IGNORED

Let singles through please!!!!!

jcard71
Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I goto the course as a single probably 90% of the time I play.  I prefer to get paired up but that doesn't always happen since I play twilight quite a bit.  I get super frustrated when people don't let me play through.  I probably shouldn't get as frustrated, but after two holes of me being up there ass on every shot, rushing off greens trying to catch them on the next teebox, etc...it gets pretty annoying.  I'm pretty good at playing through as I do it often.  I try to do it on a par 3, tee off with them, rush ahead, finish on the green before their pulling their putters out and I'm usually halfway down the next fairway before they're off the previous green.

I find that generally if you show a sense of urgency and look as though you will be out of their way quickly, most people are polite enough to let me play through.  Same goes when I'm in a group and there is a single coming up behind us.  I don't like feeling pushed so I always let faster players/groups through ASAP.  And if there isn't an opening yet, I'm usually polite enough to let them know that I do recognize they are faster and as soon as there is a good spot, we'll let them through.  That usually calms them down.

I don't like to play alone, personally, even though I often go to the course as a single.  I will do my best to link up with another group.  If I'm playing in a group and a single comes up behind us we would certainly let him through if the course is open.  If we are playing in a twosome or threesome on a crowded course, then we would invite him to join us.  If I knew that there was a short group ahead of my fourball, then I would let him play through to join up with them.

The irritation with singles comes from a not uncommon attitude that they somehow think that they have the right to play through as many groups as they can no matter how busy the course is.  I have had this happen in the past when a single comes up behind us and the course isn't open, but he still expects to play through.  Not only does he think we're going to let him through, but every group ahead of us is supposed to do it too.  Sorry Charlie, but it ain't gonna happen.  There is no entitlement just because you choose to play alone.  All that does is slow down the entire flow as he impedes the progress of each group he plays through.

Everyone needs to use his head on this issue, evaluate the situation and do what the course load allows.  I know that sometimes I'm in the starter booth when the course is fully loaded, but for whatever reason I happen to have one completely open tee time.  If a single comes up to the window I will tell him that I can get him out, but he needs to understand that the course will be full ahead of him, so he has to know that he won't be playing through anyone and he won't be seeing any 2 hour round.  I never send out a single under those circumstances if I can pair him up with someone else, and I never send out a twosome if I can mate them up with another twosome.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The irritation with singles comes from a not uncommon attitude that they somehow think that they have the right to play through as many groups as they can no matter how busy the course is.  I have had this happen in the past when a single comes up behind us and the course isn't open, but he still expects to play through.  Not only does he think we're going to let him through, but every group ahead of us is supposed to do it too.  Sorry Charlie, but it ain't gonna happen.  There is no entitlement just because you choose to play alone.  All that does is slow down the entire flow as he impedes the progress of each group he plays through.

Chose to play alone?  I highly doubt any starter would put a guy on the course as a single if the course is packed.  If it's packed, then most likely that tee time would have booked full as well.

I don't think it slows play by that much if it's done properly.

Originally Posted by iSlice Left

Chose to play alone?  I highly doubt any starter would put a guy on the course as a single if the course is packed.  If it's packed, then most likely that tee time would have booked full as well.

Believe me, it happens.  I've been a starter for 4 years and I've had cancellations dead in the middle of a packed Saturday.  If I have only have one single waiting to play then he gets the slot, with the warning that he's going to be waiting a lot.  Hopefully the cancellation comes early enough that I can fill it with other walk-ons or call-ins, but that isn't always the case.  Whoever is there when the tee time comes up plays.

Rick

I nearly always go golfing alone... I'd say nine times out of ten I get paired up with somebody because the course is busy or whatever but there is the occasional time that I'm out there by myself. During these times, if I catch a group and they have space in front of them, I think that they should let me play through.  However, if there is just another group ahead of them and I really wouldn't get anywhere anyways then it really doesn't matter.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Sounds like an invitation to have bottleneck and frustration within a couple hours. Who cares if a single show up and a group cancelled? Just send the following group out earlier, or leave that bit of the course open. Tee times aren't like trains leaving the station that will be separated by that block of time troughout the entire trip. Groups catch up to each other and get separated here and there during a round all the time. That empty spot will be a breath of fresh air to the group ahead not playing in front of a singleton.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Sounds like an invitation to have bottleneck and frustration within a couple hours. Who cares if a single show up and a group cancelled? Just send the following group out earlier, or leave that bit of the course open. Tee times aren't like trains leaving the station that will be separated by that block of time troughout the entire trip. Groups catch up to each other and get separated here and there during a round all the time. That empty spot will be a breath of fresh air to the group ahead not playing in front of a singleton.

So are you saying the single should be sent home and not allowed on the course?

So are you saying the single should be sent home and not allowed on the course?

Are you saying that if a person shows up at a busy course, and one group has cancelled at the last minute, the single should expect to get that tee time? Maybe it's a regional thing, but I don't recall ever having seen this practice.

I suppose if there was more than one single waiting, and the time became avalailable with enough notice to get everyone to the first tee, I could see it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Are you saying that if a person shows up at a busy course, and one group has cancelled at the last minute, the single should expect to get that tee time? Maybe it's a regional thing, but I don't recall ever having seen this practice.

I suppose if there was more than one single waiting, and the time became avalailable with enough notice to get everyone to the first tee, I could see it.

We may be talking about two different things...I book as a single all the time at many different courses.  If I show up and the other 3 people (whoever they might be) don't show...you can be sure I expect to get out on the course.

Now if I just showed up at a course without a tee time, I may not expect them to put me out as a single in that situation.

