• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clombardi

Nike Vr Pro combo irons

7 posts in this topic

has anyone hit the Nike Vr Pro combo irons? I like the way Nike set this up with the cavity back, split back and blade. Im looking to get some new irons soon so any feedback is good

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

I found a brand new Niki cavity back 2i at Golfsmith last week for 75 bux! So I got it and all I can say is "wow". If the other cavity backs are as easy to hit as the 2i then I think Niki really has something. If I were to go to all Niki irons I'd keep the 2i cavity back, 3 & 4 irons would be split cavity back and mb's 5-pw.

Nikies almost feel as good as my beloved Mizuno's.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are the v-rev grooves? I noticed that Callaway has the same thing in their new Razr X Forged (I play the 09 X Forged).

My next set of irons could likely be the VR Pro Blades, VR Pro Combos or the Razr R Forged and all feature more grooves packed tightly.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the V-rev grooves are from last year and non conforming, but I'm not positive on that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My review of the Pro Combos just went up today, so I'd recommend checking that out: http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/nike_victory_red_vr_pro_combo_irons_review

Originally Posted by Blades4me

I found a brand new Niki cavity back 2i at Golfsmith last week for 75 bux! So I got it and all I can say is "wow". If the other cavity backs are as easy to hit as the 2i then I think Niki really has something. If I were to go to all Niki irons I'd keep the 2i cavity back, 3 & 4 irons would be split cavity back and mb's 5-pw.

Nikies almost feel as good as my beloved Mizuno's.

I haven't hit the 2 iron-it doesn't come with the set-but I'm actually tempted to get one. The long irons are that easy to hit.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

How are the v-rev grooves? I noticed that Callaway has the same thing in their new Razr X Forged (I play the 09 X Forged).

My next set of irons could likely be the VR Pro Blades, VR Pro Combos or the Razr R Forged and all feature more grooves packed tightly.

The grooves in the Pro Combos are Nike's new X3X grooves, not the V-Revs. They, like the new Callaway grooves, are more narrow more tightly packed, and therefore there are more grooves on the face. Like I say in the review, these are no gimmick. I tested them out on a simulator against my Mizuno MP 57s, which have non-conforming grooves, and the spin rates were nearly identical.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Quote:

The grooves in the Pro Combos are Nike's new X3X grooves, not the V-Revs. They, like the new Callaway grooves, are more narrow more tightly packed, and therefore there are more grooves on the face. Like I say in the review, these are no gimmick. I tested them out on a simulator against my Mizuno MP 57s, which have non-conforming grooves, and the spin rates were nearly identical.



Aaah. There's the beef. I just had the nomenclature wrong. I've gotta hit both, once I get to that point, to feel the difference in the head. I'll stay with the PX Flighted shaft though, regardless of the iron I choose. I feel like the Razr X Forged have a longer blade length now, too. That might be my eyes misleading me.

Jamo - you haven't hit the Pro Combos or the blades on grass and/or on a green yet, have you?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by ohiolefty

Aaah. There's the beef. I just had the nomenclature wrong. I've gotta hit both, once I get to that point, to feel the difference in the head. I'll stay with the PX Flighted shaft though, regardless of the iron I choose. I feel like the Razr X Forged have a longer blade length now, too. That might be my eyes misleading me.

Jamo - you haven't hit the Pro Combos or the blades on grass and/or on a green yet, have you?


I did briefly, but it was on dormant grass and the ground was frozen, so I couldn't use a simulator to get spin rates or anything like that outside, however I can tell you that there is nothing out of the ordinary about these clubs when hitting from different sorts of lies. From what I could tell the spin was as good with my Mizunos (just like when I tried it indoor) on grass, but I tend to generate a lot of spin anyway, and I didn't get to measure it. In the review I included a video about the grooves from Nike, where they spray water on the ball and the spin rates were still pretty good. Obviously you have to take that with a grain of salt. I would have loved to have tried that, but I doubt the staff at the indoor range would have been happy with me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Ready golf except in match play. Match play is different. 
    • Yep! I have both a FJ jacket and pants in rainwear that I bought years ago. I don't use them very often so they've lasted a long time. But, they're heavy and hot! They were made before GoreTex and other waterproof, breathable fabrics. My advice? Get the absolute best you can afford! They will last you a long time, they will keep you comfortable, they will be light, and they won't impede your swing very much.
    • Thanks for all the responses. I think this boils down to the context of the situation. I had two of the foursome busting chops about hitting out of order on previous holes. Then the first time it was mildly inconvenient for them to wait, the holed out just as i hit the green. Mind you.  This wasnt an "adventure" hole.. I hit the green on stroke 5 because of a flub shot that went about 10 ft. And an errant approach that left me about 10 yards short of the green. In any other case I agree that its perfectly fine to hit when ready, but not if you complain about hitting out of order. I guess to paint the picture, one whipped a club on the 3rd hole due to sculling a shout out of the bunker.. on another hole had one of them walking towards green right in front of my approach.. he nicely moved about 3 yards to the right as i asked him to move. As karma would have it, i hit the shot straight at him and nearly hit him.. these were friends of mine.. so a lesson learned to play golf with different friends..
    • Picked one up and checked it out in a store the other day. First thing I noticed about it was how heavy it was. Reminded me of when I went out for the HS golf team, and the coach had a Driver with a solid steel head on it. He advised us that we were NOT to hit drives with it! It was for warm up only. Being as heavy as it is, I think the main benefit to it might be that it slows your transition from backswing to downswing. There's a whole lot of guys who could use that!
    • OK, this kind of clears things up for me. I thought you might have been trying to take close ups of clubheads impacting golf balls. In that case you'd need something numbering in the several thousands of fps! If all you need is to look at swings I'd say anything the budget allows should suffice. Consider the 960fps system mentioned. If a golf swing takes about I second, at a playback rate of 30fps, that gives you a swing video of 32 seconds in length. Plenty long enough to see the golfer's bodily motions. Considering how small the clubhead will appear when videoing the entire golfer, I don't know that fps is the main consideration. It could be pixel count and the quality of the lenses. This reminds me of my "audiophile" days when cassette tapes were all the rage. I had a BIC deck that could record at 7 1/2 ips (inches per second), and an Audiovox car player that could play back at that speed. The sound quality was amazing! You were putting the same amount of info into twice as much space! There was so much more room!
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (33 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (45 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (51 years old)
    4. Weluvgolf
      Weluvgolf
      (53 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon