbag? Did you get robbed?

If it was my bag and I was starting over, I'd try to match the PW with the wedges, rather than the irons. I lean toward a 48, 54, 60 combo (matched set) or a 50, 55, 60.

That's just a bag I've been using lately in hopes of getting my game back in shape, I'll use it for weekday practice rounds. I don't know why I put it in my sig, I guess just to look cool.

But, yeah. I do plan on matching the PW to my wedge set.

Originally Posted by adamgoodman

I love my 60* wedge, and I can confidently claim to successfully hit flop shots.  Not sure if it'd be worth it to buy a 64* when you could just open the stance and club face like what's been mentioned.  It'd probably be a bigger help to your game to find more versatile shots around the greens instead of manipulating your equipment.  Just my humble opinion.

Why not focus on ball-striking so you wouldn't have as much of a need for the kind of shots that come with a 64* wedge?

It's not that I can't hit a variety of shots with my 60*, because I can. The whole idea behind the 64* is to be able to fly the ball closer to the hole around the green and have it stop quicker. I find this the easiest way for me to get up and down vs. having a shot release to the hole.

As for the ballstriking, i'm working on it. I would like to hit more greens, but obviously I'l never be hitting 100% and sooner or later I'll need to get up and down. But, by the way you say it it seems your assuming I'll be using it as a specailty club, using it only when I'm really short-sided or in a tight spot. This is not the case. I'd like this club to replace my 60*, using it for the majority of my greenside shots, just with a little more loft and spin on the shot.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Good comment.  It's too easy to think that you can just buy a new club, rather than making the effort to learn to use the ones you have.  Having watched some of the master shotmakers over the years (Chi Chi Rodriguez was one of the best at making clubs do things that others never even thought of), I like to exercise my imagination around the greens, rather than just emptying my wallet at the golf shop.

All good points, but this isn't an "I suck with my 60* and am going to try a 64* wedge" type of ordeal. I can use my 60* just fine, I'm great with it actually. Again, I'm just looking to be able to fly the ball closer to the hole with more spin. I can (and do) already hit shots like this with an open faced 60*, but would like to be able to do this with a square face, as I feel I will have better directional control that way. Keep in mind I'll also have the 56* if I'm looking for a little more rollout and the 48* which can be easily used for bump and run, so I think I'll have all of the shots covered. Just looking for any other suggestions of wedge setups that I'll consider.

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeTaylor

That's just a bag I've been using lately in hopes of getting my game back in shape, I'll use it for weekday practice rounds. I don't know why I put it in my sig, I guess just to look cool.

But, yeah. I do plan on matching the PW to my wedge set.

It's not that I can't hit a variety of shots with my 60*, because I can. The whole idea behind the 64* is to be able to fly the ball closer to the hole around the green and have it stop quicker. I find this the easiest way for me to get up and down vs. having a shot release to the hole.

As for the ballstriking, i'm working on it. I would like to hit more greens, but obviously I'l never be hitting 100% and sooner or later I'll need to get up and down. But, by the way you say it it seems your assuming I'll be using it as a specailty club, using it only when I'm really short-sided or in a tight spot. This is not the case. I'd like this club to replace my 60*, using it for the majority of my greenside shots, just with a little more loft and spin on the shot.

All good points, but this isn't an "I suck with my 60* and am going to try a 64* wedge" type of ordeal. I can use my 60* just fine, I'm great with it actually. Again, I'm just looking to be able to fly the ball closer to the hole with more spin. I can (and do) already hit shots like this with an open faced 60*, but would like to be able to do this with a square face, as I feel I will have better directional control that way. Keep in mind I'll also have the 56* if I'm looking for a little more rollout and the 48* which can be easily used for bump and run, so I think I'll have all of the shots covered. Just looking for any other suggestions of wedge setups that I'll consider.

It seems to me that you've already made up your mind.

After all this banter I've acutally decided not to go with the 64*. II spent all day at the practice green today with my 60* and I realized it is enough loft. Maybe it would be nice to have a little extra spin, but don't fix what aint broke.

Still replacing my wedges, though. My close friend showed up in the middle of my session today with a brand new xFT 60* (what a pleasant suprise!) and he let me use it. I really liked it. It played very similar to my Z TP wedges and has the ability to exchange the grooves.

I'll be picking these up in 50.06* (which I will have bent to 48* as my pitching wedge), 56.12* and either 60.06* or a 60/10* with a c-grind sole.

So here is my question. Which 60* should I go with? I'm a hard digger with my wedges and make divots the size of the grand canyon, so I know the 60.10* will work better for me on full shots. I'm worried about the greenside shots though, as I rarely hit a full 60*. The 6* is already a low bounce, but the 10* has a c-grind so the leading edge won't sit so high when opening the face. So the big question is: which wedge will have more effective bounce when the face is opened, the 60.06* or the 60.10*?

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

actually the higher the loft, the more the ball will ride up the face. it will be a bit more slick and to be honest is really only good out of trouble situations. hence why phil bent a 60* eye 2 to 64* to get more bite(before they outlawed the eye 2's of course). grab a 60* or a 58* and practice, a lot more shots will open up to you and you will save some room for an extra long iron, fwy wood, or hybrid at the top of the bag.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeTaylor

After all this banter I've acutally decided not to go with the 64*. II spent all day at the practice green today with my 60* and I realized it is enough loft. Maybe it would be nice to have a little extra spin, but don't fix what aint broke.

Still replacing my wedges, though. My close friend showed up in the middle of my session today with a brand new xFT 60* (what a pleasant suprise!) and he let me use it. I really liked it. It played very similar to my Z TP wedges and has the ability to exchange the grooves.

I'll be picking these up in 50.06* (which I will have bent to 48* as my pitching wedge), 56.12* and either 60.06* or a 60/10* with a c-grind sole.

So here is my question. Which 60* should I go with? I'm a hard digger with my wedges and make divots the size of the grand canyon, so I know the 60.10* will work better for me on full shots. I'm worried about the greenside shots though, as I rarely hit a full 60*. The 6* is already a low bounce, but the 10* has a c-grind so the leading edge won't sit so high when opening the face. So the big question is: which wedge will have more effective bounce when the face is opened, the 60.06* or the 60.10*?

I'd go with the 60/10 c grind - but look at the heel and toe grind on it. If there is relief, it should be fine when opening as long as the sole is not too wide. But if you canyon your divots, I hope it's after you hit the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!