IGNORED

Let singles through please!!!!!

jcard71
Note: This thread is 3108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I am surprised how many, and how often , people play as a single.  I guess golf is almost as much a social event for me.  I enjoy the time with friends.

Reminds me of a time earlier this year when I couldn't find anyone to play with one Saturday.  I really wanted to play to play my new irons.  I told my wife I was going to go on over by myself....she looked at me like I was nuts and didn't think I was serious...

Part regional and part situational.  Since I changed jobs (~10 years ago) all my regular golf buds have scattered. There are a lot of good players here, but they're members at a course I don't play too often and they never invite me anyway (sour grapes). Oh well.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

+1

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

I'm going to disagree with you on this one.  If there's space in between you and the next group and you have a single behind you, why not let them play through.  Now if there's no space, then just grit and bear...in fact, I tend to pair up with another group if there's a 2 or 3 some nearby.  I consider it common courtesy.

I team up with other singles and doubles all the time...especially when the course is backing up.  I do not expect parties of 2-4 to keep the pace of a single, but it's nice when everyone is good with playing through on a course that isn't crowded.  It's seems to be just another common sense etiquette thing.  To not do otherwise, puts someone in the passive/aggressive idiot category.  You all know those people.  They cruise 65 mph in the left lane on the interstate because that's the speed limit and nobody is entitled to go faster so F$#^& those who want to pass.  Then they finally get to the golf course, take up two parking spots because "other" people don't know how to park and might ding their door, and then don't let singles pass through on an empty course.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

It's already been said but as a person that often plays as a single I wanted to chime in.  What's the attitude towards singles?  My gosh, we are out there to play just like anyone else and I thought this was a gentleman's game.  Etiquette is etiquette regardless of the size of the group.  When I play as a single I always go early in the morning (usually first tee time) so I can get around without this problem, but when that isn't possible I have always been asked to join a 2 or 3-some or been permitted to play through a 4-some.  No one gets pissy or has an axe to grind becasue I have the audacity to play as a single (god forbid).   I don't get the problem...am I missing something?

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

I don't get the problem...am I missing something?

The problem is that a single expects to be able to play through regardless of the course being backed up or whatever.

No problem if the course is wide open.  But if everyone is waiting why should the single be allowed to leapfrog through every group in front of him just because he will be playing faster.

Now remember.  A single can be considered as just practicing.  He can't enter scores for handicap can he?

Originally Posted by camper6

I don't get the problem...am I missing something?

The problem is that a single expects to be able to play through regardless of the course being backed up or whatever.

No problem if the course is wide open.  But if everyone is waiting why should the single be allowed to leapfrog through every group in front of him just because he will be playing faster.

Now remember.  A single can be considered as just practicing.  He can't enter scores for handicap can he?

Nope, the problem is that people expect that singles expect to want to play through and many of them then deliberately don't allow them to whether the course is open or not.

As a primarily solo player the only thing I'd like to see, but frequently don't is groups who have an open course ahead of them offering a solo to play through, e.g. you arrive at the next tee as they're finishing their tee shots and the hole ahead of them is completely clear.

To be frank, the handicap argument above is just an excuse to allow yourself to feel fine with blocking a solo. You've convinced yourself that because a solo can't enter a scorecard, e.g. for a  handicap he's only practicing and therefore he can wait. Effectively to you his game is less important even though he too has paid his green fees and is playing the game as he sees fit.

Solo is not more important than group.

Group is not more important than solo.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Maybe it is a you problem.  I doubt it is a British thing and it certainly isn't a public course thing.  I play public courses and go out as a single nearly every time and haven't come across these things that you are describing.  Perhaps I am just way more laid back than you and don't let silly things bother me.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Just bad luck for me then I guess.

