IGNORED

Expensive putters, are they worth it

bigbear43
Note: This thread is 4735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you can putt with it, you might want to pay for it.

Mitch Wayne

RBZ 9.5* or  910 D2 9.5* |  910F 15* Fairway Wood |  910H 19* Hybrid titleist.gif 710 CB 4-9 Irons | vokey.gif Wedges (48,52,56,60) |  California Monterey 2012 or  Studio Newport 2 |  Pro V1 Golf Ball |

To me, its all about the feel and address. I am not sure if this was said or not yet (because I did not want to read all 4 pages of reply’s) but, its all about how you like the ball coming off the face as well as the address to the ball when you are looking down at it.

I play a #1 Odyssey White Ice ($130). Super soft feel when the ball comes off. Love how it looks at address..  I love it!

I went to the PGA Superstore to get my irons re-griped so I had some waiting time. I was messing around with the putters and thought one of my buddies told me to look into a Scotty ($299)... I started putting with it. I did not like it at all. But that’s just me. I thought it was a little hard/firm coming off the face. And as I said before its all about the feel to me.

Go to your golf store and put with ALL the putters to find out which one you like the best. Thats the only way you are going to find out. Find out what’s most important to you... Is it feel? Is it address? What feels most comfortable to you?

Actually, cheap or expensive is not the only measure for you to buy putters. Somtimes fake putters also sale as expensive as stores.  Before pay for your putter, you can ask some questions and then decide if it really worth the money! I bought my white ice core putter at golfclubgate, it only $129.99, but very helpful.

Many people have been stating to choose the putter that suits you most regardless of price. Good advice but it assumes money is no object. I'll be honest and say that I think buying the most expensive putters is a complete waste of money unless you are going on scratch.

Putting a number on it is difficult but if you buy the best putter you can for 150 usd and then replaced it with one at 800 usd I doubt that would improve your handicap by more than a fraction of a stroke.

People will play golf for years, even decades and not get down to a low handicap and consequently, they will probably drop 2-3 strokes putting per round- at least- due to defective technique rather than the implement itself.

The truth is in the 150 usd range there will be a putter amongst all the putters ever produced- old or new- that performs 99.9% as well as a putter in the $250-$800 range.

The only people who might want to push the boat out, spending a large amount for a fractional improvement would be expert golfers where ever edge is required.

At present I sport a Ping Anser Isopur 2i and I'm not sure I really like the insert although I do like the head design. Is it my ideal putter- no- but I'm not going to be replacing it because honestly I can't say that it costs me shots.

Note: This thread is 4735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!