IGNORED

mp 53 vs 58

Note: This thread is 4422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys

Looking to get some new irons for my upcoming season. I pretty much narrowed it down to the 53s vs the 58s, was playing to a 9 handicap this past season so I feel like I can hit either or and I know the answers are going to be go out and hit them both and go from there. I plan on doing that within a week or so. Just wanted to hear some other opinions if you guys have hit them which ones did you go for.

thanks

I don't have any wisdom for you, just wanted to say it will be fun hitting both and trying to decide. Best part though is no matter which you choose you will have a nice set of irons. Win - Win.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

I don't have any wisdom for you, just wanted to say it will be fun hitting both and trying to decide. Best part though is no matter which you choose you will have a nice set of irons. Win - Win.

I agree with The Road Dog. I have the 58's and love them, but the 53's were a close 3rd to the AP710's.

My encouragement - make sure you pay special attention to the shafts. They make all the difference in the world.

In any case, grab your checkbook and fall in love

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Hit them both with different shafts and let the clubs make the decision for you. Mizuno has an awesome fitting system that lets you hit the clubs with different shafts. I'd give you my feelings on the 2, but they may be biased. Love the 58's!

What's in my sunmountain.gif C-130 Bag:
callaway.gif -Razr X Black irons

RBZ 3 Hybrid

-Burner 2.0 3 wood

- Burner Driver 9.5*

SCOR Golf- 41* 45* 49* 53* 57* wedges

odyssey.gif White Ice 2 Ball Putter

-Pro V1X balls

I would do yourself a favor and hit the JPX 800 PRO irons at that same time...I am a 7.7 handicap and consistent ball striking is my constant challenge and for me I found the JPX 800 PRO iron a great mix of Mizuno buttery feel and but with forgiveness on those days when I am struggling...believe me I could swing the MP 58 irons (as many of my friends tried to talk me into them) but I could not argue with results...how I tested irons (MP58, AP2_710 & JPX 800 Pro) was as follows as I think this process helps get you in the right sticks:

Get the clubs set up to as close as possible to your specs...obviously

Hit on mulitple days (do not hit only one day because if your swing is in the slot that day you might as well buy the MP 68 irons because when a single digit is swinging well they can hit pretty much any iron)...remember this is a game of managing your misses...

Anyway more specifically I would hit them for two days in a row...then I would sit out a day...then go back and hit them for two more days...what I found was that one of those days my swing was not in the slot and the true forgiveness showed up in distance control (which to me is the most important thing as it relates to forgiveness)...meaning if you come from the inside...get stuck...and don't get out of the way so you can release your hands you are going to hit a shank "no matter which club you have in your hand"...that is not what I am talking about...what I am talking about is when you know you did not put a good move on it and you still had enough to get on the green...that is were scoring is important and where the right iron can make a real difference.

PS  Charles Howell III tested the entire Mizuno line upon signing with Mizuno and he has the JPX 800 pro in his bag...maybe for the same reason I do???

WITB_Howell1.jpg

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I bought the MP 58s a year ago with the intent of playing a lot more and growing into the clubs (I'm an 11). I love the irons when I'm striking the ball well, but if I had it to do all over again, I would get a more forgiving iron in a heartbeat. I've lost confidence - mishits come off the face weak. Then again, it's user error, so if you're consistent, you'll love them.

iGuy is right - I almost bought the JPX pros - they are a nice club.

And, I do think it is a shame that a lot of times people seem to select clubs based on how they think the clubs will enhance their "cool factor" when people see the glimmering chrome in the bag.

I was stunned when I found out how many professional players use clubs that are definitely not blades. On any given day, I would gladly trade their handicap for mine

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Old1964

iGuy is right - I almost bought the JPX pros - they are a nice club.

And, I do think it is a shame that a lot of times people seem to select clubs based on how they think the clubs will enhance their "cool factor" when people see the glimmering chrome in the bag.

I was stunned when I found out how many professional players use clubs that are definitely not blades. On any given day, I would gladly trade their handicap for mine

Thanks "Old1964" for the kudos but iGuy right?  Heck that hardly ever happens...well if you listen to my wife... ...LOL

Anyway I feel I was right choosing the JPX 800 Pro irons for me and my game but the OP has to figure that out for themself.  Because there are many reasons why people are single digit handicaps...me personally because I have a decent short game and my swing gets in the slot enough times a month (or every other month) to keep my handicap under 10...but at the end of the day I am very inconsistent when it comes to ball striking (even though I practice as much as I can) because I have a full time job...Example is that my last ten scores are as follows:  84, 79, 88, 83, 87, 89, 79, 89, 85, 86 ...needless to say my handciap is creeping up but the JPX irons went into the bag four rounds ago when I shot 79...the 89 was mainly because of putting as I had 38 putts...I average 30 putts a round so that was horrible for me.

So bottom line is that the OP has to test these iron choices and not care what it looks like in his bag but how the irons he or she chosses perform out of the bag...clear as mud?

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. I know I have to go hit all the irons, thanks iguy I will look into the jpx 800s. My handicap is close to single digits bc of my putting. For whatever reason I can putt like a champ, my short game is sub par but is kind of masked by my putting. My ball striking is prob about 50/50 at best. Some days its great others its awful and that is usually why my rounds can influx so much. But thanks for all the help and I think I am going today or tomorrow to test out these irons but had a couple of months off because of winter so I want to get a couple of swings in before

For me - the issue is driving.

If I drive well, I'll shoot under 80, but alas, a demon lives beneath my headcover.

Originally Posted by Old1964

For me - the issue is driving.

If I drive well, I'll shoot under 80, but alas, a demon lives beneath my headcover.

I hear you...that use to be my problem and I guess in a way it still is as I do not even own a driver (see sig) because of this dilema...actually I think I have an issue with the 460 heads???  Anyway I actually won a American Amatuer Golf Tour event (they were bought by the Golf Channel Am-Tour) back in 2001 with the longest club in my bag being a 4 iron which I hit off the tee...I was a 12 handicap playing from the mens tees and I shot an 81 to win "C" flight...but that is how scared I am of a driver.  However, recently my full swing game has done a 180 deg on me...I have found somehting in my swing that seems to work really well off the tee but I am struggling with consistent iron shots...I am serious (not internet distances) when I say that I am avaregaing 250 off the tee with my TEE stong 3 wood as I track every one hit in the fairway with my On Par and I have hit quite a few over 270.  Also in my last few rounds I have hit 9-10 FIR.  But I cannot get a 9 iron on the green... ...this is driving me crazy...well I have a lesson this weekend with a new Pro that I have decided to try and he suppsoe to be really good so I am planning to start figuring out what is going on with my iron game...Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy game!!!

Definitely if you say your striking is so-so go with something more forgiving. The 53's or the JPX will give you forgiveness and both should be quite workable. One thing that many people overlook is the main purpose of the clubs they are using. The 58's will give you better control and shot shaping as long as contact is very good. If you are a player that only works the ball when needed and generally plays a straight shooter game, an iron with a slightly larger cavity will be preferable. If you like working every shot and generally play a riskier game then you might want to look at a blade or blade-like iron for the added workability. That's my 2 cents

• 11 months later...

Its a decision between feel and forgiveness.  The 53s are more forgiving but the 58s have more feel.  Both are great irons.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!