I've been paired with people being impatient (complaining because I often take two back-to-back practice swings directly before my full swing) I've been grouped with people who find it neccessary to mock and joke about every shot that isn't perfect, I've been paired with people who don't like the fact that I prefer to wheel a trolley and they carry, I've been paired with people who have really bad etiquette, stand on the tee box in my peripheral view, talk to other people while I'm taking shots, walk on my putting line, give advice when none is wanted and insist on continuing to do so even when told not to etc, I've been paired with people who mock your equipment and people who disagree with whetever your handicap is, even if you come in with a rubbish Stableford score.

I play golf to enjoy the game and unfortunately other people generally take that enjoyment away so I'd rather limit my play to those I know I enjoy playing with and just myself.

Maybe it's a British thing or playing on public courses.

Saying that however I did meet a very friendly guy a couple of weeks ago when checking out a potential club to join. He was friendly, happy, amicable, went out of his way to show me the facilities and said he really hopes I like it and that he'll see me on weekend roll-ups so I do know there are the odd diamonds in the rough out there.

I agree with many of you.  Singles are in no way entitled to pass through every group on the course.

If you choose to go out alone, you wait.  Plain and simple.  I have no problem letting an occassional 1 pass, but don't expect it if we are playing at pace.

I go out a lot after work as a 1 and I expect to wait my turns....

RBZ 9.5 Stiff

R11 14.0 Stiff

Superfast 18.0 3 hybrid Stiff

MP-52 4-PW - Stiff, full cord Golf Pride grips

Studio Select, Newport 2.5

ProV1x #5-8

Originally Posted by shades9323

Maybe it is a you problem.  I doubt it is a British thing and it certainly isn't a public course thing.  I play public courses and go out as a single nearly every time and haven't come across these things that you are describing.  Perhaps I am just way more laid back than you and don't let silly things bother me.

Mmmm the sweet smell of arrogance; my favourite!

How can you presume that because you yourself haven't experienced these things (playing on a different type of course in a different country in a clearly different golf environment and with people who have drastically different dispositions I might add!) that I won't have and then swiftly follow it up with a belittling comment about them being "silly things"?

Don't presume that just because you're "laid back" about etiquette and how people act on a golf course that everyone else is.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I am willing to bet that are only a few out there that have the experiences that you have. Different type of course? You said you play on public courses and I play on public courses. How are they different?

Different country yes, however I don't believe Brits are as rude and failing at etiquette as you make them out to be, while American golfers are angels.

We are both playing on public courses, so we are playing in similar environments.  And I doubt that British golfers have "drastically" different dispositions than American golfers.

You have encountered a disproportionate amount issues on the golf course.  More than any other person I have ever seen. At some point is has to be a you problem.

I am not presuming.  I am basing my observations on playing golf on public courses(mostly as a single) for the past 26 years.

Defensive much?

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Mmmm the sweet smell of arrogance; my favourite!

How can you presume that because you yourself haven't experienced these things (playing on a different type of course in a different country in a clearly different golf environment and with people who have drastically different dispositions I might add!) that I won't have and then swiftly follow it up with a belittling comment about them being "silly things"?

Don't presume that just because you're "laid back" about etiquette and how people act on a golf course that everyone else is.

It is becoming more clear why some people either play by themselves, or have problems with people they play with

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by shades9323

I am willing to bet that are only a few out there that have the experiences that you have. Different type of course? You said you play on public courses and I play on public courses. How are they different?

Different country yes, however I don't believe Brits are as rude and failing at etiquette as you make them out to be, while American golfers are angels.

We are both playing on public courses, so we are playing in similar environments.  And I doubt that British golfers have "drastically" different dispositions than American golfers.

You have encountered a disproportionate amount issues on the golf course.  More than any other person I have ever seen. At some point is has to be a you problem.

I am not presuming.  I am basing my observations on playing golf on public courses(mostly as a single) for the past 26 years.

Defensive much?

lol. You created a post basically belittling my opinion and my own experiences, whether they be disproportionate or not and effectively said that I'm the problem, not others. It's no wonder I'm being defensive now is it?

To be honest it's pretty much irrelevant whether it's the norm or it's unlikely to happen like that, the fact remains that it HAS happened like that to me and no amount of "well it hasn't happened to me" is going to change that.

