IGNORED

Metal Vs. Wood?

six_overpar
Note: This thread is 6983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It may just be me but...
Does anyone else finding it extremely annoying to hear Johnny Miller or an other commentater use the term 3 metal instead of 3 wood or fairway metal instead of fairway wood?

Using the term metal makes it sound like some kind of surgical insturment...
"scalpel,scalpel, Clamp, clamp, 3 metal, 3 metal."

I mean come on. We know it ismade of metal. We call Grape Nuts, Grape Nuts even though it does not have grapes or nuts. I thought one of the pillars about the great game golf was tradition.

"3 metal" lol - yes it grates me too

I'd rather here cleek,spoon or baffy than metal 3 or whatever.

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

To be fair alot of the commentators cannot be as thick or antiquated as they appear.Alot of what they say is what i call "TV talk" designed to appeal to EVERYONE watching.Some of the explanations,descriptions etc are laid out so that all can understand.Its surely so that it encourages and promotes potential new golfers to take up or have a go at the game.....

Other things,like when they say "He placed his drive there to give him a good angle in..." - this after the player has just missed the last green by 40 yards with a 6 iron !

Or "he aimed for that bunker" - how the heck do they know what he planned or actually wanted.Assumption maybe,fact - only the player will ever truthfully know.

All im saying is some of the commentary is quite frankly crap and they'd do better to keep quiet if they've got nothing better to say,some of it is to appeal to ALL viewers and to "hype-up" the game of golf
(rightly so) ,some of it is assumption and gestimation and sure alot of it is good solid fact based commentary.Take some of it with a pinch of salt......

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

• Administrator
I don't mind the "3-metal" comments. They are more accurate, after all, and perhaps less confusing to newbies.

But really that goes along with the rest of my life: I try not to worry about things like that. How do they really affect your day? They are what they are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does anyone else finding it extremely annoying to hear Johnny Miller

You could have ended your sentence just like that.(see above)

In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

Note: This thread is 6983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!