Yes...the single would get that spot and probably be paired with the other singles waiting to play.  At 'muni' courses it's called a 'walk-on policy'.  If the entire other group is there, then you can send them out.  However, usually the other group is hitting balls / putting / eating, whatever, because their tee-time is in another 8-12 minutes.  If you can make the walk-ons happy, then send them out as a group or a single if you have too.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Single should have been allowed through in that instance.

Expanding on the topic, I applaud those that enjoy playing as a single.  I personally hate it.  If i'm solo for the day, I'd rather spend it at the range.

We may be talking about two different things...I book as a single all the time at many different courses.  If I show up and the other 3 people (whoever they might be) don't show...you can be sure I expect to get out on the course.

Now if I just showed up at a course without a tee time, I may not expect them to put me out as a single in that situation.

We were, and I agree.

Originally Posted by jcard71

Are you sure you werent in LA yesterday? :-)

Okay, let me clarify. I always asked to be paired up, always. I don't enjoy playing alone and if I catch up to someone, i always ask if I can join them. In this case there was nobody on the course, nobody in fron of these idiots and they obviously couldn't be bothered to let me through although I would have never held them up.

I also don't care if I get blasted for this, but IMO, it happens more when I run into the HACKS that have no course etiquette.

I just want to point out in my experience, the hacks have poor etiquette because they never learned correct etiquette.   i try to give people the benefit of the doubt and will ask if i can pass on the next tee rather then get upset that they aren't letting me through.   i think rookie players would rather people played through then have the pressure of them always waiting on them.

with that being said though, some people really tune out when they play have have zero manners on the course.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

If the course lets you off as a single, it ain't that busy on the course.  And if it's not that busy there is absolutely no reason not to let the single player through.  I've played as a single many times, when the course is reasonably busy I usually end up pairing up with another twosome or threesome at some point.  If it's not busy I'm usually let through, but there has still been a bunch of times that I've had to skip a hole and drive past some oblivious group.  When a course isn't busy it's entirely possible for singles to play a round in 2 1/2 hours, while twosomes go through in 3 or 3 1/2 hours, and groups of four get through in the normal 4 to 4 1/2-and all that is required is a little courtesy.  The argument "I have no sympathy for singles" is some kind of insecure sour grapes.

I guarantee that if that happened to me I'd never show up at that course again.  I have just as much right to an open tee time as anyone else.  Why should the course sacrifice the income from even a single tee time?  You seem to have a very hazy idea of what it takes to make money from a golf course.  You certainly don't make money by turning golfers away.

And yes, the tee sheet IS like a train schedule.  Each group must play from the first tee as scheduled.  A cancellation doesn't automatically mean that the next "train" is ready to play.  And leaving a gap does nothing for pace of play.

Rick

A thread like this reveals this simple truth: a lot of people are clueless about the game.

Without etiquette this is not a gentlemen's game. Without uncommon courtesy it is no longer the game that has garnished the respect of so many for so long. One might as well just go play some pick up basketball at the local ymca or go to their local Walmart and be an ignorant cart jockey.

It is true that many people do not know much about the game and the golf courses would serve the game well to make it a point to teach obvious novices basic etiquette (signs on carts, walking paths, instructions on scorecards or friendly reminders from the starter). You can't fault people for not having had the opportunity to learn, but you can fault them for being ignorant and disinterested in learning.

Then their are the jerks who grab their clubs, a 12 pack, don't fix their ball marks, don't rake the bunkers, and play the foot wedge when they are in trouble. Their failures is systemic and rooted in their character. I wouldn't be surprised that they don't care about anyone else, the game, the course, etc... and they are certainly not concerned about holding up other groups.

Lastly, there are those who have the proverbial chip on their shoulder, and even though they know about the etiquette of the game, they think they should get a pass on it for one asinine reason or another. Maybe their mom didn't breast feed them long enough. Maybe life has dealt them a bad hand. Maybe they have pms.  Who knows?

But, think about it. Which group should get our greatest scorn? I think the last one. They intentionally ignore what they know to be right and good for the game and disrespect other players. I wonder, would they treat someone they knew with this kind of contempt? Or, is it just reserved for players that they don't know?

You see, real players know that it isn't about accommodating a faster group or an individual. It's about honoring the game and standing in the good company of all those who have helped it become what it is today.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Old1964

Without etiquette this is not a gentlemen's game. Without uncommon courtesy it is no longer the game that has garnished the respect of so many for so long. One might as well just go play some pick up basketball at the local ymca or go to their local Walmart and be an ignorant cart jockey.

[...]

It is true that many people do not know much about the game and the golf courses would serve the game well to make it a point to teach obvious novices basic etiquette have helped it become what it is today.

Actually, this raises an important point: if you just sit around bitching when someone displays poor etiquette or doesn't follow generally accepted good practices, you are part of the problem.  Part of etiquette and courtesy is (or should be) presuming good intentions on the part of others and helping them to learn and avoid mistakes.  It's not just the job of golf courses, it's part of your responsibility as part of the golfing community.

However, your comments about basketball and Walmart are out of place, unnecessary, and particularly ironic in a post advocating etiquette, gentlemanly behavior, and courtesy.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

There's no reason not to let a faster group of players, regardless of number, through unless the whole course is jammed and there's no way to go. If someone's a single and it's slow...you might as well invite them to join, even if you're a foursome. At least, for the single, they'll get to hit their shots in a more normal rhythym once each whole 'starts'.

I know that some folks, like me, aren't as irritated by waiting to hit tee shots as they are for approach shots. For a lot of people, once they hit their drive and the whole 'starts', they want to play in a normal to brisk manner.

• Upvote 1

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!