I'm actually really not even sure what you were trying to achieve with the initial reply you posted except to get a rise out of me, which you succeeded in doing.

There's a public course I've played near my father in law's house and it's filled with working class men who play golf and drink beer for 18 holes. The fairways are shoddy, the greens are crap and it's cheap to play. There's a public course near me which is normally filled with middle class men who play golf for golf's enjoyment rather than to combine it with getting drunk. The fairways are better but not great, the greens are amazing and it's twice the price of the other one. They are different types of course.

British people in general have drastically different dispositions to Americans. Neither one is better or worse, they're just different. Why would American and British golfers not also have different dispositions?

Don't bother answering the above; I'm done with this conversation and indeed the hijacking of this thread.

SWING DNA

Originally Posted by Clambake

I couldn't agree less with both of you.   I'm not arguing or trying to claim you're wrong or anything, but I really enjoy playing as a single and meeting interesting new people on the course.    Over the years I've developed some fun golf partners locally, met people visiting from out of state and country and learned about their home areas, played with people from many different industries and businesses and learned about those as well.   I've payed with some great players and we had some spirited competitive games, and played with some people out to just knock a ball around on a nice day.   I've made some good friends and some good business contacts.     I've probably had less than 5% be anything less than enjoyable and interesting, and to me that is one of the great pleasures in playing golf:  an opportunity to spend some quality time with some interesting and fun people from around the world drawn together by a common love of the game.

On this one I couldn't agree with you more!   It just seems so simple.

Well apparently I missed the part about not liking other people lol. Because I also enjoy playing with some strangers but definitely not all of them. I was agreeing more on the part of letting other groups through no matter how many players there happens to be in each group!

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

I play as a single 99% of the time.  To me it is poor etiquette to play through (even when invited) as long as the group ahead of me is keeping a good pace.  Why should I interrupt their pace of play and rhythm?  I go around if I want to keep going and there are open holes.

Originally Posted by camper6 .

Under the handicap system in the U.S., yes they can.

Bill

Originally Posted by andycook

I play as a single 99% of the time.  To me it is poor etiquette to play through (even when invited) as long as the group ahead of me is keeping a good pace.  Why should I interrupt their pace of play and rhythm?  I go around if I want to keep going and there are open holes.

Playing around them is better etiquette than accepting an offer to play through?

This is a troll post, right?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by andycook

To each their own I guess but the people inviting you to play through may feel less interrupted with you ahead of them than behind. I certainly would rather wait once for a few minutes tops to let a single play through rather than feel rushed multiple times with the single behind my foursome (even if we are keeping good pace)

Sean had an issue with the person who said they prefer to skip the hole rather than play through when offered. He seemed to feel that that was improper etiquette. My response to that is, why would it be? The only difference to the group you're playing through/past is they get to start playing again sooner. (Instead of waiting for you to finish the hole they're on, you're already on the next one.)  I'll do this sometimes myself, particularly if I don't have a career round going so don't feel I have to play every hole, and want to be nice and get out of their way faster.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

To each their own I guess but the people inviting you to play through may feel less interrupted with you ahead of them than behind. I certainly would rather wait once for a few minutes tops to let a single play through rather than feel rushed multiple times with the single behind my foursome (even if we are keeping good pace)

Agreed - that's why if I'm ok staying behind a group, I'll make sure to do everything I can not to rush them (hit a lot of practice putts on the last green, or otherwise take my time so that they've hit their second shots before I go to the next tee.)

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Why wouldn't it be? The only difference to the group you're playing through/past is they get to start playing again sooner. (Instead of waiting for you to finish the hole they're on, you're already on the next one.)  I'll do this sometimes myself, particularly if I don't have a career round going so don't feel I have to play every hole, and want to be nice and get out of their way faster.

If you do it around these parts (play around without asking), you'd better be out of range when they get to the tee. Just sayin'.

Note: This thread is 3